BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Big Finish ē Audio Stories, doctor who, torchwood, star cops, the avengers
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Aug 26 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #1
MP for Flydale North
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Big Finish is a production company that produces hundreds of audio drama, including many full cast stories. They have a HUGE Doctor Who range, with stories spanning the first 11 Doctors (so far!!) as well as following many other companions and other supporting characters. They've also expanded into producing Torchwood and Class stories. There's also a lot of stuff there for fans of classic TV dramas such as Blake's 7, Dark Shadows, Terrahawks, The Avengers, Star Cops, The Prisoner, Survivors and Callan. They also recently released three audiobooks based on Star Trek. Additionally, they've expanded into producing original stories.

They have a VERY impressive list of actors who have worked for them, including Doctors 4-8 & 10, John Hurt, Derek Jacobi, David Bradley, almost all of the Doctor Who companions, the Torchwood cast, Celia Imrie, Simon Pegg, Tim McInnery, David Warner, Hugh Bonneville, Jessica Hynes and many, many more.

It has been very good on massively expanding on elements of the Doctor Who universe such as seeing a more established 6th Doctor, actually giving the 8th Doctor some stories and building upon The War Doctor and the War Master. It has also seen a cross-over event with Doctors 4-8 and next year sees the company celebrate its 20th anniversary with a HUGE crossover event with Doctors 3-8 all appearing as well as River Song, UNIT, Jo, Ace, Leela, Romana and other characters from the Big Finish stories.

You can hear River Song meeting Doctors 4-8, hear the classic Doctors face monsters from the New Series, hear the official fifth (and now sixth) Torchwood series as well as stories from the Class universe.

The one downside is that they are all overpriced and too expensive in my opinion. Even getting the bundles means paying £60 for the full 5th series of Torchwood (12 x 1 hour stories) which is a lot more you would pay for a TV boxset!! I've known about Big Finish for a loooong time but only just starting getting stuff thanks to a '99 for 99p' promotion where 99 stories were being sold for 99p. They do make for nice additions to the Doctor Who universe and perhaps allow for stories that would be out of budget for the original show. I've just been building a small collection as and when they have special offers (which I watch out for through their Twitter account).

Currently they have fourth Doctor stories for £3 download each and you can also get the first 100 stories for the main Doctor Who range for £3 each.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Aug 26 2018, 07:53 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

Big Finish (the Doctor who stories at least) has always been something I've been interested in getting into, but the price has always put me off, so maybe I should look out for these deals. They have some really really interesting stories so it's a shame they have to be so expensive sad.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Aug 26 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #3
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh, definitely look out for the deals, Iíve been able to pick up a few bargains and Iím currently looking to see what Fourth Doctor omes I want!

I completely know what you mean, thereís SO much Iím interested in (River Song, War Doctor, Time War stories, Torchwood) but I cannot justify the price. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Aug 27 2018, 09:13 PM
Post #4
nabad
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,316

In the same boat that there's SO much Doctor Who material by Big Finish that I really want to hear (the River Song and Eighth Doctor stories in particular), but the prices are a little too high.

I'm also very intrigued to hear the new Class stories since it was cruelly denied a second series x

+Quote Post
ElectroBoy
post Aug 27 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,002
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Calum @ Aug 27 2018, 10:13 PM) *
In the same boat that there's SO much Doctor Who material by Big Finish that I really want to hear (the River Song and Eighth Doctor stories in particular), but the prices are a little too high.

I'm also very intrigued to hear the new Class stories since it was cruelly denied a second series x

If you want some Eighth Doctor stories then the first 100 (I think) main range releases are only 99p on Download.

But I guess that doesn't encompass the new series.

This post has been edited by ElectroBoy: Aug 27 2018, 09:14 PM

+Quote Post
Calum
post Aug 27 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #6
nabad

QUOTE(ElectroBoy @ Aug 27 2018, 10:14 PM) *
If you want some Eighth Doctor stories then the first 100 (I think) main range releases are only 99p on Download.

But I guess that doesn't encompass the new series.

Oh are they? ohmy.gif That's good, surprised they're as cheap as that. I am a bit weird though in the sense that I'd need to have the physical copy if I was building up a collection. kink.gif I may download a couple to see what they're like first though. Thanks for that, Electro!

+Quote Post
ElectroBoy
post Aug 27 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,002
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Calum @ Aug 27 2018, 10:17 PM) *
Oh are they? ohmy.gif That's good, surprised they're as cheap as that. I am a bit weird though in the sense that I'd need to have the physical copy if I was building up a collection. kink.gif I may download a couple to see what they're like first though. Thanks for that, Electro!

Edit... actually they're 2.99 biggrin.gif

Actually the first 50 and some of the other ranges are also on Spotify - in fact the first 8th Dr/ Lucie Miller series is on there

This post has been edited by ElectroBoy: Aug 27 2018, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Aug 27 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #8
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ElectroBoy @ Aug 27 2018, 10:18 PM) *
Edit... actually they're 2.99 biggrin.gif

Actually the first 50 and some of the other ranges are also on Spotify - in fact the first 8th Dr/ Lucie Miller series is on there

WHAT. Why did I not know they were on Spotify before?? ohmy.gif

Thanks for the heads up!

I’m in shock at how much is on there - bye bye Apple Music

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Sep 20 2018, 07:13 PM
Post #9
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

HEY MISSY.

Missy is BACK.

(as is The Meddling Monk for any First Doctor fans)

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/missy-returns

She will return in at least four of her own stories (it does say Volume 1 so expect mooore) as we explore her life away from the Doctor! Really exciting because, aside from Bill, Missy was the best thing about 12ths era. Why do I not have all the money in the world D:

If you look at the bottom of the above article, there are also some offers on for anyone interested in Master stories, including the special 50th Anniversary crossover event The Light at the End (featuring Doctors 4-8!) for £5 download, £6 CD which I may have just got for myself kink.gif

+Quote Post
Calum
post Sep 23 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #10
nabad

I'd love to hear the Missy stories, she really was one of the best things about Capaldi's era! Would be interesting to see just how evil she could be when she's not around the Doctor.

Apparently it's not been announced yet, but the artwork etc is all on Big Finish's website - but Volume 3 of The Tenth Doctor Adventures is supposedly coming soon, featuring Donna, Wilf and Sylvia. (artwork here) Really wish the audios weren't as expensive as they are as it's a franchise I would definitely be inclined to invest in / start collecting if they were about £10 cheaper.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2020 - 11:11 PM