BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 25th October 2019
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePoguesmith
post Oct 25 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Good afternoon everyone, happy Friday - hope you have a nice weekend planned and don't forget to put your clocks back tomorrow night. Time for one of the most exciting and busy personal top 20 singles charts for weeks now. Is Niall Horan about to make it three weeks at number one, or will the might of two new McFly singles and the return of Sugababes (with DJ Spoony and the Garage Classical orchestra) and B*Witched prove too strong a challenge? Here's your answer...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 25th October 2019
AM LIMITED 2019

1. (HNE) DJ SPOONY PRESENTS GARAGE CLASSICAL FEAT. SUGABABES - Flowers
2. (1) NIALL HORAN - Nice To Meet Ya
3. (NE) PAIGE CAVELL - Red Is The Way
4. (2) MCFLY - Touch the Rain
5. (3) CAMILA CABELLO - Liar
6. (NE) MCFLY - Corner of My Mind
7. (5) DIPLO FEAT. JONAS BROTHERS - Lonely
8. (NE) B*WITCHED - Hold On
9. (NE) MCFLY - Something About You

10. (4) MCFLY - Break Me

11. (7) ALPHABEAT - I Don't Know What's Cool Anymore
12. (6) RUTHANNE - Take What I Can Get
13. (8) THE SCRIPT - The Last Time
14. (9) LAUV - Feelings
15. (10) MCFLY - Dare You To Move
16. (NE) SHAKESPEARS SISTER FEAT. RICHARD HAWLEY - When She Finds You
17. (NE) ARLISSA - Running

18. (11) DIDO - Just Because
19. (12) CHER LLOYD - M.I.A
20. (14) ONEREPUBLIC - Wanted

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

My goodness it's a busy chart this week. Thirteen records going down, no non movers or climbers, and seven brand new entries - let's crack on, shall we? And it's new number one time again, as Niall Horan dips to #2 after a fortnight at the top. And happily the record which replaces him has a story all of its own, for which we have to set the Wayback Machine to 20 years ago. As a new millennium dawned, and my personal chart celebrated a year in action, the big new sound of the dancefloors was UK Garage.

It made stars of everyone, who emanated from the underground club scene and into the mainstream, many of whom who are still well known in the public eye today, from Craig David and Mis-Teeq's Alesha Dixon (albeit more as a Britain's Got Talent judge), to the heavier likes of The Streets and So Solid Crew. And one man who was BBC Radio 1's champion of all things UK Garage was of course DJ Spoony of Dreem Teem fame.

Until today, his only two top 40 appearances on my chart were on singles as part of the Dreem Teem, in collaboration with Neneh Cherry in 1999 and with Artful Dodger in 2001. Fast forward to this year, and he's been reimagining the anthems that defined a generation with his new 'Garage Classical' album, which as the name implies focusses on a more live orchestral reproduction with a multitude of guest stars such as Paloma Faith, Ms Banks and Gabrielle.

And then there's the small matter of his guest stars on this track in particular. With a legacy stretching over a decade (albeit one that ensured the last lineup beared no resemblance to that which started it all off), Sugababes were one of the biggest girl groups of the 00s, who despite those four notoriously well documented lineup changes, a mix of sultry street cool and pop sophistication who managed eight number ones on my chart, sold millions of records and picked up many an award along the way.

The founding lineup of Mutya Buena, Keisha Buchanan and Siobhan Donaghy, did of course return to our chart under their alias Mutya Keisha Siobhan back in September 2013 when 'Flatline' made #2, but perhaps sensing they needed to ensure people knew exactly who it was officially, a lengthy and quite ugly legal battle began to win back the rights to their name.

Thankfully the battle was worth it, as they are now rightfully called Sugababes once more, and ahead of their own 20th anniversary celebrations next year since the release of their debut 'Overload', they have lended their vocals to DJ Spoony and his orchestra's cover of 'Flowers' by Sweet Female Attitude, originally a #2 hit on both our chart and the UK singles chart back in April 2000. The result is thus a sensational first number one single for DJ Spoony and a ninth for Sugababes who take 'Flowers' to the top two whole decades after it was first released.

Paige Cavell is our second highest new entry at #3 this week. 'Red Is The Way' is her third single and third consecutive top 10 hit, and her biggest so far, following 'Predators & Monsters' (#6 in May) and 'Figure It Out' (#4 in August). She's also performing much better than Xenomania's other current signings, girl group Unperfect, who have largely failed to build on the #7 success of their debut single 'Gots to Give the Girl' from the start of the year. Recent single 'IAFWU (Slide Out of My DMs)' was their fourth, but failed to make my top 40 at all, peaking at #49 last month.

Now, before we go any further - have you noticed anything? We've got this far into a commentary for the first time in weeks without mentioning the 'M' word. No, not that one, you rude minded people. I am of course talking about McFly. In any other ordinary week, as has been the case for the last month and a bit, they would have been the big story where new singles are concerned, but this is no ordinary week as you might have gathered.

For whilst their next two 'Lost Songs' appeared online this week, they enter at the lowest positions for these releases thus far since their reunion and O2 concert was announced. 'Corner of My Mind' enters at #6, whilst 'Something About You' enters at #9, all the while with 'Touch the Rain' still holding a top 5 berth and 'Break Me' and 'Dare You To Move' dropping to this week's #10 and #15 respectively. If both this week's McNewcomers are clinging onto top 20 positions seven days hence it'll be nothing short of a miracle.

In between those two new McFly arrivals, sits a new entry at #8, and a hearty welcome back to another set of girl group legends from the turn of the century. Celtic quartet B*Witched broke all sorts of records when they debuted with four UK number ones in 1998, a year before I started compiling my chart. Until today their last top 10 venturing under their own steam in our charts came exactly two decades ago, when 'Jesse Hold On' and 'I Shall Be There' both debuted and peaked at #4, thus ending their record breaking streak from their debut album.

They were back in our top 10 as recently as Christmas 2013, when they teamed up with their fellow stars of ITV2 show The Big Reunion for a one off charity single, and self released and recorded a new EP of music in 2014 titled 'Champagne or Guinness'. They return this week with a cover of 'Hold On', originally a hit for Wilson Phillips in 1990, and thus claim their fourth top 10 hit. To have two formerly dormant girl groups return to the upper echelons with cover version singles is almost unheard of in this day and age, but this week it's an opportune moment to celebrate this feat.

It's a shame then, that the reconvened Shakespears Sister couldn't make it a hattrick this week, however Siobhan and Marcella's third single since their own reunion does at least have the distinction of performing better than the last. 'All The Queen's Horses' shot into our chart at #2 in May, but the follow up 'C U Next Tuesday' foundered at #19 in August. 'When She Finds You' is a collaboration with popular English indie singer-songwriter Richard Hawley from their new 'Ride Again' EP (out today), and debuts at this week's #16.

Only a small handful of artists from Germany have entered my chart before today. The rankings swell slightly this week, thanks to the #17 debut for singer-songwriter Arlissa. She was hotly tipped for great things back in 2013 after collaborating with hip hop legend Nas, but when first single 'Sticks & Stones' failed to make my top 40, she was quietly dropped and her debut album 'Battles' went unreleased. She tries again this week with 'Running' and does much better, securing her first top 20 hit.

FLASHBACK TOP 10

Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2005: McFly secure their third straight chart topper with 'I Wanna Hold You', plus classic hits from Rachel Stevens, Alex Parks and Sugababes

1. (HNE) MCFLY - I Wanna Hold You

2. (1) RACHEL STEVENS - I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)
3. (2) SUGABABES - Push the Button
4. (NE) ALEX PARKS - Looking for Water
5. (3) PUSSYCAT DOLLS FEAT. BUSTA RHYMES - Don't Cha
6. (4) ROBBIE WILLIAMS - Tripping
7. (5) KATIE MELUA - Nine Million Bicycles
8. (6) LIBERTY X FEAT. REV RUN - Song 4 Lovers
9. (NE) LETHAL BIZZLE - Fire
10. (NE) DANNII MINOGUE VS. SOUL SEEKERZ - Perfection
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2019 - 06:03 PM