BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
12 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mel B - 'Hot', 2000 • 1st Album
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Spice Girls Net
post 16th October 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #161
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

QUOTE(Jay* @ Oct 16 2020, 08:38 PM) *
I remember feeling a bit naughty listening to this song when I was 12... it is quite explicit laugh.gif

Even though the lyrics are quite feisty, sound-wise I feel like it's a bit generic / like another artist's cast off.

It's too American, I think. I don't think this album got Melanie's personality across as much as the other girl's debut albums.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 16th October 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #162
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Track 11: Feel Me Now

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 16th October 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #163
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Apart from Hotter, this is my favourite album track. I think this is more 'Mel B'. I always liked Melanie's whispery/talking vocals.

Melanie also did this on L.A. State of Mind, which I loved.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th October 2020, 07:43 PM
Post #164
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

It's a pity she didn't work with more British writers/producers and see if she could find a more authentic sound!

Feel Me Now... I've never been overly keen on this one. It's a bit like Janet Jackson cosplay, and I'm not convinced this sound particularly suits Mel. A bit of a downbeat moment to end the album on.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 16th October 2020, 07:45 PM
Post #165
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Thank you Jay for joining me biggrin.gif

20 years this week this album charted and Holler/Forever was around the corner. It does feel like a long time ago now cry.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th October 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #166
Group icon

Well, it was nice to revisit the album! I'm not even sure how long it's been since I last heard it in full; according to my Last.fm (which started in January 2012) the only album track I had scrobbled before tonight is Hotter ohmy.gif

Ultimately I think 'Hot' isn't as bad as some make it out to be, but it's not amazing either. I feel like she was half way towards a great album, but a handful of the tracks didn't suit her well. Like I said above, I think she needed more of a British vibe.

Thanks for hosting this Spice Girls Net, I enjoyed it wub.gif I'd be up for doing it again if anyone else is interested to. cool2.gif

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 16th October 2020, 08:04 PM
Post #167
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Jay* @ Oct 16 2020, 08:50 PM) *
Well, it was nice to revisit the album! I'm not even sure how long it's been since I last heard it in full; according to my Last.fm (which started in January 2012) the only album track I had scrobbled before tonight is Hotter ohmy.gif

Ultimately I think 'Hot' isn't as bad as some make it out to be, but it's not amazing either. I feel like she was half way towards a great album, but a handful of the tracks didn't suit her well. Like I said above, I think she needed more of a British vibe.

Thanks for hosting this Spice Girls Net, I enjoyed it wub.gif I'd be up for doing it again if anyone else is interested to. cool2.gif

Yes some of the names may have been 'Hot' but it didn't necessarily mean that they were right for the album.

Maybe some British collaborators would have better as you say.

This post has been edited by Spice Girls Net: 16th October 2020, 08:04 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 16th October 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #168
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Oh sorry I missed this, but ive been playing it all day, so it still counts wub.gif

Gotta say that I have been loving revisiting this album, even if some of it is really quite middle of the road...

Tell Me, Feels So Good and I Want You Back are still absolute bops! Hotter is a good song, I can see it as a single with a nice mix, but I dont think it would have worked really well with the general public and their awful taste cool.gif

Lullaby is wonderful and cute, but should have been just a b-side. ABC 123 and I Believe are the worst songs here, and I cant quite understand why they were included here as they feel really subpar, like they were unfinished thoughts thrown in...

Hell No is a nice ballad, but very forgettable. I think she could do much better if her mind was into it!

Pack Your Shit and Feel Me Now are great songs. Not amazing, but great anyway. I wish she had done more of these types of tracks, cos she could have found a bit of a niche with these as no-one else was doing them at the time.

Overall? a solid 5/10. It could have been amazing, but the producers really let it down. And the fact that Mel doesnt even write on most of the songs is very telling as to why this album seems like it was made for someone else - because it sounds like most of the songs are left overs from the producers...

Mel deserved better. Much better. I put her career as a solo artist on the same level of someone like Alesha Dixon. Both coming out of successful girl bands and were given some preliminary great solo material, but ultimately then failed to mantain the level of quality and interest. And that, my dears, is how racism in the UK industry works. Most black pop stars (solo or group) face similar faiths in the UK, over and over again...

Here's to HOT and the album that it could have been!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 16th October 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #169
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Sorry I missed this completely forgot after been so ready yesterday!!!

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 16th October 2020, 11:49 PM
Post #170
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

What does everyone think about this leaked track from Hot? It was written by Mel B & Biff Standard.

There's another 2 unreleased songs on publishing sites. Both written by Mel B & Biff. They are called Rush and Miss Me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wByw0XTpc

This post has been edited by Sideout: 16th October 2020, 11:51 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 17th October 2020, 07:57 AM
Post #171
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Sideout @ Oct 17 2020, 12:49 AM) *
What does everyone think about this leaked track from Hot? It was written by Mel B & Biff Standard.

There's another 2 unreleased songs on publishing sites. Both written by Mel B & Biff. They are called Rush and Miss Me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wByw0XTpc

Oh I never knew about Rush and Miss Me (prays for a leak, gosh knows we need some new old music from Mel B teresa.gif )

I got My Eye On You could have been a good song for the album, with better production. Wasnt it supposed to be released at some point? And do we know why it wasnt?

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 17th October 2020, 07:57 AM

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 17th October 2020, 08:03 AM
Post #172
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

I really like I Believe and I always see it getting hated on. My sister only has a passing interest in spice girls music through me and she loves it and wouldn't touch the rest of Mel Bs solo music with a barge pole.

Until I read others opinions on it I assumed it would have been one of those renowned album tracks.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 5th December 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #173
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Just bought the Feels So Good 12" vinyl and WOW at the Blacksmith remix that includes the rapper Know ?uestion

It is basically a whole new song and I LOVE IT! Never knew it was even a thing blink.gif

What do you think about it? In a parallel world, this would have gone down really well as a single to launch a Hot special delux edition in 2001 teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Piers
post 5th December 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #174
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Dec 5 2020, 08:47 AM) *
Just bought the Feels So Good 12" vinyl and WOW at the Blacksmith remix that includes the rapper Know ?uestion

It is basically a whole new song and I LOVE IT! Never knew it was even a thing blink.gif

What do you think about it? In a parallel world, this would have gone down really well as a single to launch a Hot special delux edition in 2001 teresa.gif

Oh wow. I haven't heard this before either. I like the remix...and it's a reminder this was a really good song that was pretty open to interpretations. I'm not opposed to a rap on this remix, though I don't love the lyrics of this one. It kinda follows Sophisticated Lady, Pack Your Shit, and ABC123 as songs by major producers...with a no-name featured on it.

As for I've Got My Eye On You...what we've heard is definitely a demo, but I do like it. It has that Scary Spice vibe of several of her early solo recordings. I wish she'd kept it as its so clearly a Mel B song...unlike more generic "this could be by anybody" stuff like Hell No and ABC123. It seems Hot went on a fairly similar trajectory to Forever. Both times, she worked with the group's original collaborators...only to dump the material in favor of American producers...though the Darkchild team still produced one song written from the British sessions (Lullaby for Hot...Right Back At Ya for Forever)

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 5th December 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #175
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Piers @ Dec 5 2020, 06:22 PM) *
Oh wow. I haven't heard this before either. I like the remix...and it's a reminder this was a really good song that was pretty open to interpretations. I'm not opposed to a rap on this remix, though I don't love the lyrics of this one. It kinda follows Sophisticated Lady, Pack Your Shit, and ABC123 as songs by major producers...with a no-name featured on it.

As for I've Got My Eye On You...what we've heard is definitely a demo, but I do like it. It has that Scary Spice vibe of several of her early solo recordings. I wish she'd kept it as its so clearly a Mel B song...unlike more generic "this could be by anybody" stuff like Hell No and ABC123. It seems Hot went on a fairly similar trajectory to Forever. Both times, she worked with the group's original collaborators...only to dump the material in favor of American producers...though the Darkchild team still produced one song written from the British sessions (Lullaby for Hot...Right Back At Ya for Forever)

I feel like this version of Feels So Good, with a better rapper would have been incredible and a potential single. And yes, I agree with you.

Do we know who wrote/produced Ive Got My Eye On You?

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 19th February 2021, 08:55 PM
Post #176
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Happy Birthday, Feels So Good

Released 20 years ago today! cheer.gif

UK Peak - #5
Total sales - 145,433 (as of May 2020)

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 19th February 2021, 09:17 PM
Post #177
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Feels so good deserves to be silver.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 20th February 2021, 08:19 PM
Post #178
Group icon

Ooh wow, 20 years since Feels So Good! Mel B's final experience of achieving a Top 5 hit cry.gif

I love the song and video, it's such a good package and I think it deserved more success than it got tbh. My only criticism about the radio edit is the sudden cut, it sounds sloppy... "that is how it's got to be-" *instrumental*... I think they should have kept the ad-lib from the album version.

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post 19th July 2021, 06:37 PM
Post #179
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611

On mne magazine Melanie declared:

She said: “[He] was tough to work with. He had a pretty bad attitude and seemed to have decided that I’d be a pop star Spice w*n**r before he’d even met me. This made for some pretty uncomfortable times, but luckily, the team around him were very professional and we ended up with great tracks from the sessions.”

Someone knows more about it?

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 19th July 2021, 06:52 PM
Post #180
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

QUOTE(Babyboy @ Jul 19 2021, 11:37 AM) *
On mne magazine Melanie declared:

She said: “[He] was tough to work with. He had a pretty bad attitude and seemed to have decided that I’d be a pop star Spice w*n**r before he’d even met me. This made for some pretty uncomfortable times, but luckily, the team around him were very professional and we ended up with great tracks from the sessions.”

Someone knows more about it?

She's talking about the producer Teddy Riley.

+Quote this post

12 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd June 2024, 07:06 AM