BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> George's 20 Favourite Ari Tracks, Let's begin the countdown
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 05:26 PM
Post #1
#VoteGarden.Keh
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 32,047
   No Gallery Pics

George’s 20 Favourite Ariana Grande Songs-

YUH! I have always loved ranking and compiling lists of my favourite thing- whether that be films, albums, places, or my personal favourite: songs. One thing that has come more recently with this passion is the commentary I began to write that went alongside these rankings. So, here I am starting with my first attempt at listing an artist’s songs that are true favourites of mine. There may be some stories behind some, some may be undeniably great, some may be unpopular opinions, but ones I am willing to back up with facts, thoughts, and feelings!

Feel free to discuss your thoughts on my choices and opinions on the songs!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #2
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

Before I start, here are the amount of songs featured from each album:

Yours Truly- 3
My Everything- 4
Dangerous Woman- 4
Sweetener- 4
Thank U Next- 2
Positions- 3

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 05:42 PM
Post #3
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

20. POV (Positions)

Our top 20 opens with a track from Ariana’s latest release, Positions- a low-key affair that can’t claim to match the energy of a song like Into You or the BPM of Break Free- the album can however offer a slew of mid-tempo R&B numbers making this the album most reminiscent of Mariah Carey’s 90s work- an artist Grande has had many comparisons to her entire career. POV opens with soft electronic pulses and a strings section before she opens with “It’s like you got superpowers”-immediately setting the scene for the romantic, sensual number. Ari doesn’t use her signature powerful vocals in this one- instead opting for a falsetto based vocal performance best highlighted in the twinkly middle eight that sounds like something straight out of Phil Spectre-produced Motown tracks.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 25 2021, 06:13 PM
Post #4
jerd
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

OOH wub.gif surprised that 'thank u, next' has the least amount of represenation but 2-4 from each album is a decently even spread nonetheless! Excited *.*

'pov' is a great one to start with <3 I suspect that could do quite well in the 'positions' rate. Here's hoping it gets a video soon!

+Quote Post
MrAndrewMan
post Mar 25 2021, 06:21 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 73,703
   No Gallery Pics

Love "pov" - a strong start! wub.gif

+Quote Post
Juliannnial
post Mar 25 2021, 06:23 PM
Post #6
Julian Nial
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 18,454
   No Gallery Pics

A gorgeous track! I look forward to hearing this on our airwaves. Great choice!

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 06:42 PM
Post #7
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Mar 25 2021, 06:13 PM) *
OOH wub.gif surprised that 'thank u, next' has the least amount of represenation but 2-4 from each album is a decently even spread nonetheless! Excited *.*

It’s actually my second fave Ariana album as well surprisingly!

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 06:44 PM
Post #8
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

19. Bad Decisions (Dangerous Woman)

Next up is the immensely catchy, Bad Decisions- a cut from Grande’s third studio album, Dangerous Woman- a project that sees her shifting genre from track to track. The song is a bouncy pop track backed by a refrain performed by guitars and drums. Disney-like in melody, the song captures Ari’s desire to make, you guessed it, Bad Decisions and the chorus sings about her lover that inspires these. The highlight of the track without a doubt comes from the bridge where Grande whispers “ain’t you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch” before production comes crashing in against her soaring vocals. If there was ever a song that summed up the movie cliché of driving in Miami with the top down and beach go-ers in awe at the bikini-clad passengers- it’s Bad Decisions.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 25 2021, 06:51 PM
Post #9
jerd

Oh yesssss - I'm ready to stan pretty much anything from 'Dangerous Woman' tbh kink.gif I love 'Bad Decisions' and was really happy that we got to showcase it in AF Idol last year *.* the elongated notes in the chorus are probably my highlight <3 although the bridge is a good shout too.

+Quote Post
Juliannnial
post Mar 25 2021, 06:51 PM
Post #10
Julian Nial
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 18,454
   No Gallery Pics

A sublime album track. Due to strong competition I never saw it working as a single, but I do wonder what it would have done if it was released in place of 'Focus'.

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 07:23 PM
Post #11
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

18. Daydreamin’ (Yours Truly)

Whilst not the most groundbreaking number, Daydreamin’- taken from Ariana’s debut album, Yours Truly, is three and a half minutes of dreamy lyricism backed by a 50s-doo-wop production and ad-libs a plenty telling the story of Grande’s time spent thinking about the one. Against some tracks on the album that sound trend-chasing and very of the time- this is one of a few tracks that sounded like a loving homage to musical theatre and the musical legends Ariana has cited as her influences. It’s a shame Ari likely doesn’t class this as a favourite as it’s a sugar-sweet listen and underrated vocal moment from our pop princess.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 25 2021, 07:35 PM
Post #12
jerd

I’ve been in a bit of a ‘Yours Truly’ mood today thanks to the anniversary of ‘The Way’ being released!

‘Daydreamin’ is lovely so this continues to be a strong start. 🙌

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 07:46 PM
Post #13
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

Let's get the first five out of the way tonight

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 07:47 PM
Post #14
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

17. 34+35 (Positions)

We return to the latest effort from Ariana here, with a track from Positions. There was no speculation upon the release of the album that this track was going to be an instant fan favourite and a smash hit- with the song reaching top five peaks on both sides of the pond. Subtlety is Grande’s worst enemy on the song as she, rather graphically sings about her favourite extracurricular activities including drinking coffee, keeping it squeaky and of course… maths. The song works so well due to Ari’s tongue being very firmly planted in cheek- she’s aware of the campiness and silliness of the lyrics and sounds like she’s having the time of her life on the track! The less said about the Megan Thee Stallion verse on the remix, the better.

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 07:48 PM
Post #15
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

16. Better Off (Sweetener)

Sweetener was an interesting album, fans either seemed to be immediate fans or very critical- I took the route of the latter. Grande’s fourth album is for me, her weakest, but when she hits, she scores a home run- as shown by the three singles and this album cut which stands out amongst the Pharrell produced tracks and underwhelming performances. Her lower register on the verses is soothing and carries the entire song as she doesn’t go overboard on vocal ad-libs instead letting the minimal production do the heavy work. The lyrics are romantic and create the perfect imagery to match the backdrop of the strings and slight trap beat.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 25 2021, 08:30 PM
Post #16
jerd

Okay time for a disagreement as I do prefer the remix kink.gif and '34+35' isn't a massive highlight from the album from me, but I do appreciate 'positions' era representation nonetheless, as it feels like her most underrated album since her debut in terms of online reaction. 'Better Off' though... so lush wub.gif

+Quote Post
alohomora
post Mar 25 2021, 09:57 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 117,811
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(George.keh @ Mar 25 2021, 06:42 PM) *
It’s actually my second fave Ariana album as well surprisingly!

I actually get why that would be the case for you. "thank u, next" is my favorite album of hers because it's immaculate as a whole body of work. It's very much more than just a sum of its track list. Interestingly enough, if we take a track by track look at the other projects, I have several songs all above every track of "thank u, next".

+Quote Post
George.keh
post Mar 25 2021, 10:38 PM
Post #18
#VoteGarden.Keh
   No Gallery Pics

15. Breathin’ (Sweetener)

Speaking of Sweetener’s three singles- here we are with the first of them in the mid-tempo pop bop that is Breathin’. The albums release was another clear case in what HAD to be the next single- with this track scoring a top ten peak in the UK despite the lack of any promotion- the power of a great song! The lower register appears on the verses again and really give the song these different moments and a soft element- particularly backed with the thoughts of the tragic Manchester attack being a strong inspiration behind the song’s lyrics. Also, the runs, the RUNS on this track!

+Quote Post
coi
post Mar 25 2021, 11:23 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

Nice to have such variety in the top 20 with all albums represented by more than one track. A great start too, pov, Daydreamin' and breathin are all really good and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 25 2021, 11:45 PM
Post #20
jerd

'breathin' is my favourite inclusion thus far wub.gif absolute stunner... yet my least favourite of the three 'sweetener' singles? laugh.gif an insane era for single picks!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2021 - 12:31 AM