BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> STEREOTYPES
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Jul 2 2018, 11:56 PM
Post #1
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Of course we are all quite bound by society's categories and a lot of the time we use quick stereotypes to categorise and judge people, it's not always a huge deal or that damaging but it *can* be.

What stereotypes might there be about you based on who you are and parts of your identity? Are there any that annoy you or any you actually quite like? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Jul 3 2018, 12:06 AM
Post #2
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Omg I don't know tbh, I've always wondered if people can tell I'm not straight without me saying but I think I come off as pretty neutral? There's probably loads of stereotypes that are true to me, i just can't think of any right now so if anyone has suggestions then please throw them at me :')

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 3 2018, 12:10 AM
Post #3
Brown cow, stunning!

I think my music taste is a big one for me, since like early secondary school I've always got "your music taste is so gay!!1!!1", well it's more varied now and people are more mature so don't say shit but as a teenager especially that was one that *really* bothered me laugh.gif That I got sort of picked on and singled out and categorised becasue I like Lady Gaga not Lil Wayne was just stupid and kind of made me feel bad about it, it was a tiny thing that made me feel like I was so different and wrong.

I guess I have that sort of "typical" gay tinge to my voice and mannerisms in certain ways too, like I said in the campness thread when I'm excited in situations like a concert or a party and I'm having the most fun and that side jumps out laugh.gif And I can be catty/bitchy which is a common gay stereotype ofc.

As for where I'm from my accent always gets the whole "farmer" thing, there are people at uni who legit must think I live in just a collection of farms bc I have a Bristol accent, not like it's a city hun xx

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jul 3 2018, 12:37 AM
Post #4
Now That’s What Wardy Calls Music!
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I’m not sure if this comes into this subject or if I am digressing, but I just wanted to ask if you think as a nation there are still class distinctions between people in the upper class and lower class of society?

Sometimes people can make a judgement if they think we are poor or if we lack much materially in the world we might blame the richer people who seem to have it all. It’s not right or proper but it is very much built into human DNA where we feel that acquisition means wealth, fame and security but anything less than basic is viewed as poor or a sign of weakness.

In fact, I think the term “first class” should be done way with, as I feel it engenders discrimination toward those less than first class, however if it were renamed “premium” and anything else was standard then that would be more courteous I think.

So yeah, I think people can be stereotypical when it comes to making impressions of others.

This post has been edited by awardinary: Jul 3 2018, 12:43 AM

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Jul 3 2018, 07:16 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah accent is one for me too, especially as there are connotations of the Bristol accent signifying a low intelligence. When I talk in a group setting, it often feels like people don't take what I say seriously and instead take the piss out of the way I say certain words (anything with an 'r' sound especially). It can be quite funny, but not all the time.

Also, being asked to sing the Wurzels more than once can get old very quickly.

+Quote Post
Mattias
post Jul 3 2018, 07:54 AM
Post #6
the elusive Q.
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Because I'm Estonian I must be a cold ass person and spend all weekends drinking vodka in a sauna whilst telling anecdotes with Kerli and Arvo Pärt... xo

jk, maybe if I still lived there I'd do those things ~

I honestly don't know, I guess I don't quite fit anywhere in a way. I do remember one thing. When I was at school, a teacher I was talking to would assume that I was "definitely very good at maths and science" and I was just like "eh.. nah". I mean I was okay at them (apart from Higher Level maths, ugh) but I felt like she was lumping me into a category like that because I wear glasses and had awful hair? laugh.gif tbf she was trying to get to know me etc, heck knows I didn't reveal much about myself at school.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 3 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #7
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Jul 3 2018, 08:16 AM) *
Yeah accent is one for me too, especially as there are connotations of the Bristol accent signifying a low intelligence. When I talk in a group setting, it often feels like people don't take what I say seriously and instead take the piss out of the way I say certain words (anything with an 'r' sound especially). It can be quite funny, but not all the time.

Also, being asked to sing the Wurzels more than once can get old very quickly.

Actually that reminds me of this one girl from my sociology seminar one semester and she would legit just be like "you wouldn't expect you to say what you're saying with that accent, wow you're actually so clever!111!" as if it was a surprise that I actually knew anything laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 3 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

This sounds a tad big headed oops but I feel like I'm put in the 'intelligent' box a lot, cos I'm quiet in most situations and keep my head down and get on with things and have solved a FEW basic IT problems and being teacher qualified as well as knowing a lot about certain areas of interest. I don't fully believe it myself but I equally don't mind others thinking that of me kink.gif I think I'm just missing a pair of glasses and I could fit that stereotype entirely.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 10:56 AM