BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Concert etiquette at standing gigs, Whats fair?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2018, 04:41 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I got to katy perry early last night along with hundreds of others, which means you get to patiently wait for a good view, especially important for kids and us shorter folk.

Having patiently hung around ages to suddenly find tall male frankenstein monsters pushing forward and blocking views so you have to move is a real pisser. The small girls next to me had to leave their mum and dad to move right to the edge to see katy.

Am i wrong to wish i had a pair of platform shoes that could make me 2 foot higher and stand in front of tall pushers-iners. Or just stop being heightist about it?

Suggestions welcome...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 29 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

My suggestion? Don't go to see Katy Perry.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 29 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

If I were Emperor, I would make a rule forbidding anyone 5 ft 9 and taller from standing near the front of any gigs so people who aren't as tall won't have their enjoyment marred.

Of course, it is for entirely rational reasons why I chose the 5 ft 9 threshold, and has absolutely nothing to do with myself being 5 ft 8.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 29 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #4
ducking quueb
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

That's why I choose sitting tbh! You can stand for most of it (although waiting for someone else to stand in the early songs can be awkward ;o) but have the option to sit down and things like that don't happen.

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 29 2018, 05:50 PM) *
My suggestion? Don't go to see Katy Perry.

Helpful.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 29 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 29 2018, 05:53 PM) *
If I were Emperor, I would make a rule forbidding anyone 5 ft 9 and taller from standing near the front of any gigs so people who aren't as tall won't have their enjoyment marred.

Of course, it is for entirely rational reasons why I chose the 5 ft 9 threshold, and has absolutely nothing to do with myself being 5 ft 8.

So many great people are 5ft 8 biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 29 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543

Earlier this year I went to see Steps and I queued since 11am and was the first one in the queue. I had a space at the front and partway through the support acts some one asked to go in front of me and I told them no as I had been queueing for so long and had been looking forward to it. I am 6 foot 2.

If people pushed in then I can see how that is annoying

When I saw Steps last year, some rude person pushed in front of me partway through and I found it rude, that’s why I stood my ground the following time as I didn’t want that happening again

What do you mean by Frankenstein monsters?

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 29 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #7
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

My absolute worst in this situations is when there's a boyfriend/dad/whatever, invariably like 6ft 5 and stocky, dragged along who clearly would rather die than be there and they spent the ENTIRE concert with their phone in the air recording it right in front of you....

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 29 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jun 29 2018, 07:11 PM) *
My absolute worst in this situations is when there's a boyfriend/dad/whatever, invariably like 6ft 5 and stocky, dragged along who clearly would rather die than be there and they spent the ENTIRE concert with their phone in the air recording it right in front of you....

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

All very useful so far smile.gif

Katy perry was fab so lets discount that otherwise sound option thanks simon, though i do agree all the best people are 5 foot 8, once upon a time the average height for men before nutrition, health and central heating became such a thing laugh.gif

Im a little more tolrant with standing and tall people at gigs, one of my mates has been helpfully clearing an area around him for years for me at gigs as he blocks the views of shorter statutes in the vicinity. Its a sort of short arse natural ethnic cleansing. I suggest we instead sort people with one of those theme park ride height checks short arses at the front, tallest at the back. If in agroup of mixed height friends who wish to stay together then tallest member of the group is the assigned region? laugh.gif

I agree about people who push in tombo and well done for standing your ground. The spanish bloke next to me wouldnt let a girl and her male friend in front, but most are more passive especially when confronted by the incredible hulk. The frankenstein monster blocked the views of the children, so i assume he had bolts in his neck - he waited till the lights went down and was at least a foot taller than me. Its possible he was one of the giant puppets katy had on stage during chained to the rhythm i guess.... laugh.gif

Liam, ooh mobile phones at gigs dont get me going! Particularly when everyone else blocking my view with phones all have way better phones than my rubbish piece of tat which takes blurry overlit photos and distorted hideous videos laugh.gif on the plus side ican see way beter footage of the concert than my feeble atempts online so glass half full i never have to bothr wasting my time and just enjoy the song instead of worrying about focus

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 30 2018, 12:28 AM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I’m 6 foot 4 and if you want to beat me to the front, get there before me. smile.gif

I’m not sacrificing my view and standing 50m away because some short f***s were too lazy to queue up in sufficient time to get a decent view. That’s entirely on you.

If I’m banned from the front row of a gig then anyone under 6 foot should be banned from extra leg room seats on aircraft and they should be free for those of us who actually need them

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 30 2018, 01:03 AM
Post #11
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

I don't mind taller people being at the front at all, I think it is really stupid to just be like "I'm shorter so I should be at the front" laugh.gif It's who gets there first, plain and simple, if someone is tall and is in front then that's their right if they queued up and got there, you can just move to the side a bit or something. It's not school picture day where you stand at the back to not block others rotf.gif I just hate when the ones who look miserable as f*** do all they can to block your view even more. With standing though I guess you do end up shifting a bit and moving as you dance etc. so you don't just stay plonked behind the same person for the whole thing anyway.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jul 1 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #12
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I stood at Stereophonics last month and was nowhere near the front but I could see a tiny Kelly Jones, could see him on the screen and could hear it all well enough. My problem was that I was driving, therefore sober. And with the gig being in Wrexham it meant everyone else was a drunk lunatic so I think next time I will probably sit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 12:50 PM