BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, is confirmed! yay!!!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post May 15 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

and with this announcement I come full circle as Spock, Number One and Captain Pike arrive for a new series 53 years since they debuted as the back-story for the original Trek, so it leads directly into that show, short of them ever doing a "Young Kirk" Star Trek series. So, 3 current great Trek shows, so many super-hero TV shows, not to mention big blockbuster movies.

12-year-old-me just exploded with excitement in an alternate universe where he just got a glimpse of all this through a timewarp.... ohmy.gif laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post May 15 2020, 04:58 PM
Post #2
brinty, bitch
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Intrigued. I'm watching TNG for the first time right now off the back of Discovery & Picard

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post May 15 2020, 06:47 PM
Post #3
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 2

I'm already waiting for it.

Discovery Season 3 will begin shooting next month apparently, I think we are heading for the Season 3 to be released in early 2021

And for Star Trek Memorabilia

Royal Mail are releasing a stamp set for December to mark 100 years of Gene Roddenberry, so I'm guessing the Captain and the crew of each Star Trek series with Starships and a space station depicted across 12 stamps, I'm so excited cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post May 16 2020, 07:22 AM
Post #4
welcome to the mountaintop
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

oh my god another one!

To be honest, when I finally catch up to modern Trek in my ever ongoing chronological Trek watch (currently simultaneously on DS9/Voyager/Enterprise, I moved the latter up a couple of seasons so I didn't have only Voyager once I was done with DS9) I'll get through Discovery and Picard relatively quickly so I'm interested in more stuff like that, and hopefully it'll produce a few classic Trek episodes.

QUOTE(J00psyMethyd @ May 15 2020, 04:58 PM) *
Intrigued. I'm watching TNG for the first time right now off the back of Discovery & Picard

Any good highlights you've found so far? TNG has such a good exploratory vibe that's really hard to properly replicate in other shows.

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post May 16 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #5
brinty, bitch
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Izzy @ May 16 2020, 08:22 AM) *
Any good highlights you've found so far? TNG has such a good exploratory vibe that's really hard to properly replicate in other shows.

I didn't realise it started in the 80s! The throwback vibe was confusing me laugh.gif

It's still coming together, I'm only on season 2. Data seems to be the breakout star of the cast so far. They've just replaced the doctor - although I believe the original one comes back - and the dynamic is a bit off, but this season seems a lot stronger. Gender dynamic feels a bit off since a certain prominent character was killed off and the remaining two don't seem to have a lot to do currently.

What's really been striking to me as a tv fan is how OLD Picard is to be a lead. Patrick Stewart was late 40s in the first season and is THE central character of the ensemble - you don't get that in many shows!

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post May 16 2020, 11:45 AM
Post #6
welcome to the mountaintop
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J00psyMethyd @ May 16 2020, 11:08 AM) *
I didn't realise it started in the 80s! The throwback vibe was confusing me laugh.gif

It's still coming together, I'm only on season 2. Data seems to be the breakout star of the cast so far. They've just replaced the doctor - although I believe the original one comes back - and the dynamic is a bit off, but this season seems a lot stronger. Gender dynamic feels a bit off since a certain prominent character was killed off and the remaining two don't seem to have a lot to do currently.

What's really been striking to me as a tv fan is how OLD Picard is to be a lead. Patrick Stewart was late 40s in the first season and is THE central character of the ensemble - you don't get that in many shows!

Oh yes, that's part of what I love about it. There's a number of episodes, some among my TNG favourites, in the first 3 seasons where the Federation-Romulan interactions are pretty clearly supposed to be an analogue of latter-day USA-Soviet relations.

The first two seasons are very famously shaky, with an slight improvement in s2 and a significant improvement in s3, so sounds like you've gotten past the hard bit - though three of my favourite TNG episodes, Where Silence Has Lease, The Measure Of A Man and Q Who are in s2 so there's some great stuff in there.

Yes, and even then it seems like he's barely aged in the thirty years since. I think part of how I love him so much is exactly that, how unusual he seems as a lead, this diplomatic and reserved man who's more of a distant, cerebral leader, helped by having Riker anytime the show needs more of a traditional action lead.

+Quote Post
Severin
post May 16 2020, 03:37 PM
Post #7
Mansonette
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

If you haven't noticed it already, pay attention to how Riker sits down. Once seen you can't ignore it.

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post May 16 2020, 10:35 PM
Post #8
brinty, bitch
   No Gallery Pics

I can honestly say Riker almost singlehandedlt got me through season 1 :')

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th March 2021 - 03:59 PM