BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Melodifestivalen 2020 / heat four / Malmö (22nd Feb)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Feb 19 2020, 10:41 PM
Post #1
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Such is the weirdness of this Melfest season that usual bringer of chaos Heat 3 produced, for what must be the first time in a decade, the two big pre-heat favourites qualified directly to the final. So who knows what this heat is about to bring us other than the annual hype of the "chosen one" who may or may not turn out to actually be the chosen one. So, for the final time this year, your rambling and high camp commentary about what we should expect to see this weekend.

1. Frida Öhrn - We Are One

Frida has spent her career thusfar as a sort of, serial group member, most notably indie band Oh Laura who had a big hit in 2007 with "Release Me" and most recently the group "Cookies'N'Beans" whomst your humble narrator may have described as a "Mums mates Dixie Chicks tribute" in 2013. But now, Frida is striking out on her own with an entry that is very on trend with this year's MF as one of two "country influenced arena pop" songs in this heat along with Dr Bergendahl from Heat 2. The reports are that this is bringing some high tempo and energy which is probably what snagged her the opening spot in this heat. So far we've had two direct qualifiers from the opening slot and one who unluckily found herself in too strong a heat to make it past firth so Frida's in with a shout of at least equalling her previous Andra Chansen placing from 2013 - can she make it a third direct qualifier from slot 1?

2. William Stridh - Molnjus

After placing fifth on Swedish Idol (yep the "Idol" franchise is still the dominant talent series in Sweden) William has...waited until now to release a debut single. That and the fact he's being shoved on in second place suggest that this probably isn't anything to write home about but maybe I could be wrong?

3. Nanne Grönvall - Carpool Karaoke

When returning to the Melfest arena as a "legacy act" you have a number of options before you, there's the Sonja och Bengtzing option of just keep on delivering the same kind of material you've always been doing and hope that that's enough, the Perelli och Kikki option of transitioning your material to what in the UK would be the "Radio 2" market, the Jessica Anderson option of being the luckiest Schlager boiler on earth and timing your returns to precisely the times when people are in the mood for you or what we're now about to christen "The Nanne option" where one essentially goes "F the scoreboard, lets just go crazy, throw everything at the wall and see if it sticks" which is nothing if not admirable in its honesty.

Ms Grönvall isn't here to get the ticket to Rotterdam or even really to compete for said ticket but she's earned the right to do whatever the hell she wants and if that's sing a song about James Corden on Swedish TV (jeez this keeps getting weirder) then y'all better sit down and respect your elders!

4. Victor Crone - Troubled Waters

Picture it. Tallin 2002.

Estonia are tasked with being the first post-Communist country to host Eurovision. Their entrant from 2000 has declined to enter with a top shelf pop track and the management company put in a call to their sister company in Sweden to get a pop singer who wouldn't mind essentially a bit of a work experience placement for two weeks to represent their submission in Eurolaul (this was before we had Eesti Laul). Enter one Anna Sahlene who, to everyone's surprise, wins the right to go to Eurovision as the host entry...for a different country...which I guess is maybe the ultimate goal of the Federal European Superstate and nobody outside of Estonia or Sweden even knows about this as the contest rolls around.

The next year, buoyed from her top five finish in Talinn, Sahlene decides to use this opportunity to its fullest and enters Melodifestivalen 2003 to represent her own country ...only to fail to even make Andra Chansen. Such a fate would befall her again in 2006 and again in 2009.

So, you see where there might be one or two historical parallels here. Although Victor has the benefit of Estonia having spent the last eighteen years being Sweden's adoring little brother as well as that classic "not having a vagina" privilege. Reviews seem to suggest this song is strong enough to make the top four in some way but to what extent may depend on how much of a taboo "singing for another country" is in Melodifestivalen.

5. Ellen Benediktson & Simon Peyron - Surface

Melfest 2014: The Re-Up is here.

Featuring surprise direct qualifier as an adored balladess turned ill fated electro sex kitten Ellen Benedikton and Lead singer of Heavy Metal band Outrigger who managed to be beaten by both Ace Wilder and Helena Paparizou in the same year in what may well be recorded as the last victory for Gay culture over straight culture in Melodifestivalen we've got a right old case of the "chemistry-free duet" on our hands here (and no shade to anyone who agrees to one, a girls gotta eat and, hey, worked out alright for song seven this week). This has been described as "electro musical theatre" which fills my heart with complete joy but the biggest joy of all is not knowing where on the boundaries of good taste this will fall. Maybe this is the stealth showstopper that's going to leave us all searching for our wigs this Saturday?

6. Jakob Karlberg - Om Du Tror Att Jag Saknar Dig

Sources confirm this is not, in fact, Anna Bergendahl's identically born AFAB brother after 1 year on T. This is actually a pop-rock singer who had a pretty big summer hit five years ago but who's struggled to get anywhere near that level of success in the mainstream charts. We're promissed something with high energy that even if it's not your vibe will still hopefully be a vaguely fun pallet cleanser before this week's main course...

7. Hanna Ferm - Brave

And we wrap up with Hanna Ferm who secured her place in Slot 28 of 2020 purely on the power of WANTING IT in her performance with Liamoo in what would eventually be the bronze medalist of Melfest 2019 so we know we're in safe hands in the SANGING stakes. Plus, all the indications so far have seemed to be that she's the one to beat this year and follow on from Robin, Benjamin and John in the "winning the year immediately after their debut" stakes. The early reviews however, indicate that this is not at all your safe and predictable "designed by committee" sophmore Melfest entry, I've seen allusions to the likes of Marina and the Diamonds, Ava Max and Nicola Roberts and the word "quirky" has been thrown about a lot. So maybe this is the one song we need to break through the predictably mainstream finalists we have so far this year.

If she should drop the ball somehow, then I think we've got one of the most competitively interesting Melodifestivalen finals in a long time!

-x-

Snippets drop tomorrow, the Genrep poll will be here on Friday and then after the live show on Saturday finishes, the embargo is lifted and all the studio versions of this year's songs will be available via your favourite streaming service (give or take a day or two for some to be available outside Sweden. And then we can obsessively watch every single popularity metric to work out what the Swedish public have responded to the most for a whole fortnight, as is the annual tradition!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 19 2020, 11:29 PM
Post #2
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I've got such a good feeling about Hanna, everything just feels like it's lining up! Comparisons to Marina is very interesting, I think a quirky song that hits right with vocals like hers could easily be the one.

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Feb 19 2020, 11:34 PM
Post #3
do you know who you are?
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Jakob Karlberg to slay and represent TARO Bellamia pls x

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 20 2020, 12:52 PM
Post #4
Brown cow, stunning!

Clips are here! Hanna is by far and away the best, it's not out and out YAAAAASS WINNER but it's definitely going to worm its way into my head and it does stand out for sure. I think it's Anna v Dotter though, I can't see it contending.

+Quote Post
Jerick
post Feb 20 2020, 01:06 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,716
   No Gallery Pics

I can't see that Hanna will take the throphy with this song, but it's by far the best song in this heat. But OMG I can't wait to see Nanne Grönvall, I hope it will be a rememberable moment haha

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 20 2020, 01:09 PM
Post #6
Brown cow, stunning!

Honestly the more I listen to Bulletproof, the more I think it's Dotter's to lose but then Anna has a lot of goodwill and I do love her redemption arc too.

+Quote Post
Aaron.
post Feb 20 2020, 02:04 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,245
   No Gallery Pics

I'd love for it to be between Dotter, Anna or Hanna. Hanna's song is great, but also something different from the rest of the 'big songs' so far. But having 3 lead women makes me wonder which boring male will win. Victor's song was very good.

Really dissatisfied with Ellen's entry. What was that.

+Quote Post
J🐠hq
post Feb 20 2020, 02:06 PM
Post #8
you're such a violent thing
Member No.: 8,674

I would love Dotter or Anna for two very different reasons. Dotter because “Bulletproof” is by far my favourite song out of the first three heats and her performance is totally Eurovision ready (unlike Anna, whose performance won’t look as impressive if she has to drop a couple of dancers in favour of backing singers), and how amazing would it be - who would’ve expected this after the way she crashed out two years ago.

Anna would be brilliant for the tension as we wait to see if she’s the 10th qualifier, only to find out that she’s brought shame on Sweden once more tongue.gif

I think Dotter is more likely to get the ticket out of them though, I just think that Anna could be held back more by the younger age groups and juries like last year

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Feb 20 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

Carpool Carrer-oake sounds like a lot of fun, classic iconic Nanne.

Dotter certainly feels like the biggest Eurovision hit Sweden have this year. Anna would Q this time but I’m not sure it would breach the top ten in the final, I adore it but it sounds very Sweden Melfest tailored hit but not especially like a European vote winner. Surprised she or Dotter weren’t given the pimp slot however.

Brave sounds good though.

Hard to have an opinion on the others on this heat based on the clips.

+Quote Post
RobBot
post Feb 22 2020, 01:46 AM
Post #10
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 7,117

Genrep poll:

To the final:

1. Hanna Ferm - Brave - 418 votes (42.3%)
2. Victor Crone - Troubled Waters - 182 (18.4%)

For the Second Chance:

3. Frida Öhrn - We Are One - 120 (12.1%)
4. Jakob Karlberg - If You Think I Miss You - 90 (9.1%)

Eliminated:

5. William Stridh - Cloud Light - 71 (7.2%)
6. Nanne Grönvall - Carpool Karaoke - 70 (7.1%)
7. Ellen Benediktson & Simon Peyron - Surface - 38 (3.8%)

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 22 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #11
Brown cow, stunning!

Oh wow come thru Hanna!!

+Quote Post
RobBot
post Feb 22 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #12
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 7,117

It’s got to be a woman’s year surely. Between Dotter, Anna and Hanna, if a man somehow manages to snatch this, I’ll be MAD.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 22 2020, 05:45 PM
Post #13
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

There definitely seems to be an appetite to change up the usual formula of the last few years - between Anna, Dotter and Hanna I can see it being very close in the final.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 22 2020, 07:09 PM
Post #14
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

All present and correct for Heat fyra!

+Quote Post
Aaron.
post Feb 22 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,245
   No Gallery Pics

This is awful

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Feb 22 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #16
do you know who you are?
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Song is a BOP but the vocals weren't all there oop

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 22 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #17
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Really enjoyed Frida, has that got a chance of a surprise DTF?

+Quote Post
tommie
post Feb 22 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 8,073
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, Frida wasn't great.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Feb 22 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

It's decent enough but she did strain through it. She's had better material in the past, Oh Laura's Release Me remains gorgeous.

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Feb 22 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #20
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Member No.: 11,955

Couldn't enjoy that as all the way through I thought it was Katie Hopkins on stage.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2020 - 07:16 AM