BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spatial Awareness
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Jun 28 2018, 08:44 AM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Spatial awareness is the ability to be aware of oneself in space. It is an organised knowledge of objects in relation to oneself in that given space. Spatial awareness also involves understanding the relationship of these objects when there is a change of position.

This is an interesting subject, it suggests that you must have an inbuilt understanding of what is around you at all times from the largest to the smallest objects, both living and inanimate. Good spatial awareness allows us to understand the environment and our relationship to it. Spatial perception also consists of understanding the relationship between two objects when there is a change in their position in space. It’s generally considered to be something more seen in children but adults too have to have these basic life skills and the ability to read situations.

Space is what surrounds us: objects, elements, people, etc. Space also makes up part of our thinking, as it is where we join all of our experiences. In order to get proper information about the characteristics of our surroundings, we use two systems. It helps us think in two and three dimensions, which allows us to visualize objects from different angles and recognize them no matter the perspective that we see them from.

Visual system: The eye's visual receptors are located in the retina, in the back part of the eye. These receptors are responsible for sending the visual information that the eyes receive to the brain.

Haptic system: It is located around the body of a person and provides information regarding the position of the many parts of the body, the movement of the limbs, and the physical surface found in what is observed, like speed and stiffness.

The most prominent characteristic of this cognitive ability is that it allows us the ability to perceive our surroundings with shapes, sizes, distances, etc. Thanks to spatial perception, we can mentally reproduce objects in both 2D and 3D, and anticipate the changes in space.

BBC once reported that “Studies show that, on average, men are better than women at mentally rotating pictures of three dimensional objects (the 3D shapes task) or judging the slope of a line (the angles task)," but it seems that "women outperform men at other tasks. For example, women are more likely to spot which of a group of objects has been moved to a new position."

There are various free spatial awareness tests you can do online and see for yourself how aware you are of what is in front of you.

The following are some I found;

https://www.123test.com/spatial-reasoning-test/
https://www.aptitudeexercises.co.uk/tests/spatial_reasoning
https://www.fibonicci.com/spatial-reasoning/test/

I guess this may not generate much discussion but I think it’s good to bring it into focus and stop and think about these basic life principles for a moment and how they affect our everyday life.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Jun 28 2018, 09:59 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

A lot of people in supermarkets have a lack of spatial awareness. If I'm browsing a shelf,I will move my trolley to one side if someone else comes over to the same part. Other people don't always do the same thing as they have not noticed people around them. Then you get people chatting to each other in an aisle,unaware that they are getting in everyone's way. This might be down to plain rudeness but sometimes will be down to their lack of spatial awareness.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jun 28 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #3
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

^ or people that stop right in the middle of an obviously busy pathway to have a look around or chat to someone they’ve seen.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jun 28 2018, 10:22 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

I'm woeful at this.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 12:52 PM