BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor Who ē The Tsuranga Conundrum, S11E05
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Nov 4 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #1
MP for Flydale North
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

WRITER: Chris Chibnall
DIRECTOR: Jennifer Perrott
GUEST STARS: Brett Goldstein, Lois Chimimba, Suzanne Packer, Ben Bailey-Smith
WHEN: Sunday 4th November at 7:00pm
SYNOPSIS
Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, the Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe's most deadly - and unusual - creatures.

TRAILER
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 4 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #2
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

No idea what to expect considering we literally have ZERO information about the episode other than it being set in a hospital in space/the future(?). Just hoping we get a proper monster but would also welcome something like Midnight - a more psychological tale.

Love a base under seige tale anyway which is what this seems to be!

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Nov 4 2018, 12:20 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 19,585
   No Gallery Pics

Just here for Suzanne Packer to slay. I kind of like the limited info weíre getting for the episodes, makes them more interesting to watch when we can expect the unexpected.

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Nov 4 2018, 12:55 PM
Post #4
Took a DNA test, turns out I'm a 100% that bitch!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

All I hope is that there is a shop in this hospital x

+Quote Post
Holiflop
post Nov 4 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #5
Buffy/Charmed
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

WAAAY too many companions sad.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Nov 4 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #6
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I actually like having more companions, reminds me of a lot of Classic Who. You also get different reactions to things. Where companions like Clara fell down was that she was way too confident and nothing ever phased her.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Nov 4 2018, 07:53 PM
Post #7
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 2

I found this very poor, the little monster of the week wasn't really a threat, probably the weakest episode so far.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 4 2018, 07:58 PM
Post #8
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

i want a pting

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Nov 4 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #9
Took a DNA test, turns out I'm a 100% that bitch!
Member No.: 20,835

The Ptings are cute but I didn't find them scary...

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 4 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #10
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

I liked the episode, although I have a feeling I may downgrade my love once time has passed but I hope not!

As I said above, I love a base under seige story and I loved the pting. Although I do think it was underused, Iíd have loved to have seen more of it/had it as more of a threat. The guest stars were all good and largely fleshed out for a 50 minute show. Liked the initial sequence with who Iím calling Asos, and that, again, it led to a real consequence of a death! The other doctor was good as well,.

I wasnít as keen on the pregnancy side story, it was nice as a little glimpse into the 67th century at the start but it was a bit too prominent for what I would have liked considering it had very little bearing on the plot. Itís purpose was clearly just to give Ryan some development (and also give something for him and Graham to do!). If theyíd have removed that, it would have allowed for more attention on the threat of the pting.

I was really enjoying the episode all the way though but itís only on reflection where Iím feeling Iíve not got much to say! Focusing on the main cast, I do think Jodie is settling into the role more and more with every week (or the audience is just getting more used to it!) I do think this was her best week yet amd if it carries on, Iím going to LOVE her Doctor. The focus is still very much on her I feel which is different to the companion focus that weíre used to. I do like Ryan, Yaz and Graham but I definitely wouldnít be putting them near my favourite companions ever for now.

+Quote Post
Holiflop
post Nov 4 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #11
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

Quite crap

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 4 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #12
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

THAT was the 'universe's most deadly creature'?! It looked like one of those aliens from Toy Story drama.gif The search for a decent monster this series goes on.

First episode that I really didn't enjoy at all, and the first one where being so many companions was actually a detriment to the show as the new ones didn't feel that developed at all, I couldn't even tell you their names (as nice as it was giving Ryan some development, there was no need for the pregnant man storyline and I DON'T like the images that conjures up of how they get it out of there). Far too much going on as well that was really difficult to follow even by Doctor Who quick fire exposition standards. Such a shame as from the first ten minutes I thought we were in for in for something a lot more psychological and intense instead like Midnight. It seems like genuine dread and memorable villains is Chibnall's real Achilles heel and I'm a little concerned how this is developing.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 4 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #13
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

omg i feel like it’s getting slaughtered from what I’m reading elsewhere! I didn’t think it was that bad!! By no means excellent but still very enjoyable!

I do agree that we need a proper threat and it’s disappointing we’re halfway through and we’ve bot had this yet (not even woth massive spiders!!). Anyway, this was Chibnall’s last episode until the finale so let’s hope the second half is going to be different~

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 4 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Wasnít fussed on that. Didnít see the point in the pregnancy story, aside from another play on something being an unexpected gender. There was literally no threat at all, I actually laughed when the pting was first shown, more like a furby or something.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Nov 4 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #15
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(dandy* @ Nov 4 2018, 08:36 PM) *
Wasnít fussed on that. Didnít see the point in the pregnancy story, aside from another play on something being an unexpected gender. There was literally no threat at all, I actually laughed when the pting was first shown, more like a furby or something.

It was like a creature from Gremlins biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 4 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #16
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Ptizmo!

+Quote Post
Calum
post Nov 4 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #17
nabad
Member No.: 18,316

I wanted to enjoy that a lot more than I did. sad.gif I found myself bored quite a lot. It seemed to be a lot of different conversations all just happening at the same time as opposed to anything interesting, action, adventure, etc. I liked the guest cast, but on reflection there's not much I could really say about them.

The scenes between Yaz and Ryan were a nice touch to continue the character development, and I liked that Yaz was actually instrumental this week, doing something to help and not just following the action. The story of the pregnant man had far too much focus on it, I thought - time wasted that could have better explored the Pting or the other crew.

Overall, not really a memorable episode and it felt like longer than just 50 minutes (every other episode so far has had the pacing on point or thereabouts). Quite disappointing, but I'll look forward to rewatching in the future and seeing if my opinion changes. Also very much looking forward to next week's (and the three after) since we'll hopefully have exciting and fresh takes on the show from the new writers.

Ranking so far:

1. Rosa
2. The Woman Who Fell to Earth
3. Arachnids in the UK
4. The Ghost Monument
5. The Tsuranga Conundrum

+Quote Post
gavindeejay
post Nov 4 2018, 09:05 PM
Post #18
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

Boring episode. Hope the next one will be better!

+Quote Post
Holiflop
post Nov 4 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #19
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

More awful acting, this time from the head doctor man sad.gif

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Nov 5 2018, 03:47 AM
Post #20
rip in peace Dickston
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

"Take a com dom"

excuse me

I'm halfway through and I'm bored.

~

That alien is not scary looking at all - I don't think it's supposed to either seeing as it was revealed about 15 minutes in but still what were they thinking? Literally looks like a live action Ben 10 alien. Again I like the concept of this episode (travelling rescue hospital ship, invaded by a dangerous creature) which isn't too unlike a lot of previous episodes but it's just poor sad.gif I don't get why so much focus was on the childbirth, or the fact he changed his mind about giving up the baby. If he was planning on putting the baby up for adoption would he not already have a parent lined up? I've never personally given birth on a spaceship with the intention of giving it up but generally don't they arrange that beforehand? Again I'm left with too many questions

Ryan has easily become my least favourite companion which is a real shame because his backstory is so far the most interesting and tragic. Tragic to the point I think it could be a bit of foreshadowing leading to him dying/leaving at the end of this series though. I can see Graham leaving too maybe unable to travel without Ryan?

Also re: Chibnall - I'm really annoyed at the lack of threats much like many others here so far. Thinking about it this episode reminded me a lot of '42', also by Chibnall, except less intense and just generally less good laugh.gif I think he is the primary reason that DW has become a more mature show after the past few eras. His writing work on Torchwood led to some of the best Torchwood episodes (Countrycide, Exit Wounds, etc.) which were all dark and full of death - so perhaps the fact that this show is trying to cater more to younger audiences whilst still allowing for easy watching for older audiences is affecting the end result in a negative way. He's trying to mature the show to be more like Torchwood, but still keeping it nice and PG which isn't reeeallyyy working out too great

I think this is my least favourite so far, although still not far behind Arachnids or Ghost Monument :/ Hopefully the second half will see some improvements as Chibnall will be gone for a little while until the finale

This post has been edited by DexTheHalls: Nov 5 2018, 04:33 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2020 - 08:50 AM