BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Surprise Successes
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
dandy*
post Nov 17 2018, 10:43 PM
Post #1
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

So in a typically wild Saturday night style, I'm finding myself listening to Carry On Up The Charts... by the Beautiful South and it made me recall just how unexpected the success of this album was at the time.

Up until that point they'd had a couple of successful singles in the shape of A Little Time and Song For Whoever but none of their albums had gone on to do particularly well, indeed by this point they were already seemingly following the laws of diminishing returns as 0898 and Miaow hadn't sold that well at all. Now I'd always been a fan, no matter how uncool they were, and was okay with the #3 debut at the time for their best of... but I remember being so shocked when they climbed the following week and then again the week after to #1 before staying there pretty much all the way through christmas and new year (if I remember correctly only The Beatles got in their way and even then they were quickly overhauled the following week) as they went on to sell 2 million plus copies.

And now it has got me thinking, who and what else do you remember being a completely unexpected success in either the singles or albums market?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 17 2018, 10:47 PM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

With Every Heartbeat by Robyn getting the #1 slot, never saw that coming, even with the love it was getting at the time.

Also, Scooter getting a #1 album in 2008. It's probably due to them being one of the first acts to make use of the practice of appending a Greatest Hits album to a studio album, but I wouldn't have thought that many people would be interested in a Scooter Greatest Hits album in the first place.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 17 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #3
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Oh gosh, as I've probably mentioned many times before I actually shed real tears when Robyn made #1 back in 2007

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 17 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dandy* @ Nov 17 2018, 10:48 PM) *
Oh gosh, as I've probably mentioned many times before I actually shed real tears when Robyn made #1 back in 2007

I remember it well laugh.gif

One of the biggest surprises for me has to be the success of a song as weird as O Superman (Laurie Anderson).

More recently, I've been very pleasantly surprised by the growing success of Public Service Broadcasting. I really never dreamt that I'd see them at the Albert Hall.

+Quote Post
Esmerelda
post Nov 18 2018, 01:34 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 294
   No Gallery Pics

Tony Christie's success in 2005. A 34 year old song that peaked at number 18 goes to number 1 for 7 weeks and sells over a million copies- also a highly successful Greatest Hits album that went to number 1 despite having very few hits.

The late success of Journey's Don't Stop Believin'. Peaked at number 62 originally. Finally enters the top 10 28 years later despite no re-release and goes on to sell over a million copies.

This post has been edited by Esmerelda: Nov 18 2018, 01:43 AM

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Nov 18 2018, 08:59 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

Texas’ Greatest Hits in 2000 springs to mind in a similar vein. Yes they were popular and had a few quite big singles spanning a long period but at the time I thought it would be a quick success, maybe half a million sales at most, yet it hung around forever and has sold about 2 million copies!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 18 2018, 02:29 PM
Post #7
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Yes I was surprised by the Texas one too!

Next one for me... Even with the Calvin Harris element that obviously was the significant reason for success, I never even vaguely saw Spectrum from Florence and the Machine as being a chart topper.

+Quote Post
Crypt of the Wom...
post Nov 18 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 17 2018, 11:15 PM) *
One of the biggest surprises for me has to be the success of a song as weird as O Superman (Laurie Anderson).

I heard this for the first time very recently as part of a 'songs to hear before you die' book I'm working my way through and I was stunned to hear this was a number 2! Sounds really unique even today so lord knows how ahead of it's time it must've sounded when it was released, a wonderful song though.

The biggest surprise success for me at least since I started paying attention to popular music was always Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance, I would've never expected a song like that to reach number 1, it wasn't even particularly radio friendly!

+Quote Post
Pting Rollo
post Nov 18 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

All Over The World : The Very Best Of Electric Light Orchestra getting to number 1 in 2016,eleven years after it was released,was a pleasant surprise for me.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 18 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Nov 18 2018, 02:49 PM) *
I heard this for the first time very recently as part of a 'songs to hear before you die' book I'm working my way through and I was stunned to hear this was a number 2! Sounds really unique even today so lord knows how ahead of it's time it must've sounded when it was released, a wonderful song though.

The biggest surprise success for me at least since I started paying attention to popular music was always Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance, I would've never expected a song like that to reach number 1, it wasn't even particularly radio friendly!

I first heard O Superman on John Peel's show, so I was quite used to hearing some weird stuff! Of course, I never expected it to be a hit of any kind, so seeing it climb all the way to number two was pretty extraordinary. Listeners to the chart show in its first week must have got quite a shock laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hellraisinturret
post Nov 18 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #11
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Kylie Minogue's Spinning Around in 2000.
The 1975's Medicine making it to Number One on the Vinyl Singles Chart in 2017 (three years after its release).

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 18 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #12
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Spinning Around is a good shout actually, I wasn't expecting her to return to #1 either after the way the second half of the 90s went for her.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2020 - 02:52 AM