BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Tiger King, Netflix Documentary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
dandy*
post Mar 31 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
Is anyone watching this? It's absolutely insane to think some people are like this! The guy lives with 200+ wild cats and that's as much as I'm going to say... but suffice to say it's even more weird than that suggests.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Mar 31 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
Everybody on social is talking about this and I am not quiet there myself to start watching it.

Related to this or not one of the guy from this show apparently was in famous Britney's VMA performance of Slave 4 U!!!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/934...vmas-tiger-king

and then in another article says that Carole Baskin was sitting next to Britney in 2002 VMA show, not confirmed though.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post Mar 31 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043
Watched six episodes so only one left but I'm a bit speechless about it all tbh. Everyone on the show is absolutely batshit crazy!

Carole clearly murdered her husband tho laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Apr 1 2020, 12:58 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
It's so weird, but the ending was a bit... anti-climatic to me? They're all crazy. Every one of them laugh.gif

Those poor animals </3

I just really want to know what happened to Carole's husband lmao that's all.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Apr 1 2020, 11:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I’m 5 episodes in and it’s like the most bat s*** crazy thing I’ve seen.

You’d think it was a joke like you’d think no way is this real it’s got to be some sort of parody but it’s literally real. Some of it has me in hysterics. Joe the central “character” of who it’s about is so me me me and so deluded but he has me screaming at times. But the whole cast is bizarre. It’s like the American cast of the Jeremy Kyle show.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Apr 2 2020, 12:30 PM

+Quote this post
suggy
post Apr 2 2020, 11:38 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 85
Thoroughly enjoyed this, what a load of crazy people and Joe Exotic is more mental than anything, reminded me of a x3 BeetleJuice. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Apr 15 2020, 12:46 PM
Post #7
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
I watched this in full yesterday! Everyone is completely insane laugh.gif

It's hard to believe this sort of shit is still happening in the world let alone in the US! Honestly the fact that there are more tigers in captivity (a good portion of which are pets or bred purely for entertainment) in the US than there are in the wild is horrific. I feel like the memes coming out of this around Joe and Carole are overshadowing the actual impact the documentary was meant to have. I haven't seen anyone talk about supporting organisations related to animal captivity or protesting "free the tigers" online - I've literally just seen hundreds of people saying Carole Baskins killed her husband and it feels like no one cares about anything other than that?

The aftershow annoyed the hell out of me too. It came WAY too soon after the documentary ended, for one, so not much had really progressed since the end of filming, and it was hosted by a comedian who spent more time asking them stupid light-hearted questions about the nanny or how many leather jackets Jeff owns. I love Joel McHale really Community is one of my favourite comedies every but man they screwed up here. Any sort of feeling the documentary was supposed to leave you with at the end of the series is completely scrubbed away by Joel McHale immediately coming in with what looks like a HD zoom conference and asking who do you want to play you in the movie?

The series was entertaining for sure but a topic as important and horrifying as this should NOT have been portrayed like this. They make animal rights activists look like assholes the whole way through and conspiracies about Carole Baskins killing her husband, whether its true or not, did not belong in this. I think it was basically the main plot of the second or third episode which just instantly made everyone think "well Carole says she supports animal rights but shes a murderer so maybe Joe isn't in the wrong?". ugh

+Quote this post
p a v
post Apr 16 2020, 08:30 AM
Post #8
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
Let alone in the US? If anything US is THE country expected to have the biggest amount of such nutjobs.

I’m boycotting this series because it just looks stupid. Just a typical idiotic show made for entertainment with no regard to animals and their lives. The tigers are just props. When you make the series as ridiculous as this, no one would ever think about how animals are actually being treated. If it’s for entertainment- it’s okay. Netflix have really screwed up big time here on the moral side of things.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Apr 16 2020, 09:24 AM
Post #9
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
QUOTE(Infludexton* @ Apr 15 2020, 01:46 PM) *
I watched this in full yesterday! Everyone is completely insane laugh.gif

It's hard to believe this sort of shit is still happening in the world let alone in the US! Honestly the fact that there are more tigers in captivity (a good portion of which are pets or bred purely for entertainment) in the US than there are in the wild is horrific. I feel like the memes coming out of this around Joe and Carole are overshadowing the actual impact the documentary was meant to have. I haven't seen anyone talk about supporting organisations related to animal captivity or protesting "free the tigers" online - I've literally just seen hundreds of people saying Carole Baskins killed her husband and it feels like no one cares about anything other than that?

The aftershow annoyed the hell out of me too. It came WAY too soon after the documentary ended, for one, so not much had really progressed since the end of filming, and it was hosted by a comedian who spent more time asking them stupid light-hearted questions about the nanny or how many leather jackets Jeff owns. I love Joel McHale really Community is one of my favourite comedies every but man they screwed up here. Any sort of feeling the documentary was supposed to leave you with at the end of the series is completely scrubbed away by Joel McHale immediately coming in with what looks like a HD zoom conference and asking who do you want to play you in the movie?

The series was entertaining for sure but a topic as important and horrifying as this should NOT have been portrayed like this. They make animal rights activists look like assholes the whole way through and conspiracies about Carole Baskins killing her husband, whether its true or not, did not belong in this. I think it was basically the main plot of the second or third episode which just instantly made everyone think "well Carole says she supports animal rights but shes a murderer so maybe Joe isn't in the wrong?". ugh

Did you not watch the documentary? It portrayed everyone in a negative light at times. I actually think a lot of the people involved started out with good intentions, but then got corrupted along the way by fame, money and women in a lot of the cases.

The documentary was originally meant to be about the illegal reptile trade and then accidently it stumbled across Joe and got crazier and crazier from there. The documentary makers certainly without stating it believe Carole Baskins killed her husband and well who can't believe that? She clearly displays many psychotic tendancies throughout the documentary. Whether she or someone closed to her killed her husband is irrelevant- 100% she knows more than she is letting on. I think the idea around the Big Cat Society was it has good intentions, but it's also hypocritical as it also exploits volunteers and pays Carole a large salary while still maintaining a lot of the basic principles the other 'zoos' display!

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Apr 16 2020, 09:59 AM
Post #10
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
QUOTE(Rooney @ Apr 16 2020, 05:24 PM) *
Did you not watch the documentary? It portrayed everyone in a negative light at times. I actually think a lot of the people involved started out with good intentions, but then got corrupted along the way by fame, money and women in a lot of the cases.

The documentary was originally meant to be about the illegal reptile trade and then accidently it stumbled across Joe and got crazier and crazier from there. The documentary makers certainly without stating it believe Carole Baskins killed her husband and well who can't believe that? She clearly displays many psychotic tendancies throughout the documentary. Whether she or someone closed to her killed her husband is irrelevant- 100% she knows more than she is letting on. I think the idea around the Big Cat Society was it has good intentions, but it's also hypocritical as it also exploits volunteers and pays Carole a large salary while still maintaining a lot of the basic principles the other 'zoos' display!

Oh yeah I'm not arguing for Carole Baskins in any way! She's just as insane as everyone else in the documentary I would not be shocked if she did have a role in his disappearance, murder or not. I believe she did it. I agree re: the Big Cat Society too it's a hugely hypocritical zoo pretending to be rescuing animals for their own sake when in reality it's for her own benefit.

My problem is that the makers of documentary (and by publishing it, Netflix) appear to be making light of the big cat industry and portraying the entire scandal like a comedy. I realise with the cast of this series it was hard not to seem crazy but it feels like they just embraced the psychotic nature of all these people to have a tv hit. They uncover all these secrets of the trade sure, for example breeding tigers for cubs then gassing them at ~6 months because they stop making profit, but backdrop it against this absurd world of Joe Exotic. I'm riled up mainly because this issue means a lot to me and having a very popular documentary focus on the issue should be a great thing yet the main takeaway is 'Carole Baskins killed her husband'.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Apr 16 2020, 12:20 PM
Post #11
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
QUOTE(Infludexton* @ Apr 16 2020, 10:59 AM) *
Oh yeah I'm not arguing for Carole Baskins in any way! She's just as insane as everyone else in the documentary I would not be shocked if she did have a role in his disappearance, murder or not. I believe she did it. I agree re: the Big Cat Society too it's a hugely hypocritical zoo pretending to be rescuing animals for their own sake when in reality it's for her own benefit.

My problem is that the makers of documentary (and by publishing it, Netflix) appear to be making light of the big cat industry and portraying the entire scandal like a comedy. I realise with the cast of this series it was hard not to seem crazy but it feels like they just embraced the psychotic nature of all these people to have a tv hit. They uncover all these secrets of the trade sure, for example breeding tigers for cubs then gassing them at ~6 months because they stop making profit, but backdrop it against this absurd world of Joe Exotic. I'm riled up mainly because this issue means a lot to me and having a very popular documentary focus on the issue should be a great thing yet the main takeaway is 'Carole Baskins killed her husband'.

But look at the documentary in a different way - the only reason the documentary is so engrained on popular culture is because of Joe Exotic. If he was not involved, there would be no virality of the matter. The best documentaries are always those imo that take as much a neutral viewpoint as possible and leave the audience to make up their own minds. Would the world have known about the tiger trade and breeding if it was not for this documentary? Probably not. So while it's certainly quotable, it's also forced the issue in to the public eye.

I'm not sure it's really a scandal when most of things shown are perfectly legal in America. And while I don't doubt there is a shitload of illegal activity going on, I mean it was hinted at serverly, the documentary makers don't have proof and nor should they - they are filmmakers not judicial law enforcers. But I've no doubt the FBI are all over this trade in America now and even more so once Covid-19 has taken a backseat.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 16 2020, 12:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I've watched two episodes and it's certainly very intriguing, but I agree with most of the points above and so I'm not 100% sure on it. I'm just finding it genuinely uncomfortable for all these animals suffering clear abuse and how utterly abhorrently ran these places are and how they treat their employees, and yet a lot of them are apparently still going and are now enjoying celebrity status? :/ Again, I've not seen the whole thing so maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but I'm finding it difficult to see the entertaining side of a business so heinous.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:58 PM