BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor Who • Kerblam!, S11E07 | take that amazon!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Count Olaf
post Nov 18 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #1
MP for Flydale North
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

KERBLAM!

WRITER: Pete McTighe
DIRECTOR: Jennifer Perrott
GUEST STARS: Julie Hesmondhalgh, Lee Mack and Callum Dixon
WHEN: Sunday 18th November at 6:30pm
SYNOPSIS:
A mysterious message arrives in a package addressed to the Doctor, leading her, Graham, Yaz and Ryan to investigate the warehouse moon orbiting Kandoka, and the home of the galaxy's largest retailer, Kerblam.

TRAILER:

CLIP:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Count Olaf
post Nov 18 2018, 02:43 PM
Post #2
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

praying that the robots seen in the trailer are a major part of the episode because (a) they look creepy and (b) WE NEED MONSTERS!!!1. I know the writer is a massive fan of the show (and I recently discovered he wrote some of the inserts for the classic DVD range after stumbling across his name!) so hopefully he brings us a classic episode. The clear target on Amazon is a bit worrying though as it may mean that takes centre stage like in the other episodes this series. The political messages really do not bother me at all when done right (Rosa/Demons) but I don't need it when it is in the way of a good story (all I can now think of Tsuranga is the random pregnant man which I still am not sure what it was trying to achieve)

Fingers crossed!

+Quote Post
Calum
post Nov 18 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #3
nabad
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,316

I'm really looking forward to this episode! wub.gif The reviews I've read seem to be hailing Pete McTighe / the episode the best thing to happen to the series so far and the closest we've come to 'traditional Doctor Who'.

+Quote Post
On My Broomstick
post Nov 18 2018, 03:29 PM
Post #4
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 2

Looking forward to this episode, and note the start its 6:30 from this week onwards, instead of the usual 7:00 start

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 18 2018, 03:34 PM
Post #5
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

The robots look really freaky, I'm feeling that this one could be a good one!

Plus Julie Hesmondhalgh wub.gif

+Quote Post
lewiscapaldi
post Nov 18 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 19,585
   No Gallery Pics

Now that was more like it! Hands down my favourite episode this series. Loved the story, supporting characters and the suspense! Beware that bubble wrap eh laugh.gif Nice little nod to Series 4 with Agatha Christie and the wasp too.

+Quote Post
On My Broomstick
post Nov 18 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #7
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 2

OMG... that was brilliant, killer bubble wrap rotf.gif I will never touch bubble wrap again. laugh.gif

Brilliant episode though, it was fun and very fast pace, loved it when they went down the chute. laugh.gif that was bloody brilliant, has to be one of the best episodes with clever production.

+Quote Post
GhoulOdyssey
post Nov 18 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #8
If you're too shy let me knooooooow
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771
   No Gallery Pics

Favourite episode so far! Loved the references. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Botchia
post Nov 18 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #9
Lusts for Life
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

A fab episode - loved all the references and felt like a very real threat! Felt much more like a Doctor Who episode than some of those this series.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 18 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Really good episode, probably my highlight of the series. A really good threat, a fear of something that we are all familiar with (bubble wrap), and there was a great satirical element running through it - Kerblam was obviously a send-up of Amazon's "Fulfilment Centres", and some of the seemingly far fetched elements of the factory are things that Amazon actually does ie tags its employees so they know where they are at all times.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 18 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I enjoyed that one. The idea of a real threat but no certainty about where it was coming from worked well.

Oh, and fezzes are cool.

+Quote Post
Hellraisinturret
post Nov 18 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #12
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Kerblam!, in 10 Words Or Less

"Bubblewrap. Guess I won't be popping that sh*t again!", 9/10

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Nov 18 2018, 07:21 PM) *
Nice little nod to Series 4 with Agatha Christie and the wasp too.

I too was amused by the callback to The Unicorn And The Wasp. Not the only time a different Doctor era made a callback to the Tennant era. In 'The Time Of The Doctor', there's a good use of applying continuity from The Stolen Earth/Journey's End where an old 11th Doctor tells Clara about his false alarm regeneration at the end of the first part of that two-parter, when the episode was referring to his limited number of regenerations.

+Quote Post
Count Olaf
post Nov 18 2018, 07:58 PM
Post #13
MP for Flydale North
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely the episodd that feels more Doctor Who so far which makes it all the more enjoyable. I think I therefore haveto compare itto other series rather than this one. I feel it was strong but not, say, amazing. Just a good solid episode which is what we want.

- Glad we got to see lots of the robots as they definitely look creepy although they still weren’t used too effectively I feel. Those neon eyes were fantastic though
- Nice that all main characters had something to do and tasks to achieve and they used their own violation! Feel like this has only been properly achieved in Rosa so far
- liked the mix of the comedy and dark themes. Although maybe gets a bit too dark when the Doctor plays a part in killing a person!
- liked the reveal of the real enemy - both of the bubble wrap (a child’s favourite toy!) and the cleaner
- Twisty <3 move over pting, i got a new fave toy
- Some of the effects were great, particularly as they went into the dispatch area
- Loved the music as the army were discovered, really helped to increase the threat level
- the references to Eleven and Unicorn and the Wasp <3 perfectly done so that it doesn’t affect you if you’re new to this series

So yeh, very solid episode, really utlising the setting amd the charactes!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 18 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Just finished and I enjoyed it... although I don't think it reached the heights that it could have as the premise was really strong.

The robots were great and I enjoyed all the characters too, the twist was good also and yet I still feel like it could have been something more if it had more time to develop as a two parter.

I didn't really understand why the people were disappearing in the first place if I'm honest, if nobody was allowed down in the bottom levels then nobody was ever going to spot the army building and why sacrifice people if the end aim was to save people in the future - it just felt like a plot diversion to throw the viewers of the scent.

But anyway, minor grumbles aside it was a strong enough episode.

+Quote Post
Crypt of the Wom...
post Nov 18 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #15
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Agreed with everyone, was so good to finally get an at least relatively strong threat and the social commentary not being overbearing, I mean yes it was the human and not the robots in the end, not the system the one who abuses it etc. but the robots were still pretty intimidating and I didn't see that twist coming, I thought the employees were being turning into robots, it was a bit convoluted an idea and I'm still trying to get my ahead around Charlie's plan, but it's not like Who's not given us this kinda thing before.

I think the best thing was the DOCTOR ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING, that's the most resourceful I've seen her this series, and the companions didn't feel as sidelined and they weren't afraid to be quite dark this time - actually having the balls to kill the villain off and also the innocent semi-hero as well was a dark turn but felt refreshing. I wouldn't rank it amongst my favourite ever Whos, in any other incarnation it'd be quite filler, but coming in a season that's severely lacked thrills and fun, it feels a lot better than it was!

+Quote Post
Slick
post Nov 19 2018, 10:58 PM
Post #16
serve it ancient city style
Member No.: 70
   No Gallery Pics

I'm in the minority but I didn't think much of that episode. I think there's only one episode I've enjoyed less and that's the one on the ship with the pregnant man (which was dire.) It's been a strong series so far but I really just want a fast-paced, sci-fi adventure like the GOOD OLD DAYS. The pacing is really grating.

+Quote Post
HeadlessJockey
post Nov 19 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #17
It's the return of the Mack.
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Quite an enjoyable and different episode that was.

+Quote Post
Severin
post Nov 20 2018, 12:13 AM
Post #18
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

I'm finding a lot of episodes this season a real struggle. The first was interesting because it was new and Rosa was flat out great but aside from Demons I've found the rest quite dull and almost quit this last episode midway,

I feel like a good Doctor is being wasted on poor stories.

Am I alone on this?

+Quote Post
Dexter
post Nov 20 2018, 01:13 AM
Post #19
rip in peace Dickston
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Severin @ Nov 20 2018, 08:13 AM) *
I'm finding a lot of episodes this season a real struggle. The first was interesting because it was new and Rosa was flat out great but aside from Demons I've found the rest quite dull and almost quit this last episode midway,

I feel like a good Doctor is being wasted on poor stories.

Am I alone on this?

I feel the exact same, this episode wasn’t terrible but no way will it be memorable in the long run - much like any other episode this year. Jodie is really carrying the show right now so I can see her having a lengthy stint as the Doctor but the entire show can’t just rely on her

+Quote Post
Severin
post Nov 20 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #20
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DexTheHalls @ Nov 20 2018, 01:13 AM) *
I feel the exact same, this episode wasn’t terrible but no way will it be memorable in the long run - much like any other episode this year. Jodie is really carrying the show right now so I can see her having a lengthy stint as the Doctor but the entire show can’t just rely on her

It's a bit worrying really, I consider myself a fan of the show and having been watching since quite early in Tom Baker's run but the only period in its history that I have actively stopped watching was during McCoy's tenure where the show had similar issues. Admittedly I was about 16 at the time and more interested in going down the pub but I made almost no effort to watch it back then because it was painful to endure. Boring is just as bad really

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2020 - 04:19 AM