BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buzzjack's Top Animated Films Of All Time 2018: The Results, 76-100 Posted. | Come Comment for more results!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Fallin' Folklore
post Nov 26 2018, 10:59 PM
Post #1
I had a marvellous time ruining everything.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Hey guys and welcome to the results of the 2018 edition of Buzzjack's Top Animated Films of All Time <3

Everything is counted up and this'll be starting tomorrow! What do you think will win? Who will drastically? Who'll flop? Who'll enter the top 100 this year?

I'm obvs doing shorter commentaries to last time after how long it took like crazy last time so we can get through this quicker!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Nov 26 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #2
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,661

Toy Stories and Monsters to win. Or anything else by Pixar

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 28 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Here's hoping that Your Name is the highest new entry, and that there's a smidgen more anime films this time around. Also hope that South Park: BL&U is a bit higher, it was surprisingly low in the last countdown.

+Quote Post
Dexter
post Nov 29 2018, 02:04 AM
Post #4
rip in peace Dickston
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Hype to The Lion King, Lilo And Stitch, and Chicken Run wub.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 4 2018, 04:42 PM
Post #5

Let's go *.*

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 4 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #6

100. (75) Shaun The Sheep: The Movie

Chart-Run: 75-100

169pts | 2015 | UK
Top 20's: MACK (#8)

Kicking off this year's top 100 is the film that kicked off the top 75 last year, the adorable Shaun The Sheep movie! I'm gutted this has fallen so much as this is an Aardman fave of mine and one of the best animations of the decade! Anyway this just makes the top 100 by only 2 points (soz Brett/Iz but I believe 3 animes were in the next 6 films that just missed here!) but this starts of this year's countdown with 17 more points than 100th in the 2016 countdown!

Last year's commentary:
Shaun The Sheep Movie is a stop-motion animated film and follows Shaun and his flock going into the big city to rescue their farmer! The film was received fantastically critically and scored nominations for 'Best Animated Feature' at the Oscars, Golden Globes and BAFTA's! The film premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival and has a fabulous 99% score on Rotten Tomatoes! The US film posters spoofed some of the higher-budgeted films of that year, including Ant-Man, Minions, Spectre, Fantastic Four, Mission Impossible 4 and Mockingjay! Aardman announced they are working on a sequel and pre-production is starting next month! cheer.gif Really hyped for this! (2018 edit: we've got no news about a sequel yet right ugh??)

I really loved this and this was definitely a surprise highlight of last year! I was expecting to enjoy it but I thought it'd be a bit throwaway, however this turned into an unexpected delight with a fabulous story and a really fun movie! Highly recommend it if you haven't watched it!

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 4 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #7

99. (92) Hoodwinked

Chart-Run: 92-99

174pts | 2006 | The Weinstein Company
Top 20's: Froot (#19)

Despite a two point improvement from 2016, Hoodwinked places 7 spots lower than it did in that countdown! However this is another fave childhood animation of mine and got one top twenty from Froot!

Last year's commentary:
Hoodwinked retails Little Red Riding Hood as a police investigation and featured the voices of Anne Hathaway, Glenn Close and more! Hoodwinked was one of the first computer-animated films to be completely independently funded which allowed the filmmakers greater creative control but restrained them economically! The film was inspired by non-linear crime drama's such as Pulp Fiction, Memento and Run Lola Run and it received positive reviews for its script and cast but negative reviews for the animation quality! The film was a commercial success, earning 110M on just an 8M budget (incredibly low for an animation!) and I remember it was released something like 8 and a 1/2 months later in the UK than America!! A sequel was released 5 years later but was a critical and commercial failure! The film was heavily re-cast when the Weinstein Company picked it up and the directors tried to make the film dissimilar to the Shrek franchise!

I absolutely love this film and it placed on my list! I wasn't expecting at all to place this high so this was a really pleasing result as it is just a charming and fun animation, definitely recommend this!

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 4 2018, 05:00 PM
Post #8

98. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Chart-Run: 72-98

175pts (Less Top 10's) | 2008 | America
Top 20's: None

And completing the batch for now is Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, aka the weakest of the franchise, so idm this falling so much this year as its probs kinda deserved haha. Anyway this did a lot weaker than last year but how did the other Madagascar's do in comparison to 2 years ago? Anyway this just misses out on amount of top 10's to a film that scraped the top 200 last time, which means we have our first new entry coming up later!

Madagascar 2 is a sequel to 'Madagascar' and continues the adventures of the four main animals, with most of the voice cast returning! The film starts as a prequel but soon moves shortly to where the original left off and the film grossed a gigantic +$600 million worldwide on a $150m budget, making it the sixth highest-grossing film of 2008! The film was dedicated to Bernie Mac who died before the film's release. A sequel titled Europe's Most Wanted was released 3 and a 1/2 years later! The film was originally subtitled 'The Crate Escape' (I love that title actually!) and has a quite good 64% approval rate from critics! The film's DVD release included two episodes from 'The Penguins of Madagascar' series and a video game (that I owned and was one of my fave video games when I was younger!) was released alongside the films release!

This is enjoyable, and I think it made my top 100 list, but the other two are way stronger whereas this is just enjoyable! Still a great entry in a great franchise though!

+Quote Post
Hellraisinturret
post Dec 10 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #9
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

I have some fond memories of watching Hoodwinked from late 2006.
And as for Madagascar, I remember seeing all three movies in the cinema around the time they came out (although I only managed to see the second half of Escape 2 Africa since we were late at the time and saw the whole of the film three years after seeing it)

+Quote Post
devil tin coffin
post Dec 11 2018, 12:14 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

I loved Hoodwinked at the time but the animation has really not held up that well laugh.gif it's still very fun story-wise
The only Madagascar movie that I've liked was the first one. The next two (especially the third one) felt kind of forced and too focused on one-dimensional side characters (The Penguins, The Lemurs, etc) that were never really that funny to begin with (similar to how Despicable Me suddenly turned into The Minions Show)

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 22 2018, 11:45 PM
Post #11

97. Chicken Little

Chart-Run: 186-97

175pts (More Top 10's) | 2006 | America
Top 20's: Dexton (#6)

Into 97th we have our first new entry from Disney's Chicken Little! The film was a moderate box office success but received mixed reviews and came at the point where it really seemed Disney were losing their spark! This has managed a massive nearly 100 place climb from last year tho so let's see how it does in the future!

Ofc as this is a new entry, I have no commentary to copy & paste from last year so y'all have to make do with a shorter commentary x

This is another enjoyable animation film, even if not a fave of mine, and I really enjoyed this when I was younger! <3 I'm pretty sure I had a Chicken Little pencil case at one point laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 22 2018, 11:49 PM
Post #12

96. Arthur Christmas

Chart-Run: 104-96

182pts | 2011 | Aardman
Top 20's: none

Perfect timing to post this one! Into 96th we have a new kinda Christmas classic with Aardman's very cute Arthur Christmas! After just missing the top 100 by 4 places last time, this time it sneaks in with 42 more points and 4 places the other way!

Ofc as this is a new entry, I have no commentary to copy & paste from last year so y'all have to make do with a shorter commentary x

Again I really enjoy this and it made my top 100 <3 It's so cute and I'm a sucker for Christmas movies <3

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 22 2018, 11:52 PM
Post #13

95. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatbalsl

Chart-Run: 51-95

186pts | 2009 | Sony

This fall cry.gif cry.gif The first really big faller this year come from CWACOM and I'm honestly quite surprised, I thought this was maybe fall but no more than out of the top 75. An animated classic for me turning 10 next year <3

A movie about foooood. Yay. Based on a book too, who knew? Hardship falls upon a small town and they are forced to eat sardines. An inventor finds a way to make a machine that turns water into food. End of movie, right? Wrong. Something goes wrong, obviously, and he has to find a way to stop the machine from making food fall from the sky and bury the place thus making a lot of mess and death etc. Stars like Anna Faris, Bill Hader and Andy Samberg lead the cast of this oddly amusing movie. This movie has spawned a sequel and a TV series. (Commentary by Grant)

I love this film so much & it's probs my favourite to appear so far, I watched this so much when I was younger and I adored the concept + the characters + the animation <3

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 22 2018, 11:56 PM
Post #14

94. Cars

Chart-Run: 62-94

188pts | 2009 | Pixar
Top 20's: Mack (#7)

Now this fall is well deserved. Into 94th we have Cars, the start of everyone's least favourite Pixar franchise. I believe this is the 3rd lowest Pixar film in the countdown with the two sequels missing the top 100 again. I can't think of any Pixar films that could possibly be behind them haha? This did receive a top 10 placing from Mack tho!

One of the lower Pixar movies and this is to be expected as Cars has never been one of the most beloved from them. I think it's a bit unfairly disliked and has been tarnished by the sequel (even though I liked that a lot too laugh.gif) which means people have turned on this too. It's actually a really heart-warming story about Lightning McQueen finding the true meaning of friendship and family despite being a hot-shot in the beginning. I think all the characters are great fun and all very likable and Radiator Springs itself just feels so cosy. It was nominated for two Oscars, Best Original Song and Best Animated Film so it clearly was fairly popular at the time and it also made over $450 million worldwide, more than enough to warrant a sequel. Apparently, it is one of the biggest merchandise sellers for Disney and a Cars 3 is on the way this Summer so the money will keep rolling in! With a much darker tone in the trailers so far, we'll have to see how it fares with critics (hopefully better than Cars 2). (Commentary by Josh)

Yeah I quite liked this when I was younger but it got worse and worse on many repeat viewings. Definitely not a Pixar classic and hopefully it falls further and out of the top 100 next year x

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 23 2018, 12:00 AM
Post #15

93. The Secret Life Of Pets

Chart-Run: 86-93

190pts | 2016 | Illumination

Another fall now and this time it's for the first Illumination produced film to drop out! I'm gutted The Secret Life Of Pets fell this year, hopefully it can recover next time we do this as it's an adorable animation which I stan <3

The Secret Life Of Pets has a starry voice cast from Louis C.K., Kevin Hart, Steve Coogan, Jenny Slate, Ellie Kemper and more and was premiered at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival in June 2016 and received positive critical reviews and grossed a gigantic $870 million worldwide, an amount that makes it the highest grossing original animated film not produced by either Disney or Pixar!! The film was originally going to be released in February 2016 and was accompanied by a Despicable Me short film titled 'Mower Minions' (which was incredible!). The DVD release will also include two new shorts and the film earned $366M in America and just over $500M internationally! Its run internationally pushed Universal Pictures past the $1 billion mark for the 10th consecutive year and is currently the fifth highest-grossing original film of all time behind Finding Nemo, The Lion King, Zootopia and Avatar- the former 3 of those all still to come! The film had a massive 9.58m opening (boosted by previews) in the UK and opened to $104 million in America which is the sixth-biggest debut for an animation film, the sixth highest debut in July, 4th biggest OW for Universal and the largest opening for an original film! The film has a 75% rating score on Rotten Tomatoes and a sequel is scheduled to be released in July 2018! (Now summer 2019, so ready tho!!!!!)

I was expecting this to do a little better but it's a nice start at least, hopefully it can improve on this in future years! (oops sad.gif ) I absolutely adore The Secret Life Of Pets.. It is just so adorable, all the pets were incredible and it was fun with a really strong story. Another win for Illumination and an immediate animation classic for myself. (Even tho I still adore this it did drop like 30 places on my list this year oops)

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 23 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #16

92. The LEGO Batman Movie

Chart-Run: 92

191pts | 2017 | Warner Bros

I'm honestly shocked this isn't higher. What a shame xxx Into 92nd is the 2nd film in the LEGO movie animated franchise with it's take on Batman! This is our first film to enter so far which wasn't eligible for the last countdown!

I thought this was ok but as with its predecessor, it's beyond overrated to the high heavens and was nothing fab. I'm lowkey glad it did pretty bad here (I was expecting top 50 honestly).

+Quote Post
Fallin' Folklore
post Dec 23 2018, 12:06 AM
Post #17

91. The Incredibles 2

Chart-Run: 91

196pts | 2018 | Pixar

Tho if Lego Batman Movie was a shocker, it's nothing in comparison to this!! The excuse that it came out too soon & not enough people had a chance to see it yet isn't even valid cos this countdown opened in like October. I'm absolutely shocked The Incredibles 2 is the 4th lowest Pixar film and isn't anywhere near the top 50, I thought this had a very good reaction??

I loved this and it deserved way better here! I'm honestly shocked how bad it did. One of my faves of 2018 & Elastagirl SLAYED <3 oh and Queen Edna *.*

+Quote Post
HeadlessJockey
post Dec 23 2018, 12:25 AM
Post #18
It's the return of the Mack.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Well I guess I just find the first Cars is enjoyable blush.gif

+Quote Post
Hellraisinturret
post Dec 24 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #19
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

I remember seeing Chicken Little in the cinema. From what I recall, it was ay okay.
Really like Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, Secret Life Of Pets and The LEGO Batman Movie.
Arthur Christmas and Incredibles 2 are on my list of films I need to see someday.

+Quote Post
devil tin coffin
post Dec 25 2018, 10:39 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

Cloudy falling this hard is a TRAVESTY, one of my top 10 animated films ever for sure! Secret Life of Pets should be even lower, absolute shite of a movie.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2020 - 11:45 AM