BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lost Hit: 'Made of Glass', Idolator
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Dec 4 2020, 02:28 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Lost Hit: Kylie Minogue’s “Made Of Glass”

I could write a thesis about the staggering number of Kylie Minogue B-Sides (remember them?) that are better than the actual single, but one that particularly sticks in my craw is “Made Of Glass.” Initially recorded during the Ultimate Kylie sessions in 2004, the Xenomania-produced bop was overlooked in favor of “I Believe In You,” which is fair enough, and “Giving You Up,” which makes no sense. “Giving You Up” is perfectly enjoyable dance-pop fodder, but “Made Of Glass” is the kind of elegantly-constructed pop oddity that Kylie does better than anyone.

“Love makes the world go round, I hold it in my hands but it slips away and I watch it fade,” the enduring hitmaker sings on the wistful hook. “Love is a mystery, I hear it talk to me — but the words are strange, like it knows my name.” That takes us to one of Xenomania’s catchiest choruses. “Bohemian boys and Brazilian girls, a familiar noise in unfamiliar worlds,” Kylie purrs over crystalline synths. “It’s like a million beats in a Parisian heart, we’re made of glass.” It still beggars belief that execs couldn’t see the song’s potential.

“Giving You Up” was released as the second single from Ultimate Kylie in early 2005 and “Made Of Glass” was tacked on as the B-Side. Interestingly, fans immediately latched on to the latter and it was serviced to radio in Australia instead of “Giving You Up.” When you consider that “B.P.M.” also originates from this era, I can’t help but wonder what other staggeringly gorgeous pop gems are eating up memory on Kylie’s laptop.

https://www.idolator.com/7916314/lost-hit-k...=1&chrome=1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 4 2020, 02:45 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend

It would have been interesting to see how this would have been received if released instead of 'Giving You Up'. It's certainly similar to the sort of music Xenomania were making with Girls Aloud at the time - it's like the sister song to 'Swinging London Town' - and would be a unique moment in Kylie's singles discography. Interesting to hear Australian radio played this instead!

+Quote Post
pippa
post Dec 4 2020, 09:17 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Made of Glass has great appeal and is widely enjoyable but Giving You Up is the better of the two songs.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Dec 4 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #4
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

This amazing song has been a regular fixture in my life for over 15 years now, but I like 'Giving You Up' about equally and they both deserved their time in the sun. sad.gif

+Quote Post
markivj
post Dec 5 2020, 12:46 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 78,351
   No Gallery Pics

I love this song and IBIY. I never cared for Giving you up or BPM. That comment about Aus radio playing this was interesting...I didn't even know Aus radio played her records since BL. Even "All the lovers" had such poor airplay no wonder it peaked at #13, and this, after K's performance on Dancing with the stars.

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Dec 5 2020, 03:31 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

I like both songs but giving you up I really like and at times even prefer it to I believe in you. The sound though could have made a great album.

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Dec 5 2020, 07:38 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,155

I like it a lot but almost feel that it’s become overhyped.

It’s a great track but so is GYU, I’m not sure this would have done any better that Kylie’s other singles at the time either - I certainly don’t think it’s a missed opportunity as in it could have reached #1 etc.,

+Quote Post
tommie
post Dec 5 2020, 08:15 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 8,073
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Dec 5 2020, 08:38 AM) *

Yeah, I remember feeling this when it was first released. For some reason fans hated Giving You Up at the time and the reason why it was played by Australian radio was because fans campaigned for it.

It makes me feel that Giving You Up is sort of underrated (even if it's a tad basic).

+Quote Post
___∆___
post Dec 5 2020, 09:10 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,155

I’ve always liked GYU but it seems to have been dumped by the wayside despite being a decent success - it’s generic pop but it’s still a bop.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Dec 5 2020, 10:29 AM
Post #10
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(___∆___ @ Dec 5 2020, 07:38 AM) *

It’s a great track but so is GYU, I’m not sure this would have done any better that Kylie’s other singles at the time either - I certainly don’t think it’s a missed opportunity as in it could have reached #1 etc.,

I think any second single from a GH album would be at an immediate disadvantage, but at that point she was in a position to get top 5/10 with anything.

I agree with whoever said a whole album of the stuff produced from these sessions could have been immense - I Believe in You, Giving You Up, Made of Glass, BPM, Loving You. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 5 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend

I wouldn't even say 'Giving You Up' was generic, it's quite unique among Kylie's singles. It's recognisably Xenomania with its lyrics and song structure - the chorus doesn't appear until half way through the song, the two verses are melodically different, the delivery is very sing-talk.

Also worth remembering it could have been a Top 3 hit if released a week later.

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Dec 5 2020, 10:29 AM) *
I agree with whoever said a whole album of the stuff produced from these sessions could have been immense - I Believe in You, Giving You Up, Made of Glass, BPM, Loving You. wub.gif

I think a comprehensive compilation was absolutely the right choice at that time, but somewhere in a parallel universe I do wonder what an album worth of that material would have been like. I wish 'Loving You' was officially recorded and available to stream!

+Quote Post
Feel_The_Fever
post Dec 5 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

I think a full album from these sessions would have great and also would have been the ideal follow up to Fever.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2021 - 07:30 PM