BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artists' tactics to get a hit album/single~, are you for or against it?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofGhibli
post Mar 31 2020, 07:11 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

What are your stances on artists going to extreme measures to get the #1 or a hit?

Think about Bieber's tactics to get his fans streaming 'Yummy' / Dua offering every sort of incentive to get her album to #1 / 5SOS supporting a charity alongside sales of their album.

Do you think artists should be doing it? Does it make it a fair playing field? Discuss~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofGhibli
post Mar 31 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

My stance from the FCP thread:

Loads of artists do it now, with sales so low I can't blame them? And if it makes the album sales more healthy then I really don't care. I hope all of my faves are this desperate when they release and maximise sales as much as possible. I know if *I* was releasing music i'd do anything I could to make it work - who wouldn't?

I don't think we can be hypocritcal either. If we're upset at 5SOS doing it (for charity albeit), we can't really be encouraging Dua in the same breath - and then thinking back to Bieber and how aggressively against his tactics people were too.

I say, let them all do what they need to, to get as many sales as possible because without it sales would be even more dire than they're projecting to be.

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Mar 31 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #3
do you know who you are?
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Most of the time I don't find it a problem - I think it's great that so many artists are so keen to get a #1, it proves that the chart matters! It also keeps physical formats alive in one way or another, even through cassettes - my collection of those has probably tripled at least in the last couple of years, I love them as collectors items. Dua and 5SOS both have very affordable bundles too - I've got 6 editions of CALM and 4 of Future Nostalgia as a result...!

The only time I've REALLY raised an eyebrow was Bieber's guide on how to make Yummy a #1 - it was more than healthy competition, it was actually desperate and it just felt a little arrogant? Considering he and his team were reluctant to admit the song just wasn't good enough, otherwise he'd have cruised to #1.

The attitude on this site does seem to vary based on which artist is doing it, and this week is the best example with Dua being praised for very similar tactics that 5SOS are being slated for...!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Mar 31 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Mar 31 2020, 08:16 PM) *
The only time I've REALLY raised an eyebrow was Bieber's guide on how to make Yummy a #1 - it was more than healthy competition, it was actually desperate and it just felt a little arrogant? Considering he and his team were reluctant to admit the song just wasn't good enough, otherwise he'd have cruised to #1.

Agreed. It reeked of arrogance and delusion. As you say, it felt very much like Justin and his team refused to admit the song wasn't up to scratch - I remember a video he posted where it low key felt like he was blaming fans for not buying and streaming.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 5SOS or Dua Lipa releasing more formats and the like during the week. I do understand where people take issue with the thought that the current pandemic is seemingly being used as a promotional tool and I think "but it's for charity!!!1" is a very one-track view.

I think we need to alter our view of what the chart is meant to represent. Instead of it necessarily being a measurement of the amount of people an artist is reaching, it's a reflection of what or how much people are willing to consume.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Mar 31 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,155

It’s always been there it’s just that it’s moved from the singles chart to album chart - back in the day there would be CD1, CD2, DVD single, cassette etc., - all usually priced at £1.99 or 2 for £3. With the rise of streaming the same has now happened for albums with CDs and Cassettes used solely as a multi buy tool.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Mar 31 2020, 07:44 PM
Post #6
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 2

As the above post, I remember McFly and Busted trying to undo each other with all kinds of formats available.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Mar 31 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

a good chart battle is always interesting and I really like it when artists care about it like 5sos or Dua this week or like Ed/Lewis/Stormzy have shown recently

problem is when people take it too far like Bieber who even blackmailed fans, threating them that if Yummy didn't go to #1 he was gonna cancel his tour

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Mar 31 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

It is great when people's fave does it, it is clever and praised. When an artist you don't like does it it is desperate.

It doesn't bother me either way, I think the only time I've taken issue with it was Kylie just releasing another random coloured cassette every couple of months with Golden. I mean it is fair enough to put them all out at once on release but to keep doing it really does stink of chart manipulation.

+Quote Post
LJ JORD 7
post Mar 31 2020, 11:31 PM
Post #9
BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE ; BABYLON 🗡🦾
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 27,116
   No Gallery Pics

I’m a fan of it tbh.

Makes it more like the pre streaming days and can make things interesting.

I like the fact it can provoke competition and discussion.

Just imagine what this site would’ve been like had Gerry and Gaga still kept their release dates and a 5SOS and Dua situation happened!

+Quote Post
Bré
post Apr 1 2020, 12:32 AM
Post #10
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I think some level of 'tactics' to increase first week sales makes 100% sense and it's good as a chart fan to know that the charts are still taken seriously enough for artists/labels to want to do things like this. I agree with Joseph really that the one time it's gone over the line is Bieber with the 'Yummy' saga, it was just a new underhanded attempt to manipulate the numbers after another for a solid week, endorsing his fans to download VPNs to count to the US charts and stream the song on low volume while they sleep is just beyond pathetic, you can leave it to your fans to do stuff like that of their own accord, telling them to do it just isn't a good look. It's like an admission of failure that his song wasn't good enough to be a #1 on its own merits.

I've not really been a huge fan of artists that I do like, like Travis Scott and The Weeknd, using excessive bundling to push their stuff to #1 across the pond either, and I think to some extent it makes the achievement of 'HIGHEST IN THE ROOM' and 'Heartless' being #1 hits rather hollow and may backfire in the long run, but like... at least it does show that they have fans legitimately willing to buy the bundles lol ~

+Quote Post
tommie
post Apr 1 2020, 06:12 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 8,073
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Mar 31 2020, 07:41 PM) *
It’s always been there it’s just that it’s moved from the singles chart to album chart - back in the day there would be CD1, CD2, DVD single, cassette etc., - all usually priced at £1.99 or 2 for £3. With the rise of streaming the same has now happened for albums with CDs and Cassettes used solely as a multi buy tool.

Exactly. I will say that you usually got more bang for your buck with the multi single formats (remixes, b-sides etc), while a lot of the times it feels like the different album formats usually focuses on packaging. Still, no one is forcing anyone to buy those formats so where's the harm tbh.

This post has been edited by tommie: Apr 1 2020, 06:25 AM

+Quote Post
shadow2009
post Apr 1 2020, 11:12 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,059

I'm sorry but anyone buying multiple formats purely to boost a chart position is pathetic. laugh.gif Like, fair enough if you're someone who likes to collect them and genuinely are the type of person to buy multiple formats normally but if you're spending your hard earned money PURELY to help your favourite artist get a better chart position then I don't know what to say.

While we like to believe that it's a two way thing and artists love their fans as much as we love them, artists purely use the 'relatable' factor and any sort of contact with us (Instagram lives, meet and greets, signings, multiple format releases etc) purely to get our money and boost their success. Of course they might be generally nice people but at the end of the day we're complete strangers to them and I don't think any celebrity is ever comfortable with the hero worship/stalking/obsessing side of having a fanbase.

In a perfect world musicians would have the success that they so badly crave - sold out tours, #1 singles, platinum albums - with the ability to walk down the street or go to an airport without being mobbed or harassed by fans but unfortunately they have to be as personable and accessible as possible on social media and their media appearances to create an idea that fans are their best friends and they love meeting them etc so the fans will buy their records and promote them even more and buy their tickets in the hope that their efforts will be recognized and that one day they might get a Tweet back or a quick selfie outside a radio station they've stood at for hours on end at.

+Quote Post
AcerBen
post Apr 1 2020, 12:59 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,429
   No Gallery Pics

I don't mind when they do like a signed CD or a vinyl or one with a free 7" single or something like that, but when they're doing 5 different types of cassette (which mostly won't be listened to) I think it's taking the mick.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th July 2020 - 05:42 PM