BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 31st August 2018
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Aug 31 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Welcome one and all to my top 20 for this week - thanks for the kind words about last week's chart smile.gif Have All Saints held onto my top spot for a second week, or have one of three new entries from Kylie, Jess Glynne or Rick Astley in my top 10 or a climber from Dennis Lloyd nudged them off? Let's find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 31st August 2018
AM LIMITED 2018

1. (1) ALL SAINTS - After All
2. (4) DENNIS LLOYD - Nevermind
3. (3) GEORGE EZRA - Shotgun
4. (2) SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR - Love Is You
5. (HNE) KYLIE MINOGUE - A Lifetime To Repair
6. (5) WARD THOMAS - Lie Like Me
7. (NE) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am
8. (6) CLAIRE RICHARDS - On My Own
9. (NE) RICK ASTLEY - Try
10. (8) NIALL HORAN - Finally Free

11. (NE) KT TUNSTALL - The River
12. (10) DANNY JONES - Is This Still Love
13. (20) CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
14. (9) GABRIELLE - Thank You
15. (7) THE SHIRES - Echo
16. (16) CHEAT CODES & LITTLE MIX - Only You
17. (NE) PAUL SIMON - One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor
18. (15) LOUIS YORK & THE SHINDELLAS - No Regrets
19. (12) NOW UNITED - Summer In The City
20. (11) LENNY KRAVITZ - 5 More Days Til' Summer

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry

CHART COMMENTARY

A more stable week - relatively, anyway - and only five new entries to my top 20 means All Saints consolidate their success to spend a second week at the summit with 'After All'. Of their five chart toppers on my personal chart to date - this being the fifth that we mentioned last week - only 'Rock Steady' now has the distinction of being their only one on my personal chart to spend just a solitary seven days at number one.

Dennis Lloyd moves up again this week with 'Nevermind' to secure its highest placing yet of #2. Kylie Minogue's third single from her 'Golden' album ensures she has her 24th top 10 hit in my personal chart history, as 'A Lifetime To Repair' enters at #5 to claim the week's highest new entry. The album's lead single 'Dancing' made #2 back in January, whilst 'Stop Me From Falling' hit #3 back in April. It's also only her third single to peak at #5. The others are 'Red Blooded Woman' from March 2004 and 'Get Outta My Way' from September 2010.

'I'll Be There' gave Jess Glynne another number one single on my personal chart back in May, and which now drops out of my top 20 after a four month run. Based on the first week performance of 'All I Am', which debuts strongly at #7, it would be silly to rule out this one not matching its predocessor before her long awaited second album, 'Always In Between' is released on 12th October.

If you'd asked certain cynics or hacks three decades ago if Kylie Minogue's former PWL labelmate Rick Astley would still be around hitting the charts, many would have laughed. But the celebrated 'Never Gonna Give You Up' hitmaker had the last laugh in 2016 with his hugely successful comeback album '50' and now with its follow-up release, 'Beautiful Life'. The title track hit #8 back in June, and now its second single 'Try' enters at #9 - his fifth top 20 hit to date.

March 2008. That was the last time KT Tunstall had a single in my top 20, when 'If Only', the third single from her second album 'Drastic Fantastic', debuted and peaked at #11. Over 10 years later, 'The River', the lead single from her sixth studio album 'Wax' enters at the same position. Her biggest single in my personal chart to date remains 'Other Side of the World', which hit number one just over 13 years ago in May 2005, followed by 'Suddenly I See', 'Under The Weather' and 'Hold On', all reaching #2 in September 2005, December 2005 and August 2007 respectively.

Christine and the Queens are now within an ace of matching the #12 peak of their last single 'Girlfriend', as '5 Dollars' climbs seven places to #13 this week. Lauded and loved for both his solo work and his former singing and songwriting partnership with Art Garfunkel, Paul Simon is currently on his farewell world tour, which took in several UK stops including London's Hyde Park for the British Summertime Festival back in July. 'One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor' is actually a re-recording of a lesser known track from his 1973 album 'There Goes Rhymin' Simon', and is taken from his new album of similarly themed reworkings 'In The Blue Light', out next week. It lands at #17 on my personal chart this week.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Aug 31 2018, 04:40 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JSG
post Sep 2 2018, 09:12 AM
Post #2
'Run Away With Me'
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,473

Helloooooo

1. (1) ALL SAINTS - After All Good #1!
3. (3) GEORGE EZRA - Shotgun
5. (HNE) KYLIE MINOGUE - A Lifetime To Repair
7. (NE) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am wub.gif It would be great to see this peak really high. please. Thanks 😘
8. (6) CLAIRE RICHARDS - On My Own
12. (10) DANNY JONES - Is This Still Love
13. (20) CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
14. (9) GABRIELLE - Thank You
15. (7) THE SHIRES - Echo
16. (16) CHEAT CODES & LITTLE MIX - Only You music.gif I got tired of this so quickly lol.

Good chart!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2020 - 10:58 PM