BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PASSION
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Lindsey 🙃
post Jun 28 2018, 03:01 AM
Post #1
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

*its 3am and Lindsey is posting yet another thread about things on her mind*

So passion is something that everyone is supposed to have, right? There's always supposed to be at least one element within your life that's your passion, your motivation for what you do etc etc. The thing is though, (I'm sorry this is gonna be a self indulgent post but I kinda need to talk about this with people that I think will get it), I'm now at the point in my life where I don't know what mine is??

I've just completed an honours degree in visual communication and design and i should now (in theory) be armed with what I need to go out and do what i want to do with my life and leave my stamp on the world, except i now don't want to do that. I've lost passion for the one career I've wanted to do for over a decade and idk if its because university killed me, im struggling to get a job in my field or I've just come to the realisation that it's not what I want to do with the rest of my life, i mean I could do it but I now don't know that its gonna give me the satisfaction that I'm looking for so I'm at a loss. I just want to make a difference to people and be happy. I'm thinking about going back to uni and doing a whole different degree entirely next year maybe in sociology or creative writing, because right now the thought of doing something with those, seems a lot more appealing than relying on my talent as a designer to get a job with what I've got rn laugh.gif I'm more passionate about some of the things I rant about on here than I am about design at this point which is a major red flag considering I'll spend most of my life working in it. I've left uni feeling really doubtful about myself, defeated and unexcited about the future. I don't even feel proud of what I've achieved, I'm kinda numb to it or just relieved it's over if anything and that's everything I shouldn't be feeling. I even lowkey regret doing my course but if I hadn't I wouldn't have met the people I did or grow as much as I have as a person but I feel like I've now wasted a chunk of my life following a path I maybe shouldn't have been on.

So okay loads of people are in careers they don't have a passion for but they can find it elsewhere in their lives but I feel as though I went to uni to make sure I was in a job I loved as we spend most of our lives working, it should be your passion if thats an option for you? I dont know what my alternatives are right now though, sure I've got other interests but are they enough?

Sorry this is a really ranty/messy post that I originally wasn't gonna make into a topic but I'm spiraling on this a bit so some insight from you guys will help with that, i basically just want to know if anyone can relate? How do you follow your passions in life? What did you do if you've ever been lost on what that is or what paths you should follow?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mattias
post Jun 28 2018, 06:40 AM
Post #2
the elusive Q.
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Oh gosh... Sorry you feel that way Lindsey... I suppose for one thing, try not to think things like "that's everything I shouldn't be feeling", I think that's such a common (and fair!) misconception, that once something happens then you'll feel a certain way or everything will appear to fall into place. Yes, oftentimes that is the case, but not always. You're "allowed" to feel whatever it is you're feeling, it can tell you a lot of things but at the same time you don't have to identify with what you're feeling super strongly, if you know what I mean. I do think something will come up for you and you'll go through other ups and downs in life, and things will fall into place, as hard as that can be to imagine sometimes.

I was always passionate about music and the way it makes me feel and I legit thought for a bit that I was going to try become a musician of some sort, but I realized fairly early on after experimenting with it for a bit, that maybe it just wasn't for me, and that it's okay to have sonic ideas and write lyrics etc but not necessarily make it into a reality.

I'm also passionate about photography but my knowledge is limited atm, also psychology or any area where I can throw insights back and forth between people. That made me come up with the idea of running like a self-development group but idk how to go about that yet :') I used to take part in one, we had a topic each week and would discuss it in depth, super interesting.

Good luck happy.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 28 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Don't worry Lindsey this is normal, SO many people on my course at University wanted to be journalists in first year but have been so put off by the stresses of this course that they no longer wish to pursue it further. But even if you feel this way, there are still other positives to take away from your time at University. That may be a boost in confidence, independence or as you mentioned, the forming of new friendships. I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way because despite these things, I can imagine no longer wanting to take up a career that you were previously interested in after all must be a pretty frustrating position to be in. But that's good that you're thinking of other options to pursue already and haven't completely hit a dead end. I took up Sociology as an A Level choice and absolutely loved it, I can imagine it being a subject area that could potentially be your thing for sure. It's a very interesting area. Creative writing sounds fun as well so either way I don't think you'd be going down a dull route by any stretch of the imagination!

I am a passionate person for sure and have always been somebody who would choose the fun career over the Earth shatteringly dull one that pays the bills better. Even with my first job it had to be something I would love. Working at HMV was actually my dream start into the world of work due to obviously being so passionate about music. Then I couldn't just settle for ordinary with work experience either and interned at a cat magazine as you all know laugh.gif

I'd say that I'm very passionate about music, writing and news & current affairs so the dream is a job as a print journalist. Or presenting the chart show, move over Scott Mills kink.gif It frustrates me to no end that I'm the ultimate oxymoron of an introverted journalist, but it's just something I'm going to have to deal with. I'm honestly so tired of holding myself back so I need to keep pushing myself out of my comfort zone and hopefully one day I'll be in a position where I'm loving my career. Maybe.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 28 2018, 01:43 PM
Post #4
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Omg Lindsey honestly you'd love Sociology, a lot of the things we always talk about/more often rant about are in that, there's a huge amount of research and academia about gender/sexuality for example and just general social inequalities and stuff which I absolutely loved, obviously courses would be different but gender would be in virtually all of them because it's so important. It's so much more interesting than psych which was my main degree subject with sociology as my minor and honestly I've lost count of the amount of times that I've wished I just took sociology by itself, I always got better grades and found it SO much more interesting so it was easier to engage with - I actually enjoyed writing some of the essays instead of dreading the work. It's one of those subjects that doesn't really feel like work sometimes because you're just ranting about things almost laugh.gif It makes the reading etc. you have to do really interesting as well, I found with psych a lot of the time I just didn't really care and it made for such turgid reading.

I've been thinking about doing a masters in it or teaching it/psych after I've taken a year out to save up a bit but f*** knows laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 28 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543

Iím sorry to hear that Lindsey, I can kinda relate as I graduated in psychology but I donít really want to work in that area. My plan is to just apply for general graduate jobs to find something as I donít really know what I want to do and I want to put my Brian to use, rather than working in jobs that donít require a degree which I havenít enjoyed.

Do you think it could be a confidence thing for you about your self-belief in your skills of designing or have you just completely gone off it?

Lots of people re-train or work in fields different to their degree course so donít feel like you have Ďwastedí the time as you have still learnt skills from it and experienced a broad range of experiences.

I agree with what Matty is saying, a lot of the time Ďshouldsí are what cause is emotional pain. Many therapists talk about how it is a dangerous word but it is an easy kinda thought to fall into.

Matty, also your self development group idea sounds great 👍

I donít really have a passion as my career right now, Iím not even working so my career is at a standstill 😂😂

What Iím most passionate about is probably dancing, Aquafit and swimming and I engage in these things weekly. Iím thinking of doing a course to train as a fitness instructor but Iím not sure just yet

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Jun 28 2018, 06:25 PM
Post #6
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I mean yea it is a bit of a confidence issue as well I guess but it's a bit of everything, it's just a struggle to get anywhere and I just don't know that it's worth it. I have always been reluctant about putting my stuff out there but found a bit more confidence when I started doing more illustration based stuff but I've been knocked because although my grades are good they aren't the best or what I feel I deserve. I was really hoping to come out with a 2:1 but it's looking likely i'll just miss out on that and get a 2:2 which is fine but I worked SO hard this year to the point i made myself ill ffs and I've not got much to show for it with that. I asked for feedback from my lecturers and its so basic and non-specific it's as useless as having nothing at all. Employers don't look at your grade anyway but universities do if I decide I want to do a postgrad but thats out the window if I don't get a 2:1 :/

Thanks guys, reading your responses has helped put things into perspective a bit more :')

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jun 29 2018, 03:36 AM
Post #7
It was only a mountain
Member No.: 19,534

I had fallen out of love with my career choice (architecture) by the time I graduated with my degree, it just ended up not being suited for me and I imagine there's loads of students who deal with the same thing. I couldn't grasp the structural side of it which was frustrating because that's the most important part, and I just didn't feel creative enough which was disappointing as well. I'm really lucky to have found a job in zoning (planning permission) that plays to my strengths a lot better and is still related to my degree so it doesn't feel like a total waste of money. It's one of the most passionate jobs I could imagine myself having tbh, and while I do feel it can happen for anyone since it happened to me, at the same time mine was the result of a lot of patience and a ridiculous amount of luck.

In your case Lindsey I think the red flags are genuine causes for concern, you've put so much time and effort into your education and if the end result doesn't feel rewarding now, how's it gonna feel in 5-10 years let alone 30-40? If you're getting these "what if" questions in your head they're worth listening to...and I'll leave it at that to avoid rambling!

Actually I feel like I'm lacking passion for anything outside of work, like when I get home I barely know what to do with myself other than browsing Buzzjack mostly. sad.gif That's been in the back of my mind for the last couple years and I haven't really discussed it or asked for help because idk if anyone would understand. Hopefully this thread will give me a push to start tackling that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 12:53 PM