BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

> -
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why don't singers release a big Christmas single?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Zeebre12
post Nov 2 2019, 03:44 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,549
   No Gallery Pics

Why doesn't any big artist release a big Christmas single? We have had very average mediocre releases from Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Sia, Ariana Grande in the last few years. Hardly big hit Christmas songs. It doesn't seem like they put much effort into the songs really. Surely another Christmas classic like AIWFCIY can be written. It would be a money maker each year.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SKOB
post Nov 2 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Xmas songs become "big" over time, that's why. Look for Sia and Kylie for instance charting again this year.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Nov 2 2019, 04:50 PM
Post #3
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Why does everyone always ignore Coldplay when questioning why there aren't any big new Christmas songs despite theirs being one of the most successful? Could it be that people just want a new AIWFCIY and not just a big new Christmas song? x

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 2 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #4
MP for Flydale North
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I think it's a bit of a redundant question because ones you've mentioned such as Kelly, Ariana and also others such as Leona and Coldplay have become big Christmas hits. You seem to have confused success with your taste? I'm not really sure what you're wanting when you can't really get a more 'Christmassy' song than 'Underneath the Tree' whether you personally like the song or not.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Nov 2 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

the Kelly Clarkson song is amazing and far from mediocre... sure they put all the effort on it,wehy they wouldn't...

I'd say it's totally the opposite of what you are saying, people are realising lately that there is a market and a lot of people are now releasing Xmas songs... even our Ed wrote that Xmas song for Matt Terry and Perfect is a sorta Xmas song in disguise...

+Quote Post
Holiflop
post Nov 2 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #6
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Kelly Clarkson, Leona and Coldplay all havr big Christmas hits? One More Sleep is basicallyy AIWFCISY part 2.

+Quote Post
Robbie
post Nov 2 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 366
   No Gallery Pics

'Underneath The Tree' and 'One More Sleep' are both modern day Christmas classics. The efforts by Coldplay, The Killers, Ariana Grande, Sia and Katy Perry are all a bit dull.

It's good that we do get Christmas songs coming out these days. For a long while acts had given up on releasing Christmas tracks or like the Spice Girls put a woeful cover of a classic Christmas song ('Crhristmas Wrapping which they butchered) on the B side of their big Christmas release ('Goodbye').

Going off on a tangent here I've just found out that the lyrics to the Christmas classic 'I Believe In Father Christmas' by Greg Lake (number 2 at Christmas 1975 behind 'Bohemian Rhapsody') weren't written by Greg Lake. They were in fact written by Pete Sinfield, the former King Crimson member who wrote a few songs for Bucks Fizz as well as many other acts including the brilliant 'The Land Of Make Believe' which was a number 1 in January 1982. Greg Lake wrote the music although some of the melody is based on a classical musical piece (Lieutenant Kijé by Sergei Prokofiev),

+Quote Post
Zeebre12
post Nov 2 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 18,549
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Robbie @ Nov 2 2019, 06:51 PM) *
'Underneath The Tree' and 'One More Sleep' are both modern day Christmas classics. The efforts by Coldplay, The Killers, Ariana Grande, Sia and Katy Perry are all a bit dull.

It's good that we do get Christmas songs coming out these days. For a long while acts had given up on releasing Christmas tracks or like the Spice Girls put a woeful cover of a classic Christmas song ('Crhristmas Wrapping which they butchered) on the B side of their big Christmas release ('Goodbye').

Going off on a tangent here I've just found out that the lyrics to the Christmas classic 'I Believe In Father Christmas' by Greg Lake (number 2 at Christmas 1975 behind 'Bohemian Rhapsody') weren't written by Greg Lake. They were in fact written by Pete Sinfield, the former King Crimson member who wrote a few songs for Bucks Fizz as well as many other acts including the brilliant 'The Land Of Make Believe' which was a number 1 in January 1982. Greg Lake wrote the music although some of the melody is based on a classical musical piece (Lieutenant Kijé by Sergei Prokofiev),

That's what I mean. Underneath the Tree and One More Sleep are fairly good but others like Ariana Grande/Katy Perry could release a big proper Christmas single but release fairly dull mediocre songs that don't feel like big Christmas songs. Surely Ariana Grande/Katy Perry could release a big proper catchy Christmas song like Mariah Carey did.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Nov 2 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #9

Not all Christmas classics are big catchy pop songs tho. Arguably the biggest of them all, 'White Christmas', is pretty much the antithesis of that.

Also 'Santa Tell Me' is definitely in the same category as AIWFCIY anyway surely?? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Nov 2 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #10
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I just wish artists released any songs for Christmas like they used to. The charts leading up to Christmas used to be so much fun. Streaming dictating hits has kind of killed that off but X Factor had already started it years earlier.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 2 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

You can't write a modern-day Christmas classic overnight, you have to give it time to become popular. The Pogues and Mariah Carey's songs took many years after their release before they became Christmas staples. I actually think there's a lot more now than there has been before that seem to be standing the test of time and have the potential to become staples, One More Sleep is definitely one.

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Nov 2 2019, 09:37 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

One more sleep is the best Christmas song in the last few years and is standing the test of time. I wonder are the killers going to give us a surprise Christmas single this year.

This post has been edited by Feel_The_Fever: Nov 2 2019, 09:38 PM

+Quote Post
Bré
post Nov 2 2019, 09:54 PM
Post #13

It wouldn't really be a 'surprise' considering they drop a Christmas single literally every year laugh.gif

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Nov 2 2019, 09:56 PM
Post #14
If you're too shy let me knooooooow
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771
   No Gallery Pics

To be fair, there hasn't been one since 2016. But they've said they're not releasing any more.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Nov 2 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #15

Oh oops. I assumed the last few just made no impact. x

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 2 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Justice for Joel, The Lump Of Coal biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Nov 3 2019, 12:04 AM
Post #17
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh the Killers stopped their annual Xmas track a few years back when they released them all on Cd which I ordered off their website lol.

I think the question should be more like T Boy said - it would be great if the years biggest artists all released songs aimed at Xmas no1 again like back in the day. I can see Dance Monkey being no1 for another 4 weeks and then Mariah being no1 in December!

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Nov 3 2019, 12:07 AM
Post #18
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Nov 2 2019, 06:17 PM) *
You can't write a modern-day Christmas classic overnight, you have to give it time to become popular. The Pogues and Mariah Carey's songs took many years after their release before they became Christmas staples. I actually think there's a lot more now than there has been before that seem to be standing the test of time and have the potential to become staples, One More Sleep is definitely one.

The Pogues and Mariah both sold a lot on the year they were released too but I see your point.

+Quote Post
gavindeejay
post Nov 3 2019, 12:37 AM
Post #19
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Nov 3 2019, 12:04 AM) *
Yeh the Killers stopped their annual Xmas track a few years back when they released them all on Cd which I ordered off their website lol.

I think the question should be more like T Boy said - it would be great if the years biggest artists all released songs aimed at Xmas no1 again like back in the day. I can see Dance Monkey being no1 for another 4 weeks and then Mariah being no1 in December!

If Adele is releasing I imagine she’ll be Christmas Number 1 this year

+Quote Post
LJ JORD 7
post Nov 3 2019, 01:43 AM
Post #20
BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE ; BABYLON 🗡🦾
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 27,116
   No Gallery Pics

I’d love it to happen but I think people will always play the ones they know over hearing a new one tbh.

I’d love to see an OG Christmas track reach #1 though.

I miss the days of Christmas number one being a big event.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th August 2020 - 01:05 AM