BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midweeks, A Question.....
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
What Midweek info would you prefer
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 65
Guests cannot vote 
Gezza
post Apr 18 2020, 03:09 PM
Post #1
Ciao, 911? E 'Quagmire. Sž, Ť preso nella finestra di questo
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 13,341
   No Gallery Pics

So I was looking over old midweeks and I started to wonder the question.....

Would you prefer it if we didn't have midweeks anymore?
Would it add to the enjoyment of the chart on a Friday?

We never really had midweek info (for the general public) until the late 90s and it made the actual chart on a Sunday very nerve racking for us oldies biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jason
post Apr 18 2020, 03:12 PM
Post #2
And you want me to change? F*ck you!
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,149

The more information the better. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Apr 18 2020, 03:16 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Agreed^ if you don't want to spoil the show on Friday then don't view the Predictions thread.

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Apr 18 2020, 03:20 PM
Post #4
do you know who you are?
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

I mean, I get to see more than what's posted on here but I voted more! From the perspective of hosting the chart show thread, the more information I've got, the smoother the preparation and hosting is laugh.gif

+Quote Post
coi
post Apr 18 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

The thing is, the tension of not knowing how the chart will look before you listen to the show is harder and harder to recreate in today's climate with so much data freely available through iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music etc.

Even if we weren't given official midweeks, we'd probably still get a good idea of what the chart would look like. The midweeks just make it easier, and removing them probably wouldn't come close to bringing back the excitement that previous generations would have had. The only way of potentially achieving that would be to not look at any of those charts (the iTunes/Spotify charts, or the official midweek updates) during the week, which is something that can already be done if you want to laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gezza
post Apr 18 2020, 03:30 PM
Post #6
Ciao, 911? E 'Quagmire. Sž, Ť preso nella finestra di questo
Member No.: 13,341
   No Gallery Pics

Oh I agree practically speaking it's handy- but I also think it really diminishes the excitement of the chart- so I suppose I'm saying if the info dried up tomorrow sure it would make the prep for the chart a bit harder (but then it's relatively static these days so we don't have 15 or so new entries every week like back in 2000-05 etc) but overall would it rekindle interest in the charts (assuming that the turnover also improved)?

Ultimately it's a theoretic question as the info is difficult to avoid esp if you're a chart fan.....

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Apr 18 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

This topic got me thinking...

Speaking as if I was someone who had never visited this website and just listened to the 2 chart shows on R1 (basically my pre-2013 days) I wouldn't have a f***ing clue what was going on. Like why 8/9 week #1s suddenly dropped outside the top 10, why long-running top 10s drop 20 places in a week then re-stabilise, why I Don't Care went 2-OUT-3 or whatever it was. I was be absolutely loving the unpredictability of it all laugh.gif

BUT as they say, knowledge is power. So I've never turned back on the midweek & extra info garnered from this here resource cool2.gif

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Apr 18 2020, 03:44 PM
Post #8
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 2

In my view no midweeks at all, but it got me thinking we could limit them to 2 days per week, if the demand is needed, obviously OCC will reveal it on a Monday, we could add Tues and Weds, pending if we had any chart info, and no mids on Thursday which will make the chart show more exciting to listen to.

As for the sales rip, that's got a lot easier, I think 2 chart mods can agree on that laugh.gif I do miss the sales reports from Alan Jones. sob.gif

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Apr 18 2020, 03:45 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

The more info the better is my choice.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Apr 18 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #10
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I couldnít care less these days but I probably would have wanted all the info 10 years or more ago. I do remember not having it, itís wasnít until about 2004 I was following it and the charts were exciting when you didnít know what was going to happen. However, I donít think removing the midweeks would make todayís charts anymore exciting. Having the midweek info is not the problem.

+Quote Post
RabbitFurCoat
post Apr 18 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #11
You brought the sun to guide you through
Member No.: 118
   No Gallery Pics

2004 was when I first discovered there was such a thing as midweek charts that get published and they were much more exciting back then. As the consumption methods of music has changed over time they have become less interesting as the information about what is being consumed is more freely available, certainly for singles. The albums I still take an interest in if there's something been released that I'm interested in released.

To answer the actual questions, the level of information that's seen is absolutely fine.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 18 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(Leanne 🧘🏻‍ @ Apr 18 2020, 04:48 PM) *
However, I donít think removing the midweeks would make todayís charts anymore exciting. Having the midweek info is not the problem.

This is where I stand too. If anything it makes the charts that bit more exciting for chart fans if there's a race for number one, i.e. Dua vs. 5SOS in the albums.

+Quote Post
coi
post Apr 18 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Apr 18 2020, 04:36 PM) *
This topic got me thinking...

Speaking as if I was someone who had never visited this website and just listened to the 2 chart shows on R1 (basically my pre-2013 days) I wouldn't have a f***ing clue what was going on. Like why 8/9 week #1s suddenly dropped outside the top 10, why long-running top 10s drop 20 places in a week then re-stabilise, why I Don't Care went 2-OUT-3 or whatever it was. I was be absolutely loving the unpredictability of it all laugh.gif

BUT as they say, knowledge is power. So I've never turned back on the midweek & extra info garnered from this here resource cool2.gif

I only joined this site in 2018, about a year after ACR was introduced (I did know about that though because of the OCC articles on it), so trying to guess which week a song went to ACR was quite fun biggrin.gif but yes I definitely prefer having the info available!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Apr 18 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

In terms of the chart being exciting, having no midweeks was infinitely better because you didn't really know what to expect. I remember being particularly gobsmacked when Mark Snow went in at #2 with the X Files as, even though I'd bought it as a fan, I'd assumed it was pretty niche and never even expected it to make the top 40.

But these days I'm happy to just have midweeks and not really follow the actual chart show itself at all. Basically the first set of mids are essentially the chart show moment for me.

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Apr 18 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 18 2020, 04:57 PM) *
This is where I stand too. If anything it makes the charts that bit more exciting for chart fans if there's a race for number one, i.e. Dua vs. 5SOS in the albums.

Def agree.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Apr 20 2020, 02:25 AM
Post #16
We'll get through it
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Yeah, as we've seen just recently, having the midweek info can make certain chart battles even more exciting if they remain close the entire week! Otherwise, the only way to have genuine surprises in the chart is to somehow avoid all chart info through the week...but since the info is there, it's a temptation I can't resist tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Everton
post Apr 20 2020, 06:43 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 33,062
   No Gallery Pics

We do get top 20 on radio 1 Sunday official chart on Monday. Find out any how what happened. Then helps with buzzjack rest week Wednesday music week use put it up free news article there stop it. And cause buzzjack get info before haven fourm there copy over from here some days. More info better for me

+Quote Post
davidas
post Apr 20 2020, 09:24 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 70,067
   No Gallery Pics

The level of info we have now is great smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2020 - 10:10 AM