BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Which of these should have been the 4th Light Years single?, 5 scrapped choices
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which of these would you have liked?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
Nina West
post Aug 24 2020, 08:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
This topic is sure to get you Kylie fans debating. Just a little poll including 5 tracks from Kylie's 7th studio album Light Years that were in the running to be the album's 4th single. There turned out to be 5 possible choices that were in the running before "Please Stay" got chosen, which at the time I remember a lot of fans weren't very pleased about as many felt (including myself) that there were far stronger choices, namely these 5 tracks, each of which are very strong & standout moments on the album in their own ways. To put it simply what would have been your choice, with 2 polls in which to pick your fave & least fave choice?

Below I've included the YouTube videos, commentaries as well as some fan-made covers (although I will be using the official ones for 'Butterfly' & 'Your Disco Needs You')

Butterfly

Considered at one point as a possible lead single but was pushed aside in favour of ‘Spinning Around’. Then was in the running to be the 4th single, but due to its strong club influences, it was pulled in favour of the radio friendly “Please Stay”.

Disco Down

A fan favourite from the album. Briefly considered for release as a possible 4th single in Australia. Which her label over there ‘Mushroom Records’ really wanted it released but were persuaded against it.

Light Years

Another track that was in consideration for release as the 4th single with remixes commissioned, but all plans were discarded when it was ultimately decided that “Please Stay” would be released instead.

Under the Influence of Love

After Kylie's A&R opposed the idea of going with strong standout tracks for release in favor of safe radio friendly choices, "Under the Influence of Love" was picked as the follow up single to "Kids"; Kylie recorded radio intros for the track announcing it as her new single during the Light Years promo interview, it was also included on a Parlophone release plan, but it was scrapped going with "Please Stay" instead.

Your Disco Needs You

The lack of a UK single release for the track caused controversy among fans there[2] and sparked protests outside her UK record company lobbying for this to happen. When considering the fourth single to be released from Light Years, Kylie's record label chose the Latin sounding "Please Stay" instead of "Your Disco Needs You", due to the song's campness and to avoid Kylie being further stereotyped.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 24 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Tremendous songs and all five I hold with high regard.
I strongly felt Disco Down was the ideal release instead of Please Stay.
I love Your Disco Needs You but I think how the label handled the song was correct.
It's sales are impressive for an album track.
I prefer these five choices to all the singles released from Light Years.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 24 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
These days I feel like 'Disco Down' would have made a better single, 'Please Stay' really has gone down as one of her most forgotten/nonentity singles. 'You Disco Needs You' could have been a very easy top 10 hit too.

Worst probably 'Under The Influence of Love', although I have been majorly obsessed with that recently.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 24 2020, 11:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I don't think any of the five would have performed any less than Please Stay.
Due to the time of release (Please Stay) Under the Influence or Disco Down would have been better choices.
Based on the fifth single following Please Stay they all could have become a hit.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 24 2020, 11:39 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Disco down and butterfly.
Hard picking a worst as such as they are all brill but butterfly would prob have been the weakest choice for a single. Ideally disco down and under the influence would have been a double single instead of please stay/ santa baby and although I'm not a huge santa baby fan nothing would have come close the sales it has now but might have been a bigger hit at the time. It's strange that santa baby will prob go on to outsell all the actual light years singles by mid January. I like that santa baby brings kylie back to the top 75.
The songs here show what a brill album light years is, I listen to all these more than many of her singles from the different albums.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 25 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
With promotion and physical CDs Kylie could have stretched another Top 10 hit from Light Years.
Please Stay was weaker than these songs and managed Top 10 status.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 25 2020, 01:00 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Break the tension
She must have started working solidly on Fever from the start of 2001 though.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 25 2020, 02:02 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Ya i think some said that she had started working on Fever and she wouldnt have had the time to promote a 5th light years single, the plan did work really as light years had 4 top 10 singles which she didnt have for years and then fever came with a bang and was even a bigger success. Both albums def had the material to give 5th singles though and still be strong.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 26 2020, 12:27 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The strength of the material during both periods was colossal and the label missed out on not pushing deluxe albums for both.
The musical journey since the release of Light Years is impressive, varied, unique and always Kylie.

This post has been edited by pippa: Aug 26 2020, 12:33 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 26 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Hard to believe that up to light years that kylie had only about 50% of her albums released, its a mixed collection since then as i dont hold body language, christmas and kiss me once in high regard but i hold light years, fever, aphrodite, x, and golden in high regard and hopefully disco. As fans we are lucky as she also had some amazing albums before light years. Kylies career in music comes in 3 sections for me, pwl, de con and then light years to now and all 3 have some stellar songs in them highlighting the variety in her output over the years.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 26 2020, 02:47 PM
Post #11
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Honestly think "Butterfly" could have worked, its full of life & vitality, a high electro-dance number which shows a different side to an already iconic album. Imagine what a music video could have looked like, in fact the same goes for all the other tracks 'Disco Down', 'Light Years' - another 2 tracks that could have had incredible music videos.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 26 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Butterfly came across really well in the live shows as the staging was good and the same for light years, the light years turn it into love mix was just brilliant and from the moment i saw/heard it i was like that would make a brilliant single as the blend worked perfectly.

+Quote this post
cf80
post Aug 26 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #13
Group icon
New Entry
User: 11,459
QUOTE(pippa @ Aug 25 2020, 12:00 AM) *
I don't think any of the five would have performed any less than Please Stay.
Due to the time of release (Please Stay) Under the Influence or Disco Down would have been better choices.

QUOTE(pippa @ Aug 25 2020, 01:39 PM) *
With promotion and physical CDs Kylie could have stretched another Top 10 hit from Light Years.
Please Stay was weaker than these songs and managed Top 10 status.

I agree with both of these comments pippa!

I always felt 'Disco Down' would have been a great choice...besides the fact it's a great song, it also had bells in it, which ticks one of the essential factors required for a November/December release *haha*. That said, I don't necessarily think it would have performed significantly better than 'Please Stay'. Back then, it was a VERY competitive time of year for releasing singles, and I feel that a Kylie release, regardless of what it was, would have gotten lost in the crowd. We were lucky to have 'Please Stay' squeeze into the Top Ten.

Also, while she could have eeked out another release from 'Light Years', it was ultimately the right decision not to, as it gave the public that cooling off period between the end of that project and 'Fever', so that when she returned, it really was with a bang. She had cemented her return with the 'On A Night Like This' tour and by the time 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' arrived, people were genuinely interested in new material from her.

I can understand why Parlophone didn't release 'Your Disco Needs You'. She could get away with a song like that now, since she has cemented her 'national treasure' status, but back then it was very much a case of carefully plotting her re-branding and I do feel 'Your Disco Needs You' would have pigeon-holed her into the novelty/camp quarter. It's still a great song, but, for me, it just wouldn't have been the right choice at that point in her comeback!

This post has been edited by cf80: Aug 26 2020, 06:16 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 26 2020, 09:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The bells point you outline is true and is a requirement for that time of year release.
Additionally your point on Your Disco Needs You and rebranding is on point and the decision worked out for the best.
Was Please Stay a clear Number 10 or was the Number 11 that week far behind or the Number 9 far ahead?

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 26 2020, 10:46 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I think every decision was well thought out with light years and they didnt make rushed decisions as both the label and kylie knew it in many ways was make or break time and to be fair i think it all went very well, 4 top 10 singles, a number 1 and three top 2 hits, a half million selling album and big tour success and huge press attention, it really couldnt have went much better.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 27 2020, 09:52 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Light Years met expectations on all levels.
It kickstarted her comeback as the princess of pop and reintroduced her to a new legion of fans.
Light Years showed critics once again to not write her off.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 27 2020, 10:04 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Break the tension
QUOTE(pippa @ Aug 26 2020, 10:57 PM) *
The bells point you outline is true and is a requirement for that time of year release.
Additionally your point on Your Disco Needs You and rebranding is on point and the decision worked out for the best.
Was Please Stay a clear Number 10 or was the Number 11 that week far behind or the Number 9 far ahead?

I have nothing on the #11, but top 10 that week with estimated sales:

1- CAN WE FIX IT- Bob The Builder (214,963)
2- STAN- Eminem (152,000)
3- NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE- S Club 7 (79,000)*
4- SUPREME- Robbie Williams (71,000)*
5- WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?- Ba-Ha Men (51,000)*
6- CAN’T FIGHT THE MOONLIGHT- LeAnn Rimes (48,000)*
7- INDEPENDENT WOMEN PART ONE- Destiny’s Child (46,000)*
8- OPERATION BLADE (BASS IN THE PLACE)- Public Domain (43,000)*
9- NUMBER ONE- Tweenies (38,000)*
10- PLEASE STAY- Kylie Minogue (38,000)*

Imagine if there had been another big song that week and she'd been kept out of the top 10 by The Tweenies. drama.gif

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Aug 27 2020, 10:10 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
Im probably in the minority but I love Please Stay and thought it was the perfect final single and
I like it much more than the other songs suggested

My least fav is definitely You Disco Needs You, never seen the appeal

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 27 2020, 12:12 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Aug 27 2020, 11:04 AM) *
I have nothing on the #11, but top 10 that week with estimated sales:

1- CAN WE FIX IT- Bob The Builder (214,963)
2- STAN- Eminem (152,000)
3- NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE- S Club 7 (79,000)*
4- SUPREME- Robbie Williams (71,000)*
5- WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?- Ba-Ha Men (51,000)*
6- CAN’T FIGHT THE MOONLIGHT- LeAnn Rimes (48,000)*
7- INDEPENDENT WOMEN PART ONE- Destiny’s Child (46,000)*
8- OPERATION BLADE (BASS IN THE PLACE)- Public Domain (43,000)*
9- NUMBER ONE- Tweenies (38,000)*
10- PLEASE STAY- Kylie Minogue (38,000)*

Imagine if there had been another big song that week and she'd been kept out of the top 10 by The Tweenies. drama.gif

Thank god it went top 10 to continue that big run of top 10 hits. She was close enough to getting the number 9 aswell.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 27 2020, 01:06 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Please Stay was less than 1000 sales from Number 9 which would have been a slightly nicer peak.
That said, it was important it achieved Top 10 status at that time which it did.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:19 PM