BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 22nd March 2019
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Mar 22 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Good afternoon people - it's Friday, and time to start the countdown of my personal top 20 for this week. George Ezra notched up his fourth consecutive number one single in a year last Friday when 'Pretty Shining People' smashed in at the top - but has he hung for a second week this week or has the challenge of those Jonas Brothers and Mabel proved too strong to resist? Here's your answer...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 22nd March 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (3) JONAS BROTHERS - Sucker
2. (8) MABEL - Don't Call Me Up
3. (HNE) UNA HEALY - Strangers
4. (2) P!NK - Walk Me Home
5. (NE) BOB SINCLAR FEAT. ROBBIE WILLIAMS - Electrico Romantico
6. (1) GEORGE EZRA - Pretty Shining People
7. (4) NOW UNITED FEAT. BADSHAH - How We Do It
8. (5) ALPHABEAT - Shadows
9. (NE) RITA ORA - Only Want You
10. (NE) MICHAEL BUBLÉ - Forever Now

11. (7) RAK-SU - Into It
12. (6) EMMA BUNTON - Baby Please Don't Stop
13. (9) JULIA MICHAELS FEAT. NIALL HORAN - What A Time
14. (10) ELLIE GOULDING - Flux
15. (NE) RUTHANNE - Love Again
16. (11) BUSTED - Radio
17. (12) LSD - Mountains
18. (14) MARINA & THE DIAMONDS - Handmade Heaven
19. (16) TAKE THAT - Everlasting
20. (13) DIDO - Give You Up

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

Jonas Brothers have just proved singlehandedly that their moment of triumphant glory with the top 3 debut for 'Sucker' last week was no fluke, as they advance two places to claim their first ever number one on my chart. In truth, it's the kind of record that's impossible to resist the more you listen to it, so its ascendancy to the top is no surprise.

Say it quietly, but with no big new singles currently challenging in the next two weeks, we could finally have our first chart topper to 'go the distance' this year with this record. There's even more of a surprise this week, as having fallen back a place to #8 last week, Mabel quite sensationally charges up six places to #2, making her now nine week old 'Don't Call Me Up' the biggest hit of her career so far.

And that's not the only surprise for this week's top 3, as this week's highest new entry is from a lady who's been more accustomed to her time spent there with her former girl group. Una Healy made a total of 18 visits to the top 5 of my chart - ten of those at number one - with The Saturdays, but since she launched her solo career two years ago, the highest she'd got on my chart until now was on 'Stay My Love', with Sam Palladio, a #6 hit for her in February 2017.

Now her new single 'Strangers' - a heartfelt and beautifully penned ballad she premiered last Friday, widely believed to have been written about the disintegration of her marriage last year - has surpassed even that to enter at #3, meaning she also surpasses her former band mate Mollie King's #4 hit 'Hair Down' from September 2017 to have the biggest solo hit away from The Saturdays to date.

French house DJ Bob Sinclar made a total of three top 10 visits over the course of 2005 and 2006 with 'Love Generation', 'World Hold On' and 'Everybody Dance Now'. He now returns this week with Robbie Williams on 'Electrico Romantico', debuting at #5, making it his fourth top 10 hit and the 28th such hit on my chart for Williams - more than any other male solo artist. Speaking of male solo artists, all this new activity and movement has meant something had to give for George Ezra, who makes a shock tumble from last week's entry at number one to #6 with 'Pretty Shining People' - making it the second record this year to fall outside my top 5 from the summit. It's hard to view it as a fluke chart topper but given it's on an album that's been out for a year and is the fifth single in, we can put it down to pure momentum of what came before.

Rita Ora scores a second top 10 hit from her 'Phoenix' album this week - the first, 'Let You Love Me' made #4 last September and now 'Only Want You' enters at #9. Michael Bublé's last single, 'Love You Anymore' was inside my top 10 for almost three months, after getting as high as #2 last November. That song made #6 on its first week out, so we await with interest to see the fate of 'Forever Now', which debuts at this week's #10.

Finally this week, Irish singer/songwriter RuthAnne continues her frustrating habit of releasing a single and getting nowhere the top 10 placing achieved by her debut 'Take My Place' almost a year ago. At the very least, her fourth single 'Love Again' does at least match the #15 peak and entry of her last single, 'It Is What It Is' from November.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2005: McFly spend a second week at the top with their Comic Relief single, plus classic hits from Gwen Stefani, Jem and Basement Jaxx

1. (1) MCFLY - All About You / You've Got A Friend

2. (HNE) GWEN STEFANI FEAT. EVE - Rich Girl
3. (NE) JEM - They
4. (2) STEREOPHONICS - Dakota
5. (NE) BASEMENT JAXX FEAT. LISA KEKAULA - Oh My Gosh
6. (3) JENNIFER LOPEZ - Get Right
7. (NE) SHAPESHIFTERS - Back To Basics
8. (4) SUNSET STRIPPERS - Falling Stars
9. (NE) GREEN DAY - Holiday
10. (5) PHANTOM PLANET - California
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2020 - 09:02 PM