BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interscope apparently do not contribute to radio "payola"
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofArgento
post Oct 5 2020, 07:23 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

It has been revealed that Interscope apparently do not pay radio stations to get their songs played on air: common term "payola".

It explains why 'Rain On Me' wasn't even bigger on US radio than it should have been based on streams and iTunes performance!

What are your thoughts on this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofArgento
post Oct 5 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

In a way, removing my stan glasses, I am actually fairly happy to read this because it means the success on radio in the US has been totally warranted and makes the success she has had even more worthwhile.

Now obviously I would love the record label to splash out and give the songs the exposure they need so I am definitely not saying they shouldn't, but in the grand scheme of things, Gaga has smashed recently, so it's not like she has been hindered TOO much. Yes Rain On Me and Shallow could have been EVEN bigger smashes but the sales speak for themselves at the end of the day!

+Quote Post
Adelita
post Oct 5 2020, 09:09 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 82,234
   No Gallery Pics

This is nothing new, literally any other decent label wouldn't let a sized smash hit like Shallow die on US radio with less than 150m in audience (its peak was only 91m). Interscope better get their sh!t together and play the game like everyone else.

This post has been edited by Adelita: Oct 5 2020, 09:11 PM

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Oct 6 2020, 06:26 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Not surprised - she and her management are not kind of type that do whatever they can to climb a spot or two on charts. Both Shallow and Rain on Me reached #1 so they achieved their goal there. Million Reasons couldn't have climbed past #4 under any circumstances. Stupid Love might have gain a position if they campaigned more aggressively in the first week though.

+Quote Post
Adelita
post Oct 7 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sour Candy @ Oct 6 2020, 03:26 AM) *
Million Reasons couldn't have climbed past #4 under any circumstances.

No, not really. MR would only need 56% of Shape of You's streams + airplay to be #2 instead of #4 that week—passing 'I Don't Wanna Live Forever' and 'Bad and Boujee'—and with only 86% of Shape of You's streams + airplay, MR would be #1 that week.

MR had literally only 11% of Shape of You's airplay, also, MR was never added to TTH (literally every song in the Top 40 on Hot 100 that week were on this playlist!)

MR peak was almost entirely due to its huge pure sales that week as US Radio always did Gaga dirty since Judas' backlash.

You can't make a lemonade without lemons. If MR had the same opportunities that most hits of 2016/2017 had, it would be twice as big as it is today.

+Quote Post
Adelita
post Oct 7 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

Also, MR is probably the only song of the streaming era to be eligible for 4x P in the US and to spend 20 weeks on Hot 100 without entering Spotify's TTH and without reaching at least 100m audience on US radio.

MR went to war unarmed!

+Quote Post
HausofArgento
post Oct 7 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #7
Henrietta R Hippo

The little engine that could! It defied the odds and became a hit because of the pure quality of the song and how it connected with the US public. wub.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2021 - 10:58 PM