BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Your opinion about standard and deluxe edition albums
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
slowdown73
post Oct 20 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
In the last 4-5 years, many labels are releasing standard and deluxe editions of albums - deluxe editions often feature an extra 2-4 tracks compared to the standard edition. What is your view on standard edition albums? Do you think they are pointless? If you are going to buy an album, why wouldn’t you want the edition with the most tracks?

My view is record companies are trying to cash in on lower sales by releasing two different editions - they can charge a higher tariff for just a few extra tracks when most new albums used to cost around £10 for the same number of tracks which are on a deluxe edition now. Standard edition albums just seem pointless unless you don’t like any of the bonus tracks but often there is at least 1 or 2 tracks which are really good and make them an essential buy!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Oct 21 2018, 06:40 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
I'd say thats been around for longer than 4 years
it's normal label strategy to rip off fans bun fans that are collectors we like it
it becomes a bit too much with bands like Vamps when they release lots of different covers with a different band member on the cover and the poor girl fans have to buy them all :/

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Oct 21 2018, 07:55 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
I don't mind different editions of the same album as you get something different. I don't like so many formats released now, I mean releasing on cassette is just taking fans money, no one plays them. Also 1 vinyl is fine but when you have standard vinyl, clear vinyl, glitter vinyl etc for 1 release it screams of ripping fans off.

It also rigs the charts when you have a fan base buying 4 copies of an album each.

+Quote this post
777666jason
post Oct 21 2018, 08:08 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,687
I don't mind deluxe editions because they are usually released at same time its the rerelease that I don't like you have to re buy the album to get the " complete"package

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 21 2018, 08:25 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
It’s not as bad as the previous habit of releasing a deluxe version a couple months after the standard release. At least you get a proper choice when they are released simultaneously.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Oct 21 2018, 08:59 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
Sometimes I find deluxe albums are too long. I often just download the extra tracks at a later date. But I often find they don’t really fit in with the rest of the album because they’re little more than afterthoughts.

+Quote this post
Tangela
Post #7
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643
I tend not to bother with deluxe versions of albums as why would those tracks have been left off of the standard version in the first place? Likely not good enough. However if I really like the standard album, I’ll try out the deluxe tracks. This helped me find some more tracks I really enjoyed from 1989 by Taylor Swift - but I could completely understand why the tracks on the deluxe of Troye Sivan's Blue Neighbourhood were left off of the standard version. It stopped it being such a coherent, quality album for me.

+Quote this post
Tangela
Post #8
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643
QUOTE(T Boy @ Oct 21 2018, 09:59 AM) *
Sometimes I find deluxe albums are too long. I often just download the extra tracks at a later date. But I often find they don’t really fit in with the rest of the album because they’re little more than afterthoughts.

Exactly this as well.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Oct 21 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
If I'm buying a CD I always go for the standard edition. It, to me, feels like the way the artist intended you to hear the album and often has a natural album closer.

+Quote this post
Rush
post Oct 21 2018, 09:43 AM
Post #10
Group icon
wayback machine gif rescuer
User: 18,564
I've actually wondered before why standard editions still exist, because I feel like, without the barrier of higher prices, streaming has made deluxe editions the definitive versions. Many big albums have only the deluxe put on Spotify, and when they're both there it's more often the deluxe that's most prominent in search results, artist pages, etc - which makes the distinction of, say, the deluxe tracks on '÷' feel like a technicality. (2 of the '÷' deluxe tracks even have more Spotify plays than track 1, 'Eraser', though that's admittedly an anomaly with an opening track really incongruous to the rest of the album. Case in point: it's the only track I liked.) Fifth Harmony's '7/27' artwork also comes to mind, where the 'standard' cover was a faded, unattractive version of the deluxe. I suppose labels just find it worthwhile to keep providing a cheaper option for buyers, and maybe a more easily-digestible version for casual listens, but that didn't stop, say, Anne-Marie's album being released to Spotify in only its full 17-track (and later increased to 18-track) glory. Standard editions might also help with vinyl where the extra tracks could make the difference between requiring 1 and 2 LPs.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Oct 21 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I remember an interview with Tori Amos saying that in the past people saved some songs for b-sides, not CD singles don't exist anymore so
anything goes in so basically all the tracks in the deluxe are the B-sides/leftovers

what I don't really like is when artists release the deluxe 1 year later, to capitalise on a 2nd Xmas campaign (Paloma this year or Leona-Spirit, Little Mix last year, etc)

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Oct 21 2018, 10:41 AM
Post #12
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
QUOTE(lewistscream @ Oct 21 2018, 05:06 PM) *
It, to me, feels like the way the artist intended you to hear the album and often has a natural album closer.

I agree with this, sometimes deluxe/special/whatever edition albums do have some good songs added (eg. Last Dance being one of the best songs on Dua Lipa's debut and it's the last song on the deluxe tracklist) but most of the time they do just feel like afterthoughts. CD-wise I think it's good if the deluxe is on an extra disc, so then you know you are moving on to the extra songs, b-sides, acoustics, etc. and it's not the original tracklist. But on streaming platforms you do seamlessly transition to the extra songs which don't always fit.

Or other times the deluxe edition is just annoying. Blossoms' album this year had an entire deluxe edition which was purely just acoustic versions of the whole standard tracklist laugh.gif I understand why, but it's still annoying

+Quote this post
GTH
post Oct 21 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Gareth T H
User: 10,597
As has been mentioned, I don’t mind when they’re released at the same time. The tracks usually don’t blend so well with the rest of an album, or are features like with Jess Glynne’s latest.

It is the re-releases that I find annoying when they add 2-3 songs s year later to then keep the price high. No problem with this when you get practically a whole extra album like The Fame Monster or Born To Die Paradise Edition, but that is rarely the case.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Oct 21 2018, 11:58 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 21 2018, 09:25 AM) *
It’s not as bad as the previous habit of releasing a deluxe version a couple months after the standard release. At least you get a proper choice when they are released simultaneously.

Like Kim Wilde is doing this November after just releasing in March!

Personally I like albums with 10-12 songs as I can listen on the way home from work whereas longer albums I don't end up listening too. Also is annoying when on Apple Music ONLY offer the deluxe version!!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 21 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #15
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
QUOTE(Hans @ Oct 21 2018, 09:59 AM) *
I could completely understand why the tracks on the deluxe of Troye Sivan's Blue Neighbourhood were left off of the standard version. It stopped it being such a coherent, quality album for me.

I couldn't disagree more with this - the deluxe is essential!! Removing any song from that would be a huge loss for me.

Generally though it really depends on the album, as others have said. Some deluxe tracks are brilliant and just as well crafted as the main album (1989 is a perfect example), while others are obvious leftovers that don't really add a great deal to the album (most 1D deluxe tracks). However, I'll always opt for the deluxe album - not worth potentially missing out on some excellent songs!!

+Quote this post
Drpepper
post Oct 21 2018, 05:39 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 896
I only buy the Deluxe if I'm a particular fan of the artist, otherwise it's standard for me. Glory Days as an example was great as a standard album...no deluxe or re-issue required to appreciate it.

I am a fan of 9-11 track albums...from Make it Big to Blackstar...with well a well thought out quality track listing. All this padding to make something stick doesn't do it for me.

I like to enjoy an album in about 40 mins. It makes me want to listen to it multiple times and this can be done more easily when I don't need an hour or so to listen...so I can listen more often.

There are exceptions of course, like Rhythm Nation, but they are generally long for creative and not commercial reasons.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Oct 22 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #17
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
I tend to buy a deluxe edition only if it's an artist I am really invested in. I do agree though that growing up it was especially annoying when you'd bought an album and then six months later your loyalty was rewarded with a repack of that album being released that thus usurped your original copy.

I remember when Universal Music started doing their 'Special Edition' holographic stickers on albums in the early 00s. They did that with S Club 7's second album '7' (which I'd already had for my birthday that year) and then they reissued it with new artwork, the single mix of 'Natural', CD-Rom videos for that and 'Reach' and they'd also added 'Never Had A Dream Come True' (as that had just been released and hit number one) and a cover of Stevie Wonder's 'Lately' to the tracklist. It was like torture for 11 year old me - and my parents wouldn't let me have it. I had to wait until about a year or so later to get it on sale in HMV.

But coming from a generation that was granted B-sides on singles, I appreciate bonus tracks or songs that only hardcore fans know. Especially if you see them performed live, it's a huge feeling of satisfaction crossing eyes with someone who knows it too biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Oct 22 2018, 08:23 AM

+Quote this post
Rob
post Oct 22 2018, 10:12 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122
They're a 'nice to have' for the fans but in the streaming era they make little difference. If labels really want them to be of better value they should start making the deluxe edition tracks exclusive to the physical/download release.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Oct 22 2018, 02:11 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
little difference? tell it to the Vamps who can easily sell 20-30K of a new Deluxe edition
that said the little girl fans are pretty hardcore

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 22 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #20
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
QUOTE(Bjork @ Oct 22 2018, 03:11 PM) *
little difference? tell it to the Vamps who can easily sell 20-30K of a new Deluxe edition
that said the little girl fans are pretty hardcore

Theirs wasn't really a deluxe edition, it was an entirely new album repackaged with the previous one (Night Edition + Day Edition).

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:09 AM