BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

> -
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bauer Stations to drop ‘The Big Top 40 Show’, The chart will only air on Global Stations from January
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
gavindeejay
post Sep 19 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #1
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

Source:- https://radiotoday.co.uk/2018/09/bauer-stat...ig-top-40-show/

Bauer is pulling out of the industry-wide Vodafone Big Top 40 show when its contract runs out in December.

As a result, Global has informed all stations currently taking the show, including those owned by UKRD, Wireless, Quidem, Lincs FM Group and Nation Broadcasting, that it has been forced to withdraw the chart from syndication.

A Global Spokesperson told RadioToday: “As a result of Bauer’s decision it is no longer possible for Global to offer an industry-wide product to the wider network. However the chart will still be widely available on Capital and Heart.”

Hits Radio Manchester has already replaced the chart countdown with an entertainment-led show called “This Week’s Biggest Hits” hosted by Sarah-Jane Crawford, and RadioToday understands this show will go across Bauer’s Hits Radio network from the new year.

Marvin Humes and Kat Shoob currently host the chart across 140 radio stations with an audience each week of millions. It is the single biggest radio programme on UK commercial radio, and together with its previous names such as the Nescafe Network Chart Show, The Pepsi Chart and Hit40uk, has been going since 1984.

Bauer confirmed the move to RadioToday, saying: “Our focus at all times is to offer our listeners distinctive choice and content – it’s crucial to our success and radio’s continued relevance, the industry is facing increased competition from other forms of audio entertainment and we are relentless in our desire to innovate.”

The Sunday afternoon show will only air on Heart and Capital stations from the new year, including those run by Communicorp.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Sep 19 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 19,585
   No Gallery Pics

I'm honestly surprised it's still going! Back in the day I used to prefer to listen to it for its live Top 10 when iTunes had that impact but now how even relevant is this chart anymore?

+Quote Post
mdh
post Sep 19 2018, 07:02 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

gutted

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Sep 19 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #4
i need you the most
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Sep 19 2018, 07:53 PM) *
I'm honestly surprised it's still going! Back in the day I used to prefer to listen to it for its live Top 10 when iTunes had that impact but now how even relevant is this chart anymore?

Well as it says there, it's the biggest show on commercial radio so it must be doing something right! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Sep 19 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #5
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Marvin and Kat do a better job than Scott Mills - who spends half his air time slagging him off like a petty teenager - does with a chart rundown anyway!

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Sep 19 2018, 07:14 PM
Post #6
i need you the most

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Sep 19 2018, 08:06 PM) *
Marvin and Kat do a better job than Scott Mills - who spends half his air time slagging him off like a petty teenager - does with a chart rundown anyway!

I mean he puts a lot of emphasis on the fact that the Radio 1 chart is the only official one... which is simply the truth tongue.gif

+Quote Post
coi
post Sep 19 2018, 07:17 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Sep 19 2018, 08:14 PM) *
I mean he puts a lot of emphasis on the fact that the Radio 1 chart is the only official one... which is simply the truth tongue.gif

The Big Top 40 says the same thing really. It's actually called "The Official Vodafone Big Top 40" now!

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Sep 19 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #8
i need you the most

QUOTE(coi @ Sep 19 2018, 08:17 PM) *
The Big Top 40 says the same thing really. It's actually called "The Official Vodafone Big Top 40" now!

Not quite the same thing but it's deceptive!

+Quote Post
coi
post Sep 19 2018, 07:53 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Sep 19 2018, 08:19 PM) *
Not quite the same thing but it's deceptive!

Very, the word 'official' is used far too frequently there. They also say things along the lines of 'this is the only chart that truly reflects the most popular songs in the UK right now'

+Quote Post
Tedward
post Sep 19 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #10
CURSED
Member No.: 69,463
   No Gallery Pics

The thing is though, Big Top 40 is shit. Stuff like You Deserve Better has managed to get into that chart at like #13 when it hasn't even been in OCC's Top 40. Plus These Days had a stupidly long run at #1 instead of God's Plan, which I will never agree with. Scott has every reason to slag it off :^)

This post has been edited by Tedward: Sep 19 2018, 09:05 PM

+Quote Post
coi
post Sep 19 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tedward @ Sep 19 2018, 10:02 PM) *
The thing is though, Big Top 40 is shit. Stuff like You Deserve Better has managed to get into that chart at like #13 when they haven't even been in OCC's Top 40. Plus These Days had a stupidly long run at #1 instead of God's Plan, which I will never agree with. Scott has every reason to slag it off :^)

Ever since they stopped using the iTunes top ten I've hated it. It's all ridiculously weighted in favour of their own airplay, and they claim it's official haha

+Quote Post
Botchia
post Sep 19 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #12
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Sep 19 2018, 08:03 PM) *
Well as it says there, it's the biggest show on commercial radio so it must be doing something right! tongue.gif

By default as it's the only one which airs on practically every major commercial radio station tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Sep 19 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #13
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

It's popularity does baffle me even if I'm being biased by my disdain for it, it makes no sense (tracks go from being in the top 10 one minute to being out of the chart the next, don't even get me started on the top 10 'lockdown' thing, I don't even know if they still do that as I avoided it like the plague after the one show I listened to when it first aired) and the iTunes chart has got increasingly less representative so it isn't even reflective of popularity anymore. I mean I get that it's forced on people being on every radio station bar BBC so there's a lot of passive listening, but people actually tuning in for it is an enigma.

+Quote Post
coi
post Sep 19 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Sep 19 2018, 11:11 PM) *
It's popularity does baffle me even if I'm being biased by my disdain for it, it makes no sense (tracks go from being in the top 10 one minute to being out of the chart the next, don't even get me started on the top 10 'lockdown' thing, I don't even know if they still do that as I avoided it like the plague after the one show I listened to when it first aired) and the iTunes chart has got increasingly less representative so it isn't even reflective of popularity anymore. I mean I get that it's forced on people being on every radio station bar BBC so there's a lot of passive listening, but people actually tuning in for it is an enigma.

They stopped doing the iTunes top ten thing in 2017 though, so there's no chance for the public to get any controversial songs in there now really because they control it with the radio airplay.

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Sep 19 2018, 10:22 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

I remember when it was a big deal for newly released songs getting to number one hours after being released at midnight on Sundays. They might as well discontinue this chart altogether.

+Quote Post
coi
post Sep 19 2018, 10:26 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I remember tuning in for the top ten on many occasions when it looked like a song Capital/Heart don’t like playing is in the iTunes top ten on Sunday afternoon so I can hear them play it and pretend they love it. This can’t happen anymore though, so I just don’t bother with it

This post has been edited by coi: Sep 19 2018, 10:27 PM

+Quote Post
Tedward
post Sep 19 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #17
CURSED
Member No.: 69,463
   No Gallery Pics

It's honestly so bad. Shotgun never went to #1 on that chart as Capital never playlisted it (or any of George's other songs!)

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Sep 20 2018, 07:14 AM
Post #18
MP for Flydale North
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Sep 19 2018, 08:06 PM) *

More like they keep acting as if its the Official Chart and even have the cheek of saying the Official Vodafone Big Top 40 as if that even means anything!

The whole chart is entirely ridiculous and is just made up by Global, it is totally embarrassing. It’s also completely rude to call it The Big Top 40 with Marvin Humes as if Kat is on work experience!!

+Quote Post
AcerBen
post Sep 20 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,429
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Sep 19 2018, 11:11 PM) *

Most people probably don't realise that the chart is unofficial. Or they don't care. People are only really interested in who is #1 or just listening to the most popular songs generally. Who cares whether it's number 5 or number 8, it's still the same show as Radio 1 but the songs played in a slightly different order.

+Quote Post
coi
post Sep 20 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(AcerBen @ Sep 20 2018, 10:58 AM) *
Most people probably don't realise that the chart is unofficial. Or they don't care. People are only really interested in who is #1 or just listening to the most popular songs generally. Who cares whether it's number 5 or number 8, it's still the same show as Radio 1 but the songs played in a slightly different order.

It isn't the same though. They only play songs they like, and so some songs that reach the top ten in the Official Chart make no appearance at all in the Big Top 40.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2020 - 03:35 AM