BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 27th September 2019
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Sep 27 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Hello people, and welcome to our countdown of our personal top 20 singles for this week. Last week, McFly returned to the top of our chart after almost six years away with the first two singles off their 'Lost Songs' project, scoring their eleventh number one with 'Touch the Rain'. Another new single from the lads is waiting in the wings today though, as is new releases from Camila Cabello and Now United, so could any of them be at the top today? Here's where we find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 27th September 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (1) MCFLY - Touch the Rain
2. (HNE) CAMILA CABELLO - Liar
3. (NE) MCFLY - We Were Only Kids
4. (NE) NOW UNITED - Crazy Stupid Silly Love

5. (3) ALPHABEAT - I Don't Know What's Cool Anymore
6. (NE) THE SCRIPT - The Last Time
7. (2) MCFLY - Red
8. (4) ONEREPUBLIC - Wanted
9. (5) CAPULETS - Act One EP
10. (6) MARK RONSON FEAT. CAMILA CABELLO - Find U Again

11. (7) RICK ASTLEY - Every One of Us
12. (8) CRAIG DAVID - Do You Miss Me Much
13. (9) PET SHOP BOYS FEAT. YEARS & YEARS - Dreamland
14. (NE) HANNE LELAND - The Nights I Can't Sleep
15. (10) LOUISE - Breaking Back Together
16. (11) JONAS BLUE FEAT. HRVY - Younger
17. (12) KATY PERRY - Small Talk
18. (14) SHAWN MENDES FEAT. CAMILA CABELLO - Senőrita
19. (NE) WILL YOUNG - Ground Running
20. (13) PAIGE CAVELL - Figure It Out

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

You won't have to hang around quite so long this week I promise. However, still a lot of activity to talk about, in fact there's four of this week's six new entries inside the top 10. And once again McFly are the main story this week - but perhaps not in the way anyone imagined seven days ago. Indeed, our suggestion that they could occupy all the top 10 slots by their new album's release in November seems fanciful at present.

For the biggest surprise is that the single from the lads at the top is the same one from last week, 'Touch the Rain' holding firm for a second week to make it their first chart topper since 'The Heart Never Lies' in October 2007 to last this long. All eyes will be on them next week to see if they breakthrough the hattrick barrier, a feat they haven't done since 'I'll Be OK' held on for four weeks in August 2005. 'Touch the Rain' continues on at number one, and the other new McFly single from last week 'Red' drops five places to #7, largely because it was never going to be troubled by this week's new McFly single, 'We Were Only Kids', which enters at #3, or by the other two big new singles either side of it from Camila Cabello and Now United.

'Liar' is now the third top 3 hit in less than three months for the former Fifth Harmony star, following her recent number one with Mark Ronson on 'Find U Again' - dipping 6-10 this week on its seventh week, and her #2 hit from July, 'Senőrita' with Shawn Mendes, slipping 14-18 on its twelfth week, both of which are among my top 10 biggest singles of the year to date. The first single from her as yet to be titled second album, 'Liar' debuts at #2 to claim the week's highest new entry. Collectively, McFly and Cabello's appearances account for 30% of this week's top 20 singles - a first in our chart history.

Now United enter at #4 with their latest release 'Crazy Stupid Silly Love', meaning that in just over a year the multi membered international pop combo - who have finally released their catalogue to date on streaming platforms this week - have achieved six top 5 singles on my chart. That's one more than their Simon Fuller backed predocessors S Club 7 managed in the fifteen months between their debut 'Bring It All Back' in June 1999 and 'Natural' in September 2000.

However, all of S Club's first five hits were number ones, and Now United's sixth release fails for now to follow up the chart topping success of their last single, 'Parana / Beautiful Life' being their second number one in June. It will need to climb next week if it is to avoid tieing with their debut 'Summer In The City' from July 2018 as being their lowest charting hit to date.

Two years on from their last studio album, 'Freedom Child', which only produced one top 10 hit in the form of 'Rain' (#9 almost two years ago), Irish rockers The Script return to the upper echelon this week with a #6 entry for 'The Last Time', off their as yet to be titled sixth album. At the very least it maintains their proud tradition of scoring a top 10 hit from every album they have released to date, but the one that produced the most is still their 2008 self titled debut, which housed their four week chart topper 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved', as well as 'We Cry' and 'Breakeven'.

Dropping into the top 20 for our last two new entries today, Hanne Leland returns with her sixth top 20 hit. 'The Nights I Can't Sleep' actually represents a small recovery for her, as her last single 'Delicate' failed to make it past its #19 entry point back in May. Will Young also scores the third top 20 hit from his current album 'Lexicon' album this week, as 'Ground Running' enters at this week's #19.

FLASHBACK TOP 10

Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2004: Girls Aloud remain top of the pile for a second week with their fifth chart topper 'Love Machine', plus classic hits from Green Day, Maroon 5 and The Prodigy

1. (1) GIRLS ALOUD - Love Machine

2. (2) GREEN DAY - American Idiot
3. (4) MAROON 5 - She Will Be Loved
4. (3) THE PRODIGY - Girls
5. (6) NATASHA BEDINGFIELD - These Words
6. (7) TWISTA - Sunshine
7. (5) NELLY FEAT. JAHEIM - My Place
8. (NE) GROOVE ARMADA - I See You Baby '04
9. (NE) MUSE - Butterflies & Hurricanes
10. (8) KRISTIAN LEONTIOU - Shining
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2019 - 05:56 AM