BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bedtime Stories ● 25 Years
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Medellíam
post Oct 25 2019, 11:09 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Today marks 25 years since the release of Madonna's sixth studio album, Bedtime Stories. Having explored sexual fantasies and tackled taboos on Erotica, Madonna turned to a more tender view of love, one driven by intimacy and passion, but also considering the effects of its absence or loss. To articulate the romantic vibe, Madonna worked with R&B producers such as Dallas Austin, Dave Hall and Babyface for a sensual, soulful sound. The work of Massive Attack and Bjork had caught the interest of Madonna too, so British producer Nellee Hooper was assigned to the project to bring a different dynamic with his electronic background. Madonna was toning down her image, wanting to bring the focus back to the music and less on what she said or did, however she made it clear she wasn't apologetic for her provocative sexual image and doesn't hesitate in addressing the backlash on the album.

Bedtime Stories saw Madonna continue to grow as an artist. It asserted her talents as a singer and songwriter, demonstrating her ability to maintain a consistent tone across an album of different producers, resulting in a collection designed to be experienced in its entirety. Its commercial performance saw fans enticed by the softer sound, selling more copies than the US and worldwide totals for Erotica. The legacy of this album is Madonna's refusal to apologise for her previous work or show regret or shame. By doing so, she kept the doors open for other female artists to express themselves freely and secured her confidence in her own artistic vision. On its 25th birthday, read us your thoughts and memories of Bedtime Stories.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Medellíam
post Oct 25 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

I can remember first purchasing this album in a charity shop with no real idea what the album was about. I knew of 'Secret' and 'Take a Bow' from Celebration but they weren't stand outs at the time and I had no idea about the album's background or anything, whereas I was aware of at least something regarding her other albums. It took a long time to grow; I recall not really being able to distinguish the tracks after listening and there obviously wasn't any upbeat pop songs for my still quite shallow pop tastes. There was definitely something about the album that was appealing though as I did keep returning to it in hope it would grow - perhaps I thought it had a 'grown-up' sound and thought it would be cool to 'get'.

Jump forward to today and I consider it one of my favourite Madonna albums. It's perfect for late night winding down or to play if you're feeling a bit down. Such a tender, warm album, lots of emotional depth and showcases some gorgeous vocals. Madonna had a great vision for this album and everything ties together so well - a song that's defensive like 'Human Nature' doesn't interrupt the laid back nature of the album and a song that takes on a completely different sound and style like 'Bedtime Story' seems to flow so seamlessly. It's testimony to Madonna's skill as artist.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Oct 26 2019, 11:09 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

This album is often overlooked by me. Such a pleasant listen . I adore every track bar survival .

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Oct 26 2019, 07:15 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Members
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Never an album I got into at the time or looked into much after, I must look up some tracks.

+Quote Post
Jay ☆
post Oct 27 2019, 12:38 AM
Post #5
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

wub.gif I love Bedtime Stories. For me this album excels for two reasons in particular: its smooth production, and for providing us with some of Madonna's warmest/most beautiful vocals of her career. It really just hits the spot for me! It's a very pleasant/calming listen, perfect to chill out to, which I feel makes it quite a unique entry amongst Madonna's studio albums.

+Quote Post
HauntedHaus
post Oct 27 2019, 04:14 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Inner Circle
Member No.: 13,007

I've just given the album another listen to celebrate its 25th and it's really glorious isn't it wub.gif Was never a favourite album of mine but it continues to age brilliantly. Her vocals are some of the best she's done as Jay has said, and the production is just sublime; like Ray of Light that came a bit later but more stripped back and subtle.

Favourite part of the album is definitely Sanctuary into Bedtime Story. The transition gets me every single time! *.*

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2019 - 05:05 AM