BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Hip Hop Music?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ChristopherNatha
post Dec 17 2019, 08:22 AM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 98,659
   No Gallery Pics

My college roommate thinks that hip hop and rap are not music because they do not follow the patterns of western music theory, and thus cannot be plotted out on a music chart. Because the music is repetitive and generally lacks melody, it is defined as "boring" which is a music theory term. Instead of being music, he defines it as "urban poetry". Certainly rap can be poetry, but its poetry over music. I don't agree with any of his theories, and I think it is an extremely limiting definition of music that discounts not only hip hop, but many other genres of music. I may not know much about music theory, but as an avid listener I have a hard time accepting these dated rules and notions, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Dec 17 2019, 11:15 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

but thats not true, for instance all Frank Ocean songs have melody, chords, everything
and I can play them all on piano or guitar, so it must be music if it can be played on an instrument smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Dec 17 2019, 11:22 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

I would argue that these categorisations can't really apply to hip hop as a whole and thus your roommate's assertion is flawed from the start. Music can and will be repetitive in any genre, and hip hop can be sprawling in dense instrumentation ("To Pimp A Butterfly" is an obvious example) as well. As for melody, the same thing applies (listen to "Deltron 3030" and examine all the melodic progressions in the music, as well as the melodic cadence of Del's rapping). I think a lot of people have a knee-jerk reaction to a lot of hip hop that stops them seeing catchy melodies. But even with this in mind, I don't think it's fair to rule these as necessary components of music. Jazz has thrived for decades never playing by any sort of rules, and while I've heard plenty of people say it's unpleasant, I never see its status as music disputed. That's usually the sort of thing someone says when they want to try and get intellectual high ground. Music is too subjective to get away with 'x is good, x is bad', so instead people need to be lawyered into accepting a truth formed to serve the person who made the dispute.

In short, hip hop is music, yes.

+Quote Post
All★bySmashMouth
post Dec 17 2019, 12:08 PM
Post #4
FM11
Member No.: 7,795

What an age-old question. Seriously, I'm not wasting my breath to answer that elaborately.

+Quote Post
HausofGhibli
post Dec 17 2019, 05:08 PM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

The sound that my laptop makes as I type is music. Sound is music. Music is everywhere.

+ most western music has been borne out of hip-hop/urban/music of black origin anyway hasn't it?

Hip-hop is most definitely music and I am aghast that people think it is something else?

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Dec 17 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #6
If you're too shy let me knooooooow
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771
   No Gallery Pics

https://www.reddit.com/r/LetsTalkMusic/comm..._hip_hop_music/

Hmm

+Quote Post
dan-G
post Dec 17 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #7
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I think OP is a spammer as upon a google search this exact question was asked on reddit a year ago.

but yes, and I’ve never heard of “boring” being a proper music theory term. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HausofGhibli
post Dec 17 2019, 05:15 PM
Post #8
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 17 2019, 05:14 PM) *
but yes, and I’ve never heard of “boring” being a proper music theory term. laugh.gif

You've obviously never listened to Ed Sheeran then basil.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 17 2019, 05:28 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(HauntedHaus @ Dec 17 2019, 05:08 PM) *
The sound that my laptop makes as I type is music. Sound is music. Music is everywhere.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Dec 17 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #10
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

The vidcapper energy of this thread is strong.

(or it would be if it was a real person who posted it and not just a copy and paste bot)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th August 2020 - 09:37 AM