BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 19th October 2018
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Oct 19 2018, 07:29 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Evening everyone, time to give you this week's top 20 from myself. Little Mix and Take That both released new singles last week, but were either of them strong enough to knock Olly Murs off the number one spot on my chart? Here's your answer...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 19th October 2018
AM LIMITED 2018

1. (1) OLLY MURS FEAT. SNOOP DOGG - Moves
2. (HNE) TAKE THAT - Out Of Our Heads
3. (2) RAK-SU - I Want You To Freak
4. (NE) LITTLE MIX FEAT. NICKI MINAJ - Woman Like Me
5. (3) LSD - Thunderclouds
6. (4) LAUV - I Like Me Better
7. (5) CLAIRE RICHARDS - End Before We Start
8. (6) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am
9. (10) ROBYN - Honey
10. (7) NOW UNITED - Who Would Think That Love?

11. (8) CHRISTINE & THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
12. (NE) A1 - Armour
13. (9) SHAWN MENDES - Lost In Japan (Zedd Remix)
14. (11) RITA ORA - Let You Love Me
15. (12) SILK CITY & DUA LIPA - Electricity
16. (NE) BOYZONE - Because
17. (NE) JACK & JACK - No One Compares To You

18. (15) NILE RODGERS & CHIC FEAT. CRAIG DAVID AND STEFFLON DON - Sober
19. (13) KODALINE - Head Held High
20. (14) NINA NESBITT - Loyal To Me

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry

CHART COMMENTARY

Well, this is a turn up for the books. The onslaught of big new Q4 releases we've seen recently on my personal chart continued apace last week, as seven days ago, the stage was set for a fairly straightforward duel for number one on my personal chart between Little Mix, releasing the first single off their hotly anticipated fifth album, and manband legends Take That, releasing the first single off a new 'reinvented' hits collection.

And the victor of this almighty battle was...Olly Murs. Yes, despite an early challenge from the aforementioned two new releases (and partly thanks to the release of its hilarious video in the middle of the week), 'Moves' with Snoop Dogg now becomes the third number one in a row after All Saints and LSD in my personal chart this year to hold the top spot for as many as three weeks.

So instead the billed clash of the titans was reduced to a 'who gets the silver medal' contest. And it is Take That who are the surprise victors, going straight in at #2 with 'Out Of Our Heads'. One of two brand new songs on 'Odyssey', a collection of reworked versions of their biggest hits, it thus returns Gary, Mark and Howard to the top 3 for the first time since 'Giants' peaked at #3 in March last year. It's also now their biggest hit since their last chart topper, 'These Days' hit number one in December 2014.

So Little Mix's quest to open their forthcoming new album with another number one single is for now, temporarily stunted, as 'Woman Like Me' - a collaboration with Nicki Minaj - even misses out on claiming bronze, as it's only the week's second biggest new hit at #4. Opinion has been sharply divided over this brand new single from the world's biggest girl group of the moment, and I must confess it lacks the instant feel of say, 'Black Magic' or 'Shout Out To My Ex', and this is probably what has cost it debuting further than a number 4 entry point for now. The only lead single of theirs until now to miss my top spot was 'Move' off their second album 'Salute' five years ago, and even that still made #2.

It also means one of the song's co-writers, Ed Sheeran, fails to add a sixth number one to the list of five we mentioned last week that he has had as a performer and a writer. He does however, have a hand in both this single and 'Moves', meaning that for the first time since his 'Castle On The Hill' and 'Shape Of You' began a nine week duopoly at #1 and #2 respectively at the start of 2017, he can take credit for two of the week's top 5 singles on my personal chart. Jess Glynne (who falls two places to #8 with 'All I Am') is also a co-writer on 'Woman Like Me', meaning she can lay claim to having a hand in two of this week's top 10 singles (one as a writer, and one as a performer).

The manband theme continues with our next new hit at number 12. Next year, 2019, will be two decades since A1 had their first top 10 single with 'Be The First To Believe', starting a career on my personal chart that initially took in nine hits over four years, including three number ones with 'Take On Me', 'Same Old Brand New You' and 'Caught In The Middle'. Seven years after their split in 2002, Ben Adams, Christian Ingebrigtsen and Mark Read reunited for three more top 20 hits in 2009 and have continued touring since, including a slot on the second series of ITV2 smash 'The Big Reunion' in 2014.

Now with wayward fourth member Paul Marazzi back in the fold, the original lineup that started having hits in 1999 are complete again, and are marking the occasion and their 20th anniversary with a tour that will take in Asia (one of their core markets) first, and Europe and the UK later on. 'Armour' is now their thirteenth top 20 hit on my personal chart and sounds so well deserved to be so.

It is also manband o'clock - but possibly for the last time - as the departing Boyzone debut at #16 with 'Because', the first single from their joint farewell/25th anniversary album 'Thank You & Goodnight'. Their career started in 1993, six years before I began compiling my personal chart, with 'Love Me For A Reason'.

Just eight top 40 hits, including this new one co-written by - yes, him again - Ed Sheeran, have been registered to their name on my personal chart since 1999, including a chart topper for Comic Relief with 'When The Going Gets Tough' in March that year, as well as the band's own Ronan Keating scoring two further number ones on his own with 'When You Say Nothing At All' and 'Life Is A Rollercoaster'.

Jack & Jack spent six weeks inside my top 10 over the summer as guest vocalists on Jonas Blue's 'Rise', which peaked at #3. Their own single, 'No One Compares To You', has a bit of a tougher start by all accounts, entering at #17 this week.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2001: Britney Spears scores her fourth number one, plus new entries for Mis-Teeq and a UK garage classic from Wideboys

1. (HNE) BRITNEY SPEARS - I'm A Slave 4 U

2. (1) KYLIE MINOGUE - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
3. (NE) MIS-TEEQ - One Night Stand
4. (2) MICHAEL JACKSON - You Rock My World
5. (5) THE ONES - Flawless
6. (4) STEPS - Chain Reaction / One For Sorrow (Remix)
7. (6) MARY J BLIGE - Family Affair
8. (7) ALIEN ANT FARM - Smooth Criminal
9. (8) SUM 41 - Fat Lip
10. (NE) WIDEBOYS FEAT. DENNIS G - Sambuca

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Oct 26 2018, 11:49 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Oct 20 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Hello ThePenSmith!
Great #1 and I like the debut for "Woman Like Me"!
Great chart!

+Quote Post
JSG
post Oct 21 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #3
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

Heya! No time for comments this week but here are my faves!

1. (1) OLLY MURS FEAT. SNOOP DOGG - Moves
2. (HNE) TAKE THAT - Out Of Our Heads
4. (NE) LITTLE MIX FEAT. NICKI MINAJ - Woman Like Me
5. (3) LSD - Thunderclouds
6. (4) LAUV - I Like Me Better
7. (5) CLAIRE RICHARDS - End Before We Start
8. (6) JESS GLYNNE - All I Am
9. (10) ROBYN - Honey
11. (8) CHRISTINE & THE QUEENS - 5 Dollars
13. (9) SHAWN MENDES - Lost In Japan (Zedd Remix)
14. (11) RITA ORA - Let You Love Me
15. (12) SILK CITY & DUA LIPA - Electricity
16. (NE) BOYZONE - Because
17. (NE) JACK & JACK - No One Compares To You
20. (14) NINA NESBITT - Loyal To Me

Fantastic chart!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2020 - 08:03 PM