BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beautiful Stranger ● 20 Years
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Jun 11 2019, 05:18 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

It's 20 years since the release of 'Beautiful Stranger', Madonna's last single of the 90s. The song was included on the soundtrack to Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and won the battle to become the coveted first single. Teaming up again with William Orbit, the pair inject 60s psychedelic pop into their Ray of Light sound to produce a playful, groovy(baby) song that has instrumentation reminiscent of The Beatles.

'Beautiful Stranger' was a huge success, particularly in the UK where it dominated the airwaves, spending five weeks at #1 on the radio airplay charts. It broke the record for number of plays in a week (2,462), eventually racking up 44,483 plays by the end of 1999 to become the year's most played song. It resulted in Madonna achieving her second highest debut sales (136k), although this wasn't enough to overcome the debut of S Club 7's 'Bring It All Back'. In the US, the record company decided not to release the physical commercially, yet it still managed a #19 peak on the strength of radio play.

The accompanying music video was an extension of the Austin Powers film, with Madonna portrayed as a spy, a "master of disguise", who is seducing all the top agents. What follows is a fun, goofy video as Austin attempts to fight off fantasising about Madonna as he watches her perform in a club, finally succumbing to her charm. It's some much needed lightheartedness following the serious Ray of Light era and ended up receiving three nominations at the MTV Video Music Awards, including a win for Best Video from a Film.

20 years on, how do you rate 'Beautiful Stranger'?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 11 2019, 05:22 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

'Beautiful Stranger' was remixed for the clubs by Victor Calderone:

Only included on the setlist for Drowned World Tour, although it did make one-off appearances on tour in 2008 and 2016:

Madonna's win at the 1999 MTV Video Music Awards:

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jun 11 2019, 06:25 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

She seems to have forgotten about this track . It needs to feature on the x tour. Non fans seem to really enjoy this song , it’s a low vocal and I’m sure she can pull this one of live.

When released it broke airplay records . Beaten to number 1 by s club 7 - bring it all back .

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 11 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #4
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Can't say this is a massive favourite of mine and it does seem fairly forgotten but it's fun enough. The music video is a riot though!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 12 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol

For such a successful song, this seems to have been largely forgotten about, which is a shame. I loved this as a kid, I don't rate it quite as high as I did but it's still a great amount of fun.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 12 2019, 11:33 PM
Post #6
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

By far and away the worst single she's ever had. Absolutely vile. Thank God it's largely forgotten about.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 14 2019, 01:49 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol

We've got a Chart Battle Replay game of 'Bring It All Back' vs. 'Beautiful Stranger' in the charts forum. Show Madge your support, it's a tight race!

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223051

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jun 13 2019, 12:33 AM) *
By far and away the worst single she's ever had. Absolutely vile. Thank God it's largely forgotten about.

Her worst? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jun 14 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #8
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Such a classic, it was the first Madonna single I bought at the age of 12. When I was really young it was my favourite song of hers, but obviously it's not anymore. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:33 PM