BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Myanmar Military Coup, The year of democracy continues
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post Feb 3 2021, 02:04 PM
Post #1
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Pretty awful stuff going down at the moment in Myanmar, as their, Aung San Suu Kyi, and members of her party have been detained which some unsubstantiated claims of a fraudulent victory. The leader is now facing jail time for up to two years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55902070

This is terrifying that in any modern country, the military can just affront democracy like this no questions asked, it's been a hard fight for this country to achieve civil government and now it looks like it's been snatched away from them. I don't know what could happen to change this, but Gosh, I hope something can :/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bré
post Feb 3 2021, 02:42 PM
Post #2
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

This is definitely a depressing backsliding but as I understand it the government had already been set up in such a way that Aung San Suu Kyi / her party never really had control of the country (I think a certain percentage of seats in parliament were reserved for the military which effectively gave them permanent veto power over anything they didn't like), sadly it seemed kind of inevitable that they would eventually do this.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Feb 3 2021, 02:54 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, the military were able to nominate a substantial bloc in parliament and also had a permanent veto over changes to the constitution. Aung San Suu Kyi has been a major disappointment as leader but there has always been a feeling that she feared arrest (or worse) if she stepped too far out of line. She is clearly still revered by a very large number of people in Myanmar.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Feb 3 2021, 03:17 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

was a big supported of Aung San Suu Kyi for nearly 15 years but the minute she got power she became what she had always been fighting against :/

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 3 2021, 03:53 PM
Post #5
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I admit I'm not clued up on her/Myanmar's political climate much, I understand there was still big issues during her reign and the power of the military. Just seems depressing really as they were at least elected and this is just back to the military dictatorship they were in for over fifty years :/

At least it gave us this:

+Quote Post
jAddy!
post Feb 3 2021, 03:58 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 2,666

Aung San Suu Kyi is the most perfect example of a decent person turning into a trash one when given power.

The way they treated Rohingya Muslims (in a whole Asia to be honest) is disgusting, a true crime against humanity!!!

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 3 2021, 04:00 PM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Feb 3 2021, 02:42 PM) *
This is definitely a depressing backsliding but as I understand it the government had already been set up in such a way that Aung San Suu Kyi / her party never really had control of the country (I think a certain percentage of seats in parliament were reserved for the military which effectively gave them permanent veto power over anything they didn't like), sadly it seemed kind of inevitable that they would eventually do this.

Yes, it's 25% I believe.

As others have said Aung San Suu Kyi has been a huge disappointment since effectively taking power in 2010, not least the Rohingya genocide that was carried out a few years ago.

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Feb 3 2021, 04:02 PM
Post #8
welcome to the mountaintop
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Aung San Suun Kyi represents the naive hope that a country like Myanmar will just become a liberal democracy like that if you put the systems in without removing the authoritarian power structures already there. I suspect that this is a planned reorganisation so that the military can prevent a weakening of their power considering ASSK's party won the recent elections quite comfortably.

Unfortunately I also suspect that internationally diplomats will wring their hands about this for a short while and nothing will happen, the coup will be successful and that this is the new political reality in Myanmar for now.

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Feb 4 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Its possible Aung San Suu Kyi didn't have much power anyway and just had to go along with the hardline version of Burmese nationalism that seems to dominate politics there at the moment. Of course I still hope that her and other politicians detained survive.

I don't think the coup will make much of a difference in terms of Myanmar's policies.

This post has been edited by ElevenSnake: Feb 4 2021, 06:23 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th March 2021 - 03:38 PM