BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> CAPITAL LETTERS, or lower case?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
CAPITAL LETTERS vs. lower case
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 34
Guests cannot vote 
awardinary
post 14th October 2020, 09:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Something I picked up on when browsing a related thread recently was the general reaction to a trend in making song titles uncapitalised.

QUOTE(dan-G @ Sep 28 2020, 04:38 PM) *
I am not enjoying the lack of capitalization in the title. mad.gif

QUOTE(Jαsє @ Sep 28 2020, 05:08 PM) *
The insufferable trend of having song titles all in lowercase continues sad.gif

QUOTE(Juan Carlos @ Sep 28 2020, 09:17 PM) *
I am also not a fan of this.

It’s a trend that has been adopted by the likes of Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Tate McRae, Surf Mesa and even recently Jax Jones.

Of course, some artists even brand themselves as lowercase or capitalisation of themselves on their material also which adds to the trend.

Do you have any opinion on this when you see it in the charts?

I added a poll with the option of “Other” for any combination of the two, or when the first character of the words is capitalised.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 14th October 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #2
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
I would rather a song title be all lower case than all upper case! Like 'CARDIGAN' doesn't exactly feel right to me. Whereas 'humble.' doesn't look as wrong.

I suppose it kinda depends on the context of the song title also. Like a softer sounding, or relating to something soft, title works in lower case and a harsher title works in upper case. ROCKSTAR works but GREECE is kinda unnecessary imo.

+Quote this post
HiyaLuv!
post 14th October 2020, 10:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 29,031
Now this is my kind of poll.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 14th October 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454
Lower case if they don't use regular caps.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 14th October 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151
I absolutely cannot stand artist names, song titles or album names in anything other than standard mixed case. I'm a real stickler for spelling and grammar, and 'god is a woman', 'CARDIGAN', 'YUNGBLUD' etc. just look wrong to me. Yeah I know it stands out from the crowd and all that, but I just wish they wouldn't.

This post has been edited by M4NGO: 14th October 2020, 10:18 PM

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th October 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I prefer lowercase just because it's more of a chill vibe rather than feeling like I'm being shouted at laugh.gif getting very used to it as an Ariana stan :')

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th October 2020, 10:23 PM
Post #7
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300
QUOTE(M4NGO @ Oct 14 2020, 11:17 PM) *
I absolutely cannot stand artist names, song titles or album names in anything other than standard mixed case. I'm a real stickler for spelling and grammar, and 'god is a woman', 'CARDIGAN', 'YUNGBLUD' etc. just look wrong to me. Yeah I know it stands out from the crowd and all that, but I just wish they wouldn't.

There is a much bigger issue with YUNGBLUD than the capitalisation of his name x

I am entirely neutral on this "issue". The only thing that annoys me is when artists are inconsistent with it. Like Meduza are called MEDUZA on Spotify but (as far as I'm aware) nowhere else. Make your mind up. x

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 14th October 2020, 10:31 PM
Post #8
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Fontaines D.C. were "FONTAINES D.C." on Spotify before Dogrel which annoyed me laugh.gif

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post 14th October 2020, 10:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
QUOTE(M4NGO @ Oct 14 2020, 11:17 PM) *

I absolutely agree with this. When I type out my vote in the BJSC, I always correct each artist and song name to standard mixed case.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 14th October 2020, 10:57 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587
I too agree with the majority who state that grammar should be followed and all words in a song or album title, because it itself is a title, should be capitalised for each first character of each word, but that is it. The rest should be in lowercase.

Another artist name I don’t think needs capitalising is RAYE which would be fine as Raye, otherwise it suggests that RAYE is an acronym and stands for something else...

This post has been edited by awardinary: 14th October 2020, 10:58 PM

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 15th October 2020, 05:55 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614
tbh I'm all for it. If I had a preference, it's for upper case just because it's easier to distinguish itself in a sentence. I don't think titles of anything are at any liberty to have to follow grammatical rules, they're their own entity as soon as you put them into quotation marks. I've always thought it was a weird thing to get pedantic about though, and kind of pretentious. Names like clipping. & fun. are evocative in a way that Clipping & Fun just look flat by comparison. CHVRCHES, A$AP Rocky, SBTRKT have an eye-catching visual appeal that lowercase font looks ugly by comparison. MF DOOM's is so coated into his brand that one of his most iconic lyrics is about it. Most of all though, I like that it provides disambiguation of its own. If Taylor Swift & BABYMETAL were being grammatically correct, then we'd have two more on the pile of songs called "The One", but instead they're doing their own thing so they can easily be referred to without having to further clarify which one it is. If I want to refer to any of Post Malone, DaBaby, Mallrat, or heaven forbid, Reece Mastin's songs of similar name*, all I have to do is use their specific typeset and voila, no pointless confusion about 'did you mean the other, other "Rockstar"?' It's the pedants that are holding it back.

*no relevant omissions

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th October 2020, 06:01 AM
Post #12
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
I don't really care either way, it's just a title anyway and I'm happy for artists to make their own stylistic choices! For which one I prefer, I think all-lowercase looks more aesthetically pleasing than all-caps but both have their place I think.

+Quote this post
danG
post 15th October 2020, 06:48 AM
Post #13
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
hate hate hate anything other than title case. If I had to choose though I dislike all caps lock more.
I’ve even been tempted to switch to Apple Music just so I can edit these song titles to make my playlists look neater.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 15th October 2020, 07:18 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
The traditional format in music magazines (which no longer exist) was 1 (LAST WEEK) (WKS) TITLE (or bold) Artist

and that's the format I continue to use (plus a peak position column) because it gives you the information you want upfront, makes the title stand out and stops the act blending into the TITLE. One case is harder to single stuff out visually, and if the act is in upper case then it just also looks shouty when you have acts with multiple entries and huge long lists of featurings.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 16th October 2020, 07:41 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
I'd prefer if it was all neat and tidy and in proper case but of the 2 options, all capital letters is definitely the more annoying and unnecessary. Just screams pretentiousness to me. Good example is when Zayn dropped PILLOWTALK (I'll concede to it here to make my point) and it just stood out massively on all the chart-related lists at the time. Love the song but what a conceited effort to gain more attention.

Songs all in lower case on the other hand just amuse me and give me the impression the artist has terrible grammar lol.

With artist names I'm not as fussed as that's part of their identity/image etc. but still unless they're acronyms like BTS or JLS it's still rather unnecessary.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 16th October 2020, 07:58 AM
Post #16
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
QUOTE(Dobbo @ Oct 16 2020, 08:41 AM) *
I'd prefer if it was all neat and tidy and in proper case but of the 2 options, all capital letters is definitely the more annoying and unnecessary. Just screams pretentiousness to me. Good example is when Zayn dropped PILLOWTALK (I'll concede to it here to make my point) and it just stood out massively on all the chart-related lists at the time. Love the song but what a conceited effort to gain more attention.

Wasn't it originally: PiLlOwT4lK ?

Hasn't had a solo Top 10 hit since and the follow-up flopped in at number 30.

KaRmA.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 16th October 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
also hate them both ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 16th October 2020, 09:30 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Oct 16 2020, 08:58 AM) *
Wasn't it originally: PiLlOwT4lK ?

Hasn't had a solo Top 10 hit since and the follow-up flopped in at number 30.

KaRmA.

Haha I'd also completely forgotten how increasingly awful his song titles got thereafter on that first album, each one with seemingly diminishing returns in terms of success laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 16th October 2020, 09:47 AM
Post #19
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Draculadracula @ Oct 15 2020, 05:55 AM) *
tbh I'm all for it. If I had a preference, it's for upper case just because it's easier to distinguish itself in a sentence. I don't think titles of anything are at any liberty to have to follow grammatical rules, they're their own entity as soon as you put them into quotation marks. I've always thought it was a weird thing to get pedantic about though, and kind of pretentious. Names like clipping. & fun. are evocative in a way that Clipping & Fun just look flat by comparison. CHVRCHES, A$AP Rocky, SBTRKT have an eye-catching visual appeal that lowercase font looks ugly by comparison. MF DOOM's is so coated into his brand that one of his most iconic lyrics is about it. Most of all though, I like that it provides disambiguation of its own. If Taylor Swift & BABYMETAL were being grammatically correct, then we'd have two more on the pile of songs called "The One", but instead they're doing their own thing so they can easily be referred to without having to further clarify which one it is. If I want to refer to any of Post Malone, DaBaby, Mallrat, or heaven forbid, Reece Mastin's songs of similar name*, all I have to do is use their specific typeset and voila, no pointless confusion about 'did you mean the other, other "Rockstar"?' It's the pedants that are holding it back.

*no relevant omissions

all of this so much, limiting presentation by correct grammar styles seems so unnecessarily formal in an entertainment medium

it is entirely dependent upon each artist's style, I like the aesthetic and vibe a song written in lowercase brings to the imagery I associate with the song, just one way an artist can put together a message of non-conformity and/or chill, meanwhile uppercase indicates strength and a brash sound. yes, if too many people do it then there's no individuality and it's ripe for satire (and if the artist's style goes against our cultural associations of lowercase-phlegmatic + uppercase-choleric then it'll jar) but it doesn't mean that it's wrong to do it if it fits the style and presentation

only thing I ask is that all platforms keep it consistent.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 16th October 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
I’m a fan of lower case when it’s for song titles. I think it looks pretty and it is kinda chilled too. I mean I think regular spelling works as fine but capital letters for song titles I don’t think works too well (although for an album itself it can work like ARTPOP for example).

I don’t think artists names should be all capitals or all lower case though. But for song titles and albums it doesn’t bother me if it’s consistent all the way through.

Remember ZAYN though! He had some great uses of various fonts with his debut album laugh.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 07:39 AM