BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 25th January 2019
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Jan 25 2019, 06:04 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Goodness me, are we nearly at the end of January already? Slow down already! Welcome to this week's personal top 20 from yours truly everyone. Has Aston Merrygold held onto the top with his first solo number one, or do we have another new chart topper from Jennifer Lopez or Four of Diamonds? Here's where we find out first...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 25th January 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (HNE) JENNIFER LOPEZ - Limitless
2. (NE) FOUR OF DIAMONDS - Blind
3. (3) NOW UNITED - All Day
4. (2) WESTLIFE - Hello My Love
5. (4) LOS UNIDADES FEAT. PHARRELL WILLIAMS & JOZZY - E-Lo
6. (NE) CLAIRE RICHARDS - Shame On You
7. (1) ASTON MERRYGOLD - Poison Ivy
8. (5) LAUV - Superhero
9. (6) FLEUR EAST - Favourite Thing
10. (7) OLLY MURS - Excuses

11. (9) GEORGE EZRA - Hold My Girl
12. (8) JESS GLYNNE - Thursday
13. (10) WARD THOMAS - No Filter
14. (11) RAE MORRIS - Dancing With Character
15. (12) SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR - Take Me Home (Orchestral Remix)
16. (NE) NINA NESBITT - Colder
17. (14) LITTLE MIX - Think About Us
18. (15) CLEAN BANDIT FEAT. MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS & LUIS FONSI - Baby
19. (16) ELLIE GOULDING FEAT. DIPLO & SWAE LEE - Close To Me
20. (NE) ED DREWETT - So Long

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

We're almost an entire lunar cycle into 2019, and already it's proving to be like 1999 in many ways. Not least because of the relatively alien - certainly compared to recent years - turnover at number one on my chart, but because the artists up there happened to be around at that time too. For as Aston Merrygold takes an unusually sharp tumble from last week's chart topper to this week's #7, one of the prime R&B pop princesses of the turn of the century is back at the top. I am of course, talking about Jennifer Lopez.

This year marks 20 years since the superstar entertainer made her first steps into the world of pop with her global smash hit debut single 'If You Had My Love'. It was a #4 hit for her on my personal chart in July 1999, and along the way, the gaps between new studio material from her have got increasingly wider.

But just every so often she'll deliver a surefire contender for the top of the chart - and boy has she done so in style this week. 'Limitless' is actually probably the most straightforwardly commercial single she has done for some time. Either way, the main theme from her new film Second Act - which hits UK cinemas today - gives her a fourth number one single on my personal chart.

Her others? 'Love Don't Cost A Thing' (for one week exactly 18 years ago in 2001), 'Get Right' (one week in February 2005) and most recently 'On The Floor' with Pitbull (for three weeks in April 2011). Amongst female solo artists, only Britney Spears (seven) and Kylie Minogue and Jess Glynne (eight apiece) can claim to have enjoyed more turns at the top of my chart.

Your sympathies then, to Four Of Diamonds, who must have thought they were in with a shot of an easy chart topper at the start of a new year. The hotly tipped British girl group and former X Factor finalists' debut single 'Name On It' gave them their first top 5 hit last June, but the follow up 'Stupid Things' only made #8 in October in a fairly in-out chart appearance. Their third release 'Blind' however, is a truly brilliant pop record to match if not better the majesty of their first release, hence it claims the week's second highest new entry at #2. This is definitely one we can expect to see around for a lot longer I would think.

Claire Richards had strong top 5 debuts for her first two solo singles away from Steps with 'On My Own' and 'End Before We Start', but her one off festive single "My Heart Is Heading Home" at Christmas faltered considerably in December with its #17 peak. Thankfully that proves to have been a temporary blip, as third single proper 'Shame On You' improves on that, albeit falling just one place short of joining the first two in the top 5. Her debut solo album "My Wildest Dreams" finally hits shelves next week.

Nina Nesbitt's long awaited second album 'The Sun Will Come Out, The Seasons Will Change' is also due to hit the shelves a week today. Ahead of that new album, she claims a second top 20 hit from it - the third of her career overall - with 'Colder' arriving at this week's #16, just four places short of the #12 peak she reached with 'Stay Out' last October. And the top 20 rounds off with the fifth such hit for Ed Drewett this week. 'So Long' is the follow-up to 'The Unfortunate Gent' which hit the top 20 last October, and is a gloriously moving and exquisitely crafted contemporary pop ballad that just looks plain wrong scraping the bottom end of the top 20. His 'reworked versions' album 'Ten', including his covers of previous personal chart toppers he wrote like 'Dear Darlin' for Olly Murs and 'Black Magic' for Little Mix is out now.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2002: P!nk launches her second album with a pop classic - and first chart topper - plus new hits from a debuting Christina Milian, The Chemical Brothers and short lived telly pop combo Allstars

1. (HNE) P!NK - Get The Party Started

2. (1) AALIYAH - More Than A Woman
3. (NE) CHRISTINA MILIAN - AM To PM
4. (2) PURETONE - Addicted To Bass
5. (NE) ALLSTARS - The Land Of Make Believe
6. (3) SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR - Murder On The Dancefloor
7. (NE) THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS - Star Guitar
8. (4) DANIEL BEDINGFIELD - Gotta Get Thru This
9. (5) KATE WINSLET - What If
10. (NE) GEORGE HARRISON - My Sweet Lord (2002 Reissue)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Jan 25 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Hello ThePenSmith!
Heard the Jennifer Lopez song recently... it's alright, i guess?
But I actually like "Colder", can I ask why isn't Nina Nesbitt more popular?
Great chart!

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jan 26 2019, 05:42 PM
Post #3
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Jan 25 2019, 08:54 PM) *
Hello ThePenSmith!
Heard the Jennifer Lopez song recently... it's alright, i guess?
But I actually like "Colder", can I ask why isn't Nina Nesbitt more popular?
Great chart!

Hi Sergej. Re: Nina. It could yet climb, you never know wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 06:57 AM