BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> National Album Day - 13th October, Week long celebrations with BBC Music to mark 70 years of the album
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Jul 24 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

From OfficialCharts.com:

The very first National Album Day has been announced.

A week of celebrations culminating on the 70th anniversary of the album on Saturday October 13 will take place, with all corners of the British music industry coming together to honour the format.

Organised by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and the Entertainment Retailer's Association (ERA) in association with BBC Music, National Album Day will explore the UK's love of the album, with new releases, classic albums and iconic album sleeves all receiving recognition.

In addition to the BBC generating a series of content across BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 1Xtra, BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, and BBC Radio 6 Music stations plus on BBC iPlayer and BBC Four, OfficialCharts.com will reflect upon the Official Albums Chart's legacy, plus bring you stories and features full of chart trivia all about the nation's favourite albums.

In 2017 135m albums were either purchased, downloaded or streamed, a rise of 9.5% on the previous year. 4.1m vinyl albums were snapped up in 2017 – the highest level since the start of the 1990’s. The BPI estimates that a staggering 5 billion albums have been sold in the UK since the format’s origin in 1948.

“The British continue to be among the most the enthusiastic fans of music across the globe and they express this love by spending more than £8 million every single week on their favourite albums," stated Martin Talbot, Chief Executive Official Charts Company.

"The Official Albums Chart has been documenting this love affair every week for more than 60 years, but a National Album Day, to provide a new, special celebration of this great, much-loved and venerated institution, is long overdue.”

National Album Day's first ambassador Paloma Faith commented: "The way we engage with music may be changing, but for me the album remains the ultimate expression of the songwriter’s craft."

More information about National Album Day can be found over at @AlbumDayUK on Twitter, with conversation available via the hashtag #NationalAlbumDay.

This sounds like a good initiative. Especially when it's from the team behind Record Store Day as well, and particularly good as Q4 gets into its prime around that time as well. I wonder if we'll get some special/exclusive releases to commemorate this event?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ben08
post Jul 24 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 5,152
   No Gallery Pics

Or maybe the best selling albums of the last 70 years.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 24 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

In 2017 135m albums were either purchased, downloaded or streamed, a rise of 9.5% on the previous year.

I call shenanigans on that quote - I get that the industry want to get behind albums, but people are buying them in fewer and fewer numbers. Considerably less than in 2010 (album sales halved since 2010 in the UK) the total was actually around 45.8m physical sales last year, a DECLINE of almost 10% year-on-year. The 135m figure is bolstered significantly by SES which is just a nominal figure based on ALL of the streaming from last year whether that was listening to a playlist, an album, or whatever.. it doesn't IMO signify that albums were becoming increasingly popular - indeed I think the opposite is true.

Just look at the current top three in the midweeks - a 100th edition of a long-running compilation series and two soundtracks to musicals. The rest of the chart can barely muster up a few thousand sales. I think the album format will be around for a while, especially vinyl with its recent resurgence, but I can't really see the point about celebrating a format that is becoming increasingly niche and less irrelevant ?

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: Jul 24 2018, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 05:13 PM