BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 12th October 2018
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 12th October 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Hello all, here comes my brand new top 20 this week. Olly Murs debuted at number one last week for the fourteenth time in my personal chart history - a new record - but is he still at the top with 'Moves' or has he succumbed to the challenge of some new entries? Here's where we find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 12th October 2018
© AM LIMITED 2018

1. (1) OLLY MURS FEAT. SNOOP DOGG - Moves
2. (2) RAK-SU - I Want You To Freak
3. (3) LSD - Thunderclouds
4. (4) LAUV - I Like Me Better
5. (HNE) CLAIRE RICHARDS - End Before We Start
6. (5) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am
7. (6) NOW UNITED - Who Would Think That Love?
8. (8) CHRISTINE & THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
9. (NE) SHAWN MENDES - Lost In Japan (Zedd Remix)
10. (19) ROBYN - Honey

11. (9) RITA ORA - Let You Love Me
12. (10) SILK CITY & DUA LIPA - Electricity
13. (NE) KODALINE - Head Held High
14. (12) NINA NESBITT - Loyal To Me
15. (11) NILE RODGERS & CHIC FEAT. CRAIG DAVID AND STEFFLON DON - Sober
16. (7) FOUR OF DIAMONDS FEAT. SAWEETIE - Stupid Things
17. (NE) MICHAEL BUBLÉ - When I Fall In Love
18. (15) JOHN LEGEND - Preach
19. (NE) JIMOTHY LACOSTE - Fashion
20. (13) ALL SAINTS - After All

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry

CHART COMMENTARY

It's unusual for a week with at least five new entries to my personal top 20 to result in a unchanged top 4, but that's precisely what has happened this week, as Olly Murs spends a second week at number one with 'Moves', whilst Rak-Su, LSD and Lauv all hold their positions from last week below him.

One thing we forgot to mention last week: Ed Sheeran is the writer of Murs' landmark 14th chart topper (and also previously co-wrote 'Love Shine Down', a track on his eponymous debut album in 2010). Combined with his own four number ones he has had on my personal chart, it now means he has had five chart toppers in total as a writer and a performer. And with another big name new single set to arrive next week which - you guessed it - he just so happens to have a hand in, (or should that be pen?) that number could yet rise to six. And I don't need to tell you which one that is, do I?

Claire Richards has just dipped out my top 20 after an eight week run - including five inside the top 10 - with her solo debut 'On My Own', which debuted and peaked at #4 in August. The follow-up, 'End Before We Start', proves that that was no fluke for the Steps starlet, as it claims the week's biggest new hit at #5. Her debut solo album 'My Wildest Dreams' is now set for release at the beginning of next year.

Shawn Mendes scaled my top 5 in April with 'In My Blood', the first single from his self titled third album, but found the going a little tougher with the second single 'Nervous', which only made it as far as #17 in June. Things return to normal a little this week, as 'Lost In Japan', remixed by DJ and producer Zedd, enters at #9. It is his fifth top 10 hit in my personal chart history, resuming a run which started with 'Stitches', his only number one to date back in January 2016.

Robyn's 'Honey' vaults up nine places to give the Swedish superstar her first top 10 hit since 'Dancing On My Own' made the top 5 all the way back in June 2010. Also claiming their first hit on my personal top 20 after an extended period are Irish rockers Kodaline. 'Head Held High', the current single from their third album 'Politics Of Living', arrives at #13 to become their first top 20 hit since their debut 'High Hopes' made #15 in March 2013.

Exactly two years ago this week, Michael Bublé had just started a five week run at the top of my personal chart with 'Nobody But Me', the title track off his then new album. Just one more top 20 single off it, 'I Believe In You', followed, before he took a sudden but necessary career break following his three year old son Noah's cancer diagnosis.

With Noah now recovered and doing well, Canada and the world's favourite crooner is readying the release of his long awaited new album 'Love', a collection of well known standards and new recordings about that most universal of topics in songs. First out the traps is his take on Nat King Cole's classic 'When I Fall In Love', debuting at this week's #17.

Our final new entry of the week is the first ever appearance on my personal chart for Camden born rapper, DIY music producer and instrumentalist Timothy Gonzales aka Jimothy Lacoste. Despite its title, 'Fashion' is not a David Bowie cover, but is certainly one of the more unusual pop records of recent times. It enters at this week's #19.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2005: Rachel Stevens scores her fifth and final solo number one, plus new entries for Robbie Williams, Bloc Party and Ricky Martin

1. (HNE) RACHEL STEVENS - I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)

2. (1) SUGABABES - Push The Button
3. (NE) ROBBIE WILLIAMS - Tripping
4. (3) PUSSYCAT DOLLS FEAT. BUSTA RHYMES - Don't Cha
5. (2) KATIE MELUA - Nine Million Bicycles
6. (NE) BLOC PARTY - Two More Years
7. (4) LIBERTY X - Song 4 Lovers
8. (NE) RICKY MARTIN - I Don't Care
9. (5) JO O'MEARA - What Hurts The Most
10. (6) FRANZ FERDINAND - Do You Want To?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 12th October 2018, 11:06 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello ThePensmith!
"Moves" still being your #1 is great, as well as the debut for "Lost In Japan"!
Great chart!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 13th October 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey there Alex hi.gif

Of course Olly is at #1 here haha *.* but no complains as I'm enjoying 'Moves' too at the moment, it's so funky and the Snoop feature surprisingly works! It's a shame that it hasn't cracked the top 40 yet but I'm sure he'll smash it with the album as ever.

Elsewhere, my favourite new entry is 'Lost In Japan (Zedd Remix)', it works better than I was expecting! Hope it can do something here and get the era back on track.

Great stuff happy.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 14th October 2018, 08:13 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Heya! My faves this week cheer.gif

3. (3) LSD - Thunderclouds
4. (4) LAUV - I Like Me Better
5. (HNE) CLAIRE RICHARDS - End Before We Start
6. (5) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am
8. (8) CHRISTINE & THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
9. (NE) SHAWN MENDES - Lost In Japan (Zedd Remix)
10. (19) ROBYN - Honey
11. (9) RITA ORA - Let You Love Me
12. (10) SILK CITY & DUA LIPA - Electricity
14. (12) NINA NESBITT - Loyal To Me
16. (7) FOUR OF DIAMONDS FEAT. SAWEETIE - Stupid Things
17. (NE) MICHAEL BUBLÉ - When I Fall In Love
20. (13) ALL SAINTS - After All

Fantastic chart!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread