BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)
If you have forgotten your password and a recovery email has not arrived, please click here to send us an email.

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Body Language ● album discussion, 9th album ● 2003
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 12th April 2024, 01:12 PM
Post #261
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

^ I really hope so!

154,431 sales, on what I assume was Friday 26th July 2019... if it was on 199,999 sales today, 246 weeks later, that would work out at about 185 sales a week on average. Rather low! sad.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 12th April 2024, 01:43 PM
Post #262
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Didn’t realize it was that low in 2019 drama.gif Sales were really in the pits when it was released and seemingly the streaming era has done hardly anything for it even with a new GH being released cry.gif

#JusticeForSlow

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th April 2024, 03:26 PM
Post #263
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I remember it didn't even sell 100k in its initial run sad.gif

+Quote this post
Red Blooded Man
post 12th April 2024, 06:22 PM
Post #264
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 822

To be honest, when "Slow" was released, it divided fans as much as when 2H was released so it might put off some casual fans.

Speaking of "Slow", Dua Lipa released her new video and it's basically a tribute to "Slow" and ATL.

This post has been edited by Red Blooded Man: 12th April 2024, 06:29 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 12th April 2024, 06:32 PM
Post #265
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Slow has been given plenty of exposure from kylie over the years but it never really helped sales, hopefully it can make silver.
Incredible that dancing has sold more which only made low top 40 but I know it's a different era in the music industry.

+Quote this post
SmileyKylie
post 13th April 2024, 02:52 PM
Post #266
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,515

Vinyl down to £28 on Amazon
think i will a little longer for a price drop

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 13th April 2024, 04:47 PM
Post #267
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

^^ Pretty sure with ‘Fever’ it took a year or so to reach the £20 mark (it was on offer recently for £11), BL might start to fall in price more quickly though as I can’t imagine there being any demand for it outside of week 1.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th April 2024, 06:26 PM
Post #268
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Apr 12 2024, 02:12 PM) *
^ I really hope so!

154,431 sales, on what I assume was Friday 26th July 2019... if it was on 199,999 sales today, 246 weeks later, that would work out at about 185 sales a week on average. Rather low! sad.gif

I don't think it can be far away from Silver now. It placed just behind 'I Believe in You' on Kylie's top streamed songs list revealed last year and that was averaging 151 sales a week between the updates we received for it in 2019 and 2020. It's the first thing I look for when the BPI update their certifications each week! laugh.gif

When you look at the other #1 singles that haven't been certified or have only been certified in recent years, 'Slow' definitely feels like an outlier. Kylie has shown a lot of love for it over the years and it doesn't seem like it's completely disappeared from public consciousness (but maybe I'm showing a bias there).

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th April 2024, 06:52 PM
Post #269
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Mar 22 2024, 08:20 PM) *
I listened to my copy of the Body Language vinyl, earlier today!

I have a bad habit of buying vinyl and then not actually getting around to playing them (more so older albums, rather than new ones)! However, the discussions about faulty copies made me feel like I ought to listen to it, to make sure that mine was okay. Fortunately my copy has no problems at all which is a relief; I hope others who had skipping copies are able to replace them with ones that play fine. cry.gif

So, Body Language... I haven't listened to it in full in years. I truly wouldn't be surprised if the last time I played it from start to finish was actually in 2004! laugh.gif I know I listened to it a fair few times in 2003/4 though. Since then, I think it's only been a case of hearing songs in isolation if they came up during an iTunes shuffle.

Looking at the track list today, there were many songs that I couldn't remember how they went purely based on title. So I was curious to find out if I did remember the songs when playing them, and to see how I feel about them now.

I guess those 2003/4 listens dug deep into my brain, because I did remember hooks from most of the tracks after all.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the album. I've noticed a lot of fans aren't keen on it, so reading these assessments probably had an effect on me in feeling like it wasn't an album to bother revisiting, over the years. However there's some good stuff to be found on there though!

I'm not going to say the album is packed full of career highlights, and yes the sound was an unexpected pivot following on from Fever. But putting aside expectations from two decades ago, I think it stands nicely as a perfectly enjoyable and listenable album, and has a unique vibe to it amongst her back catalogue. I mean, it would surely get a bit boring if every album was more of the same.

I think there was only three songs I'd probably not be in a rush to return to. Those being 'I Feel for You' (quirky, but with a grating sound to it), 'Someday' (I felt like this track dragged) and 'After Dark' (decent, but surely in a B Side way, not album closer).

Otherwise I had no real problems with any of the other album tracks, I think they vary from ok to great. 'Loving Days' in particular was a lovely surprise - this was actually one of the few tracks I couldn't recall at all even while listening to it, so I'm glad it's something of a discovery for me and I'll have to pay more attention to it from now on.

Been meaning to respond to this for ages - I pretty much agree with everything you've said here! I too am guilty of buying vinyl of older albums and not listening to them for ages! laugh.gif The album isn't ever going to be one of Kylie's top tier albums but there's a lot to love here and I have the same three songs as you that I'd consider weaker than the rest. 'After Dark' is such an odd choice for album closer, it just leaves me thinking "is that really the end?". I like the idea of having 'Slo Motion' closing the album after having 'Slow' open it, or even have 'On the Up' as a fun, 'Fever'-esque moment to complete the album.

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 13th April 2024, 06:52 PM
Post #270
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Slow definitely feels like an outlier and in many ways i am surprised by how poor it has sold but maybe its because i class it much bigger in my head due to it been Kylies last number 1 single. I just think with it appearing on a few performances and also the SBIT release its picking up so little sales and it does seem to be a song that is well liked generally speaking.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 13th April 2024, 07:32 PM
Post #271
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I always say it ‘After Dark’ feels like a IP track - I LOVE it but agree it doesn’t fit the album especially as a closer.

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 13th April 2024, 07:52 PM
Post #272
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I would agree about after dark would feel more at home on IP and it definitely didnt work as a closer for the album either. Its also a pitty they didnt have a couple of tracks on the lines of slow on the album, i think the main problem i have with body language is many of the songs lack heir own identity and it all mushes into one when listening to it not that i listen to the album much since its release.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th April 2024, 09:22 PM
Post #273
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I don’t think it sounds like an Impossible Princess song either. It’s very B-side material and too under baked to have its own identity to a certain album. Especially disappointing knowing it’s a Cathy Dennis co-write.

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 14th April 2024, 09:35 AM
Post #274
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I'd like to see Cathy and kylie team up again to see what they come up.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th April 2024, 10:05 AM
Post #275
Group icon

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 13 2024, 07:52 PM) *
Been meaning to respond to this for ages - I pretty much agree with everything you've said here! I too am guilty of buying vinyl of older albums and not listening to them for ages! laugh.gif The album isn't ever going to be one of Kylie's top tier albums but there's a lot to love here and I have the same three songs as you that I'd consider weaker than the rest. 'After Dark' is such an odd choice for album closer, it just leaves me thinking "is that really the end?". I like the idea of having 'Slo Motion' closing the album after having 'Slow' open it, or even have 'On the Up' as a fun, 'Fever'-esque moment to complete the album.

wub.gif

Funnily enough I only heard 'On the Up' for the first time ever on the same day that I listened to the Body Language vinyl, because a friend mentioned it to me. What a bop! For me that song sounds like it could have suited being "1st single from Fever: Deluxe Reissue" - if she'd actually promoted a re-release with a new song. Although I know this belongs to early Body Language sessions, it definitely has that Fever DNA to it.

I'm not familiar with the bonus tracks Cruise Control, You Make Me Feel & Slo Motion, I'll have to check those out!

+Quote this post
Padamic_Tension
post 14th April 2024, 01:34 PM
Post #276
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Like a few kylie albums songs were left off that were actually better than songs on the album. On the up is one of those songs and while it doesn't fit the album I would have liked more of that sound rather than what we got. A few months back I was revisiting body language and kiss me once to try and give them more of a chance and my overall opinion didn't change in that both are her weakest albums but I think I slightly prefer kiss me once now than body language which I never thought I'd say as I always struggled to like kiss me once.
Body language killed off the massive momentum she had built up to that point which was disappointing and kiss me once was the album I felt we saw kylie struggling to figure out where kylie wanted to be in the market.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 15th April 2024, 01:48 PM
Post #277
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

From SH FB -

For those awaiting the black body language vinyl from Warner aus (Inc. myself) latest update from them is release “some point mid May”

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 16th April 2024, 10:57 AM
Post #278
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Now available to order in the UK and is released on Friday!

https://stripjointglasgow.co.uk/product/kyl...ry-black-vinyl/

Picture from SH -

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th April 2024, 11:13 AM
Post #279
Group icon

I do really like the red vinyl, but standard black suits the overall aesthetic well. I don't think I need to buy another copy though. kink.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 16th April 2024, 11:52 AM
Post #280
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I still say they shiuld've done an Othello vinyl like this:

+Quote this post

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >