BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Melodifestivalen 2019 / heat three / Leksand (16th Feb)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post 12th February 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Well, what a semi turn-up for the books that was! And also the first time two women with lead billing (Aninia was only a "featured" artist) have qualified direkt til finalen out of the same heat since Malena & Agnes in 2009. And now we're onto the highlight and/or lowlight of the Melfest calendar, Heat 3! Whatever you think is about to happen, rest assured that you'll probably predict it wrong! (For the full rundown, my intro from last year still stands). But what will happen to Heat 3 this year given we've got potentially the BIG favourite in this heat AND the equalised weighting of the age demographics seems to be shaking the snowglobe as well? That, darlings, is what makes this all such a spectacle to behold!

01 The Lovers of Valdaro - Somebody Wants

Every year there's one act that qualifies via the "P4 Nästa" competition for smaller/unsigned bands to get a spot on the biggest TV show in Sweden. And not to put too fine a point on it, one look at these guys and their music style ("80-talsmusik" according to SVT) suggests that this is where they were destined to be! And they've also bagged themselves the combo of writers that penned Euroqueen National Anthem "Euphoria" so they're hoping to go hard rather than go home. But will this end up more in the style of Midnight Boy (R.I.P) and be doomed to the scrapheap or will this have what it takes to do one better than SMILO (the last P4 entrant to have a somewhat competitive song) and make it through the mix?

02 Dolly Style - Habibi

Now on their seventh (!) lineup, three women assuming the identities of "Molly", "Holly" and "Polly" are back to get gays and girls under the age of 9 their lives. Although annoyingly this appears to be more of a midtempo number so this might be lacking the "you will hear me when I cum/when I pop my cherry gum" je ne sais quoi that I come to dolly style for. They've made andra chansen on both of their last appearances, could they do one better this time?

03 Martin Stenmarck - Låt Skiten Brinna

Still UNFORGIVEN for the Melfest 2005 fiasko where he snatched the victory from Nanne Gronvall and ruptured what could have been a gloriously camp and *.* run of Swedish entries for all of the 00s, Martin has had a few Melfest appearances since then where he's transitioned to one of those "real music" manpop bores. I'd have written him off but in a year where Andreas Johnson has bounced back to get an AC spot after a last place finish then maybe there's hope Martin as well?

04 Lina Hedlund - Victorious

Okay gays, strap yourselves in! Better known as the raven haired disco dinosaur from Alcazar/the one who could do a spin without looking like they were on the verge of collapse (sorry Tess) is back with what will be a mix of Helene Fischer style 2010s schlager pop and Alcazar intended gay disco fantasy. It's a lazy but accurate thing to point out that this is tapping into the same market that Jessica Andersson tapped into with last year's Party Voice but will Lina be able to create an...Afterparty Voice? (credit for that joke to scandipop.co.uk)

05 Omar - Om om och om igen

So we've had the sad one, the pretty one and now the...other one. There isn't anything especially new I can say about Omar that I didn't say about Oscar last week but now that Oscar got the, admittedly undeserved, last place last week that shows that being a former Foooooo Conspirator isn't a guarantee of a bucketload of votes in the way we think it is. From his previous work this will likely have some form of reggaeton/tropical house elements woven into the song.

06 Rebecka Karlsson - Who I Am

Alumni of both Sweden's Got Talent and Swedish Idol, Rebecka Karlsson appears in slot 6 which is so far turning out to be the *actual* pimp slot this year with both Mohombi and Hanna/LIAMOO qualifying from this spot so far this year. Anderz Wrethov (aka Mr Fuego) appears as a writer here but I'm expecting something more like "Running With Lions" than "Kizunguzungu" at least in terms of tempo. And she's got the official themesong of both Malmo Pride and "Snow Pride" (aka The north of Sweden/Arctic Circle Pride) under her belt. There's all the ingredients of a very competitive entry here but will they be put together in a way strong enough to challenge the titans already in the final?

Well chief among her competition will be...

07 Jon Henrik Fjällgren - Norrsken

PROUD SONS OF THE NORTH

THERE IS A FELL VOICE ON THE AIR

WHISPERS OF A FORGOTTEN NAME...

....KEMPE...

Jon Henrik's been "on the bench" of acts that people have pegged for an eventual win in Melodifestivalen since he came 2nd to eventual Eurovision winner turned UK National Final host Mans Zelmerlow and for all intents and purposes it looks like the stars might be aligning for him this year. The song has been described as "Jon Henrik goes Kygo" and features Jon Henrik singing as well as his usual joiking. Plus he's got, the incomparable, the legendary, Fredrik Kempe as a songwriter - the man who has never written a bad chorus and doesn't look like he'll be stopping soon. We'd be here all day if we even did a brief rundown of all his contributions to Melfest over the last 15 years but for a quick sample, do enjoy this instructional video. Safe to say, if you've enjoyed an Eric Saade, Crown Princess Sanna Nielsen, HRH Charlotte Perelli or (twink phase) Mans Zelmerlow then you've got this man to thank.

PLUS Jon Henrik is fresh off of winning the Swedish version of Strictly Come Dancing (i.e. the second biggest show in Sweden behind, well, this one! (what a wonderful country)) so he's got the Swedish TV audiences primed and ready to vote for him. PLUS PLUS, let's be real here, he's at least a solid 7, an 8 on a good day. If this heat were swapped round with Heat 4 then I'd feel pretty confident that this is the "chosen one". Will this live up to the hype or will the curse of Heat 3 claim yet another victim?

-x-

Wednesday: The Press get their first plays of the weeks songs, their reviews will appearing on social media after 18:00 CET
Thursday: 1 minute clips of the studio versions and 30 second clips of the stage rehearsals will be uploaded
Friday: Dress Rehearsal for the final show, the "genrep" poll of audience members from the rehearsal crowd gets released, giving us a first clue as to what's going to be popular with the Swedish Public
Saturday: The Show!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
LexC
post 12th February 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

(the ordering in that Kempe video does not necessarily reflect the views of the OP)

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 12th February 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

You know I'd totally forgot that Martin Stenmarck was doing this.

There's a lot to be excited for this week, but I'm splitting my love between Team Lina and Team Omar.

+Quote this post
Alex!
post 12th February 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,983

Part of me is sitting here pretending that Dolly Style's last two songs weren't absolute BOPS. I am secretly looking forward to them haha

+Quote this post
LexC
post 12th February 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

My best pre-hearing anything predictions:

DTF: Jon Henrik, Rebecka
AC: Omar, Lovers of Valdaro
5th: Lina
6th: Dolly Style
7th: Martin

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 12th February 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I'm pretty sure Jon Henrik is going to win the whole thing, but obviously with Melfest you never know until we hear everything and even then anything could happen until they read out the results, but as Lex said in the opening write up, an attractive man who is popular otherwise is hardly going to have too much to worry about laugh.gif

Interested in Lina, Rebecca and Dolly Style this week.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 13th February 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

Most excited to hear Jon Henrik's of absolutely everything this year. He was fabulous first time round and this time round, it sounds like he's bringing something Kygo/Avicii/Axwell & Ingrosso-esque and I think meshed together with his unique joik style, we could be in for something really unique and special. Whether Sweden dare to plump for something foreign language and not tailor-made is another matter.

I've got a feeling Dolly Style wearing belly dancing costumes, mixing Middle Eastern sounds with their trademark bubblegum pop is gonna go down like a lead balloon. So, without hearing any songs and just reading up on a few reviews and descriptions:

DTF: Jon Henrik & Rebecka
AC: Lina & Omar
5th: Lovers of Valdaro
6th: Martin
7th: Dolly Style

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 13th February 2019, 11:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Jon Henrik with a song that channels Kygo/Avicii sounds on paper like something that could be a Eurovision winner let alone a Melfest winner!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 13th February 2019, 11:55 PM
Post #9
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Honestly not expecting anything big after heat 2’a results turned out to be... beyond horrible

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 14th February 2019, 06:16 AM
Post #10
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

I had big interest in Lina's entry, but wish to hear something like "Nothing Can Stop Us" and "Big Time Party" over Alcazar songs.

"Nothing Can Stop Us" hold deserved place in my top 5 MF songs from 21st century. Together with "Naughty Boy", "Trivialitet", "Undo" and "Casanova".

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: 14th February 2019, 06:16 AM

+Quote this post
Aaron.
post 14th February 2019, 01:52 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,245

1 Minute Clips Are Out.....

The Lovers of Valdaro: The autotune isn't doing it for me, but after what won last year and a good performance this could actually do well in this heat?
Dolly Style: Definitely not as instant as their previous two entries. Very juvenile. I see what they were attempting to go for, but this doesn't hit the mark at all.
Martin Stenmarck: The first 40 seconds of this was boring as hell, but it picked up. A step up from him compared to his previous entry, but still, why?
Lina Hedlund: BITCH I AM HERE FOR THIS. Party Voice & Insomnia mashed together. *.* YESSSSSS LINAAAAAA
Omar Rudberg: How is this more Margaret than what we got from Margaret last week? I think this could do very well.
Rebecka Karlsson: More like 'Who Am I?'. I was bored.
Jon Henrik Fjallgren: I hate that he was basically given his own heat with no competition while last week was a bloodbath. He was going DTF in any heat, let's be honest. This isn't as instant as his other two.

The only one I'm looking forward to is Lina. Everything else is a heap of disappointment.

This post has been edited by Aaron.: 14th February 2019, 01:53 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 14th February 2019, 02:24 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Lina and Jon's songs both sound great to me from the clips. The latter has 'laidback Avicii song' style to the production, similar to Vargas and Lagola's stuff. Lina's sounds like the big contemporary schlager moment of the year, yasss. I knew she wouldn't let me down.

None of the others struck me in a huge way from the clips.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 14th February 2019, 02:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I am keen to hear Jon Henrik, it sounds like it could be a big contender from the descriptions. Dolly Style I feel might tickle my fancy also.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 15th February 2019, 01:19 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Ffs forgot I'm working Saturday night so will miss this one again! I've never missed two heats, the first world problems.

From the clips

Jon: well this is a letdown... I was never a fan but him mixed with some Avicii ness could have been a Eurovision winner, this just feels not that different to his others but weaker. I'd still wager that this is winning the whole thing though so perhaps it being forced on me will make it grow.
Rebecka: I'm here for it, but it's not a lot more than a strong but basic bop, it feels like Lisa Ajax or Molly Sanden cast this aside for something better and Rebecka caught it and thought she'd just make do with it.
Omar: not mad at this, I won't go crazy over it though and in terms of FO&O songs, this is nowhere near I Love It.
Lina: every year needs a schlager banger like this *.* Wouldn't be shocked at this sneaking DTF and I wouldn't be mad either.
Martin: makes me feel the same as Andreas' song last week - could have been FAR worse!
Dolly Style: yeah I agree this just isn't there.Verging on embarrassing, but still slightly enjoyable for now for what it is. I doubt I'll go back to it much after though when it inevitably crashes out.
Lovers of Valdoro: it just feels like they heard Dance You Off, and were like ka-ching that's what wins laugh.gif Not terrible but nothing great, I can see it sneaking AC.

Not a great heat, Lina is my favourite but I can see Rebecka growing on me a lot if the performance stands out. Ofc Jon gets the weak af heat to stomp all over, he'd do that no matter what he was in though I agree laugh.gif

Gonna guess at:
DTF: Jon (duh), Rebecka (if Malou can do it, so can she)
AC Lina, Lovers Of Valdoro
5th Omar
6th Martin
7th Dolly Style

But after last week who even knows anymore?

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 15th February 2019, 05:16 AM
Post #15
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Best : Lina
Worst : Dolly Style

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 15th February 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #16
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

Apparently these are the results of the audience poll from the rehearsal?

1. “Habibi“, Dolly Style (144 röster – 26,5%)
2. “Norrsken“, Jon Henrik Fjällgren (143 röster – 26,3%)
3. “Om om och om igen“, Omar Rudberg (93 röster – 17,1%)
4. “Låt skiten brinna“, Martin Stenmarck (62 röster – 11,4%)
5. “Victorious“, Lina Hedlund (38 röster – 7,0%)
6. “Somebody Wants“, The Lovers of Valdaro (35 röster – 6,4%)
7. “Who I Am“, Rebecka Karlsson (28 röster – 5,2%)

Baffling, I would've expected Dolly Style and Rebecka to be the other way round

+Quote this post
LexC
post 15th February 2019, 09:57 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

iirc the Genrep audiences are generally more kids and families heavy so Dolly Style's core audience is probably over represented in that poll.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 15th February 2019, 10:30 PM
Post #18
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

I don’t think they’ve ever topped a genrep poll before though? And by that measure, you’d surely have expected Malou to have done better with the genrep last week. Certainly makes you wonder if things might not be so clear cut dead in the water for them!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 15th February 2019, 11:07 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

What on EARTH at Dolly Style laugh.gif I hope those aren't the real results, my two faves crashing out again would be a bit shit. Is Wiktoria DTF the only luck I'm allowed this year?

+Quote this post
nickthenoodle
post 16th February 2019, 12:50 AM
Post #20
Group icon
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
User: 4,844

Some Bookies have Dolly Style second in the odds now after the poll - really can't see it but wouldn't mind at all laugh.gif!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:16 PM