BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would Kylie's Sigala collaboration have made a good lead?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
'What You Waiting For?' as lead single...
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 15
Guests cannot vote 
Liam.k.
post Sep 28 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Seen a few reports claiming that Kylie's recent Sigala collaboration was considered for the lead single to Kylie's 14th studio album before she found a new inspiration in Nashville.

Would 'What You Waiting For?' have made a good lead single (of course assuming that was the sound she persude for her album)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pippa
post Sep 28 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

By large, i don't think it would.
Dancing, done what it needed to do for the Golden album.
That said, i feel it would have made a good follow up to Dancing with Stop Me From Falling following up as the third single.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Sep 28 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,155

So pleased this wasn’t the lead! We would have had a KMO style success if it had of been as it doesn’t represent the album at all.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Sep 28 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

If it had been the lead, Golden would not have done any better as an album but i would be confident it wouldn't have sold as good as it has to date.
The likely outcome as you say would have been an album on the same success as Kiss Me Once.

+Quote Post
Red Blooded Man
post Sep 28 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 822
   No Gallery Pics

No, Dancing has a more thumping sound than this bland progressive house track.

+Quote Post
Jay*
post Sep 28 2018, 04:43 PM
Post #6
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

It's worth noting that What You Waiting For would have had a totally different production had they kept it for Kylie's album - we can't really consider the track we've ended up with on the Sigala album as being what she'd have hypothetically released. So I can't really consider whether it would have been good or bad lead.

Regardless, I think she made the right call to change course and go with a sound that seemingly rejuvenated her passion, so Dancing was the perfect choice. What You Waiting For? was going to have a poppy production, so maybe it'd have been seen as same old, same old.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Sep 28 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #7
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

Yeah, exactly. He said himself he's totally changed it from what it was when it was first suggested as something from Kylie's album last year.

It probably wouldn't have been an ideal lead single in its current form, but I'm pretty sure it was probably poppier/more commercial in its original form.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Sep 28 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

For Kylie, it is also better she done her comeback solo and not reliant on a name to get her back in the Top 40.

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Sep 28 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Dancing was and is a great lead choice do its a no from me.

+Quote Post
dan-G
post Sep 28 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #10
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

personally I'm glad this wasn't the Kylie lead so that we got it as a dancey Sigala song, and besides, 'Dancing' did its job as lead single perfectly.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Sep 29 2018, 07:41 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(pippa @ Sep 28 2018, 06:50 PM) *
For Kylie, it is also better she done her comeback solo and not reliant on a name to get her back in the Top 40.

This! So many acts can have dance collab huge hits and then go on to relative failure with follow ups so I’m pleased the Sigala track and any success it may or may not have will be separate from Golden.

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Sep 29 2018, 09:57 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

A collaboration like this I feel is better at the end of a campaign as it helps stretch the era a bit further, it's like recent cheat codes and little mix collaboration it help keep tgeir album ticking over once they had released all their own main singles from the album.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Sep 29 2018, 05:45 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

No - it wouldn’t have made a good lead single. Her voice is over processed and for me, it’s a step back like something she might have done 10-15 years ago. In comparison, golden as an album is more fresh sounding and relevant to her as an artist now.

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Sep 30 2018, 07:38 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Sep 28 2018, 05:20 PM) *
Seen a few reports claiming that Kylie's recent Sigala collaboration was considered for the lead single to Kylie's 14th studio album before she found a new inspiration in Nashville.

When was WYWF recorded? Before Kylie started working on her whole Golden album?!? It's hard to believe that Sigala held back this song for so long, so I don't think those reports are true... WYWF might have come along when Golden was in the works or already finished, so it would have been a bad lead single, because Golden's style is too different.

+Quote Post
Jay*
post Sep 30 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #15
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

Sigala was interviewed by Official Charts Company in June 2017:

How does someone like Kylie approach you about doing a song?

“In that case it was through the co-writers of the song. This song, which is hopefully going to be a Kylie single, I actually wrote for myself with a woman called Gina KushKa and these songwriters called The Invisible Men, who worked with me on Say You Do.

“I always loved the song but I wasn’t sure it was right for me, so I asked them to help find another home for it. They’d already been working on songs for Kylie – they played me loads of stuff they’ve done for her album the other day – so that was a good in with her and her team. They played her the song and apparently she loved the song from the word go."

That’s kind of amazing isn’t it? Imagine have a place in Kylie's discography?

“It’s really bizarre for me! She was and still is one of the biggest names in pop. I haven’t met her yet, but hopefully we will when we finish off the song.”

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/s...terview__19381/

So it's certainly been a long time coming, and it's noteworthy that he said above "Hopefully going to be a Kylie single", i.e. at that stage it was up for consideration on her album, rather than his.

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Sep 30 2018, 09:20 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for sharing, Jay! So Sigala might have hoped back then that WYWF would made it on the album, but the producers figured out it wouldn't make sense - and they were right!

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Sep 30 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Would love to hear the song in its original form - I’m sure it’ll leak at some point.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Sep 30 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #18
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

I think more than anything, the reason it didn't make the album as during the recording process the direction of it totally changed and resulted in Golden.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2020 - 09:44 PM