BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> FINAL RESULTS: The Beatles - 1 survivor, the winner is...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 2nd January 2020, 06:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

02. Yesterday (1965) / Help!
13/22 votes

Finishing as runner-up in these polls, with the most votes to eliminate a song so far, is 'Yesterday'! This very famous Beatles song was essentially the first solo performance from the band, as it's just Paul McCartney singing and playing the guitar, plus he's backed by a string quartet. Paul composed the entire melody of 'Yesterday' during a dream one night and was very confused when he woke up, thinking he must have plagiarised it from somewhere. He asked many different figures in the music industry if they'd heard this tune before but to no avail. So it was his. He made sure to remember the melody and initially wrote the silly lyrics "Scrambled eggs, oh my baby how I love your legs, not as much as I love scrambled eggs". These would eventually develop into the actual lyrics of 'Yesterday'. The ballad is about the break-up of a relationship, where he nostalgically looks back on when things were different. The final recording of 'Yesterday' was so different to anything that The Beatles had recorded up to then, to the point where the band members vetoed the release of it as a single in the United Kingdom. It wouldn't chart here until the 1970s. But it was released in the U.S. and of course got to #1 there! Despite the lack of release here, we did get it through the album 'Help!' and it has become a staple. In fact, it is one of the most covered songs of all time. A movie of the same name was released as recently as last year, where it depicts a world where The Beatles' music was erased from history. Congrats to 'Yesterday' for the silver medal!

01. Hey Jude (1968) / non-album single gold.gif
9/22 votes

So that's it, we've reached the end ohmy.gif 'Hey Jude' may have failed to win any of the Grammy Awards it was nominated for, but does get to be the champion of this survivor! It was a single back in 1968, with 'Revolution' as its B-side, as the first release on the Beatles' Apple Records label. It was a monster hit for the group - becoming the best selling single of 1968 in both the UK and the US. It peaked at #1 here for 2 weeks but spent a whopping 9 weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100, the joint most for any song at the time. In the U.K. it also held a temporary record, as it was the longest chart topper to date ('Hey Jude' is 7:11 in length) until Meat Loaf came along with 41 more seconds of 'I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)' in the 1990s. 'Hey Jude' was written by Paul McCartney as a song to comfort John Lennon's son Julian about the break-up of his parents' marriage. The original title was 'Hey Jules' but Paul tweaked it as he felt that 'Hey Jude' sounded better. It's an interesting song structurally as the coda is longer than the rest of the song! The famous "na na na na na na na" fade-out lasts for a whopping 4 minutes. The long outro of 'All You Need Is Love' clearly wasn't long enough - they really took the biscuit with this one! 'Hey Jude' was recorded during sessions for 'The White Album' while tensions were high in the band. But, the promotional clip for the song gives off the opposite impression. There's a real feeling of togetherness as The Beatles play this piano heavy stadium anthem and invite members of the audience to join them. 'Hey Jude' is loved all around the world and that extends to BuzzJack. Congratulations to 'Hey Jude' for beating off all competition as the best song on the '1' compilation!

Thank you to everyone for taking part in these survivor rounds! It's been a blast for the past 3 months or so heart.gif what do you make of the result?

FULL RESULTS:

01. Hey Jude | 9/22 votes
02. Yesterday | 13/22 votes
03. Eleanor Rigby | 7/18 votes
04. Let It Be | 7/19 votes
05. Ticket To Ride | 7/20 votes
06. Penny Lane | 5/17 votes
07. Hello, Goodbye | 8/17 votes
08. All You Need Is Love | 6/19 votes
09. Day Tripper | 5/16 votes
10. Help! | 5/18 votes

11. I Want To Hold Your Hand | 3/20 votes (original vote) / 6/15 votes (tie-break round)
12. Paperback Writer | 9/22 votes
13. We Can Work It Out | 5/17 votes
14. I Feel Fine | 8/18 votes
15. A Hard Day's Night | 5/20 votes
16. Can't Buy Me Love | 5/22 votes
17. Come Together | 4/19 votes
18. Something | 4/19 votes
19. Love Me Do | 4/18 votes
20. Yellow Submarine | 5/20 votes

21. Eight Days A Week | 5/17 votes
22. From Me To You | 4/21 votes (original vote) / 10/16 votes (tie-break round)
23. Get Back | 5/17 votes
24. The Long And Winding Road | 4/20 votes
25. She Loves You | 6/21 votes
26. Lady Madonna | 6/21 votes
27. The Ballad Of John And Yoko | 7/25 votes
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd January 2020, 06:53 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded

'Hey Jude' is a fantastic winner! I hope I will get the opportunity to hear Paul sing both this anthem and the runner-up 'Yesterday' live some day. 'Hey Jude's b-side 'Revolution' is a Beatles favourite for me too, what a 1-2 punch *.*

I actually received '1' on vinyl for Christmas, fitting to finally own it for the first time on any format after hosting this event wub.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 2nd January 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #3
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

'Hey Dude Jude' is definitely the correct winner for me, very glad to see it pulling through wub.gif I could honestly listen to the outro of it on repeat for hours and not get bored of it tbh. (Although Peter Kay's CIN medley has conditioned me to always expect it to suddenly break into 'One Day Like This' lol)

+Quote this post
Jester
post 2nd January 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

Thanks for this Jade! It’s a great top 3.

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 2nd January 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

Hey Jude was the only Beatles no.1 to make the final of my Ultimate UK No.1 poll so it's not a huge surprise to see it win this event as well. Thanks for doing this Jade.

Beatles fans can now vote for any of their five no.2 singles in my Ultimate no.2 poll in the UK Charts forum.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 2nd January 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

Thanks for doing this Jade! It's been a fun three months.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 2nd January 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Perfect winner there! A true classic. Runner-up's not too bad either!

Thanks very much for hosting Jade, loved the commentaries.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 2nd January 2020, 08:15 PM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 2nd January 2020, 08:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Fair winner, I do like it a lot, it always tops polls of their best songs and it is an iconic song so not a surprise. I just wish it hadn't become the default drunken singalong song at every live concert, it's tainted it somewhat. Yesterday is still a simple beautiful masterpiece.

Thank you for this Jade, I loved reading your commentaries in particular! (and I really need to get on with my own survivor now kink.gif)

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 2nd January 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961

It's also become a drunken singalong at T20 cricket matches when it's played in between overs.

+Quote this post
coi
post 2nd January 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Not surprised at all by the winner but Hey Jude is definitely one of their best, even if I would have preferred Yesterday to win!

Thanks for hosting this!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd January 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Thanks so much everyone heart.gif was a pleasure to write about my favourite band!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd January 2020, 10:01 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Yes thanks Hey Jade a worthy winner laugh.gif , and thanks for the for the fab commentaries Jade.

I hope you get to see Macca sing 'em live - I got to do that in the 80's at Wembley Arena, not too far from the front, and took my mum. He'd just started Hey Jude, the crowd stood up, tears welled in my eyes...and then a woman a few seats away passed out and rather ruined the mood! Overcome with emotion I think, she was OK, but the Na Na Na's didn't reach their full potential for me as a result. Doh!

+Quote this post
Jester
post 11th January 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon

So what’s the next survivor and who’s doing it?

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 11th January 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Maybe someone like Fleetwood Mac?

Oasis could be good also!

+Quote this post
Jester
post 11th January 2020, 09:54 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Oasis would be brilliant - is there a volunteer?

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 12th January 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Great winner but am I the only one who wishes it was just a minute shorter? Would be perfect then.

Thanks for hosting Jade.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:45 AM