BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roma, Netflix / Alfonso Cuarón
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Crypt of the Wom...
post Feb 9 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #1
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

No thread, really?! C'mon guys, you don't even need to go to the cinema to see this!

Available on Netflix, Roma is a Alfonso Cuaron's semi-autobiographical account of a house maid in a middle class family in 1970s Mexico around the time of political and domestic change. It's getting universal acclaim from most places and winner of two Golden Globes and Critics Choice Awards, it's also nominated for ten Oscars including Best Picture and seven Baftas and it's still gaining ground, could it be the first streaming movie to win Best Picture? xo

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crypt of the Wom...
post Feb 9 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #2
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Absolutely stunning film, emotionally, technically, visually, performance-wise...it's such a triumph in every area heart.gif the way that each shot was so filled with depth that something you weren't focusing on jumps out and the lack of any non-diegetic sound was masterful and it really did feel like the most personal and intimate film I've seen in a while, especially knowing it was autobiographical as it felt so authentic. Definitely cheering it on in the Best Picture race so far (even if I'm yet to see most of them yet!)

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Feb 9 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

I had a friend who found it extremely dull and another friend who holds your opinion. I'm interested to see who I agree with laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 9 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #4
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

i'm one that thought it was extremely dull. i just couldn't get into it. even though it's visually stunning it just really dragged unnecessarily in places. i was waiting for the next scene to have something happen but it never did. i feel like if the movie was in colour and set in america with american actors it'd be laughed at but because it's black and white with subtitles people seem to think it's special.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2020 - 02:15 PM