BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RIP Tina Turner
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 7th April 2021, 11:54 AM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Are there any Tina Turner fans here? biggrin.gif

I have to admit that I haven't heard many of her songs. I know the big classics such as River Deep Mountain High, Let's Stay Together, What's Love Got to Do with It and The Best (in particular I adore The Best, what a song!). I also enjoy When the Heartache Is Over, and I think her cover of Missing You is beautiful:

However, I've not heard a full album by her... although I do recall my mum having 'The Best' on CD, as well as her 1996 album 'Wildest Dreams' on cassette, so I probably heard a few more songs as a young child... but I can't really remember.

I watched the recently released 'Tina' documentary earlier this week, and I would certainly recommend watching it - she is truly a remarkable woman. It goes without saying that it's horrendous that she suffered years of domestic abuse, and the documentary highlighted that even in the many years after leaving Ike, the media would constantly ask her about him. I feel sorry for her that she was unfortunately never really allowed to move on from the trauma she lived through for almost 2 decades of her life.

Another aspect of the documentary that was illuminating to me is just how huge of an artist she was - I honestly had no idea that she sold out stadiums around the world. The documentary shows footage from her Rio de Janeiro performance in 1988 - 180,000 people were in attendance! ohmy.gif

Clearly she was an incredibly electrifying performer, and her vocals are so distinctive and strong. She played at Wembley Stadium four times, twice in 1996 and twice in 2000 - she was 60 years old in 2000 and look at the energy she has!

The documentary has made me feel like I should listen to her albums and check out more performances. I definitely feel like I could become a rather belated big fan of hers wub.gif

One more thing - I think it's pretty incredible that she experienced such a massive career revival in 1984, at which point she was 44 years old. It's pretty inspiring that she achieved such huge success in middle age, against all the odds!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 7th April 2021, 12:14 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Not a huge fan tbh

Although in a way she did provide us one of the best tv moments ever... wub.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 7th April 2021, 12:34 PM
Post #3
Group icon

wub.gif One of my favourite TV scenes ever, and that really solidified my love for The Best!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 7th April 2021, 01:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Brilliant singer whose had some amazing songs ('Private Dancer') is my personal fave, along with some other classics such as 'Let's Stay Together', 'What's Love Got To Do With It', 'Typical Male', 'The Best', 'Don't Wanna Lose You', 'Steamy Windows' etc. Must have watched 'What's Love Got To With It' the movie on her life, about a 1000 times. Great singer & true legend.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th April 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Actually, the only song of hers that I dislike is The Best.

+Quote this post
AaronTM
post 7th April 2021, 03:58 PM
Post #6
Group icon
salty foods parch the human
User: 4,631

Tina Turner is an artist I've admired for a long time but I have to admit, I don't think I've ever listened to a studio album of hers. Her 2004 "All The Best" greatest hits has always been my go-to point as that's the collection which turned me into more of a fan. Outside of the most obvious big ones, my favourites are "I Can't Stand The Rain", "Private Dancer", "Nutbush City Limits", "Better Be Good To Me" and the live version of "Addicted To Love" is fun for a karaoke moment.

I think if I were inspired to dive into a studio album I would go for "Private Dancer" or "Foreign Affair" as I think the 80s/early 90s Tina era is my favourite.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 7th April 2021, 04:59 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

She's fab.

Start with the Ike & Tina originals of River Deep Mountain High & Nutbush City Limits (which Tina wrote about herself) for 2 epics.

Let's Stay Together is a Heaven 17 creation (more or less), What's Love Got To Do still fab (Bucks Fizz first recorded it, written by 70's British hitmakers Graham Lyle & Terry "Devil Woman" Britten, but Tina got it out first), The Best is an anthem that Bonnie Tyler did first, Steamy Windows all swamp rock Tony Joe White, CCR's Proud Mary, We Don;t Need Another Hero (another Lyle/Britten power ballad), and I Don't Wanna Fight co-written by Lulu. Yes, actual Lulu gave it away to Tina to record.

Oh, I also saw her live in the 90's at Wembley and she was fab.

+Quote this post
fiesta
post 11th April 2021, 02:01 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232

Better Be Good To Me is a song I like from her. It often gets over looked but it was written by the same team that wrote The Best (Mike Chapman & Holly Knight).

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 17th April 2021, 01:51 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Im not a stan fan but like a good few of her songs, when the heartache is over is a big fave of mine but probably not one of her widely popular songs.

+Quote this post
My Random Music
post 19th April 2021, 09:27 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 124,622

Ike and Tina Turner have some great songs, my personal favourite is "I've Been Loving You Too Long". Can take or leave Tina Turner as a solo artist though.

+Quote this post
SimpsonFan
post 20th April 2021, 08:04 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 97,817

Some people may not know that the Freemasons sampled When The Heartbreak Is Over for their 2005 hit Love On My Mind

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 2nd May 2021, 09:54 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I'm a HUGE fan of Tina! Her Foreign Affair album is excellent, I also really like Private dancer and The Best album (greatest hits) is brilliant. I've never listened to Break Every Rule for some reason I should probably do so.

She really is one of the biggest acts ever, especially touring wise. At her peak she was the highest grossing tour act in the world, amazing achievement for a female artist back then. I'd love to watch the documentary, where is it available??

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 2nd May 2021, 11:39 PM
Post #13
Group icon

It’s on NowTV but it’s also on DVD and Blu-Ray!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 3rd May 2021, 07:18 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I'm thinking of getting a NOWTV package so I can watch Chernoble... this has made me more interested!

The best is a special song for me it was my grandfathers favourite song and when I was a child he told me and my cousins he wanted us to sing it at his funeral. I did his eulogy at his funeral some 20 years later and I mentioned about this story and then followed up with "grandad was deaf like me so he didn't realise how bad we would all sound." laugh.gif We played it at the end for him, it took me several years to be able to listen to the song again. It is still hard to listen to now but it does make me smile rather than cry!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 3rd May 2021, 07:18 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I'm thinking of getting a NOWTV package so I can watch Chernoble... this has made me more interested!

The best is a special song for me it was my grandfathers favourite song and when I was a child he told me and my cousins he wanted us to sing it at his funeral. I did his eulogy at his funeral some 20 years later and I mentioned about this story and then followed up with "grandad was deaf like me so he didn't realise how bad we would all sound." laugh.gif We played it at the end for him, it took me several years to be able to listen to the song again. It is still hard to listen to now but it does make me smile rather than cry!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 3rd June 2021, 07:55 PM
Post #16
Group icon

It's interesting to hear the demo - it's a bit less energetic than the glorious final version!

Foreign Affair is being reissued on a 5 disc set (4 CDs - CD1: Album Remaster / CD2: B-Sides, Remixes & Unreleased Demo / CD3+4: ‘Do You Want Some Action?’ Live in Barcelona 1990 / DVD: ‘Do You Want Some Action?’ Live in Barcelona 1990 & Promo Videos), and 2xLP vinyl of the original album, remastered.

https://shop.thisisdig.com/uk/catalogsearch...ce&dir=desc

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 5th June 2021, 07:56 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Tina Turner night on BBC 2 cheeseblock.png

8:40pm Tina Turner at the BBC
Archive footage of the singer's performances on BBC programmes over the years, featuring some of her biggest hits from the 1970s, '80s and '90s

9:45pm Tina Turner: Simply the Best
The singer chats to BBC arts editor Will Gompertz about the highs and lows of her career and bring her well-documented life story up to date. In a wide-ranging conversation, she talks about the tragedy of her eldest son's recent suicide, how an unexpected stroke affected the early days of her second marriage, and how her life was saved when her husband became her kidney donor. She also discusses the musical collaborations that saw her become one of the icons of the 1980s, and the abusive relationship with ex-husband Ike Turner, which set her on the road to stardom, but also nearly destroyed her

10:30pm Tina Live!
A 2009 concert by Tina Turner in the Dutch city of Arnhem as part of her 50th anniversary tour, which saw her perform 90 shows in more than 40 different cities across North America and Europe during 2008 and 2009. The set contains some of Tina's best-loved songs, including The Best, What's Love Got to Do With It and Proud Mary

+Quote this post
fiesta
post 6th June 2021, 01:46 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232

I watched the first two shows, didn't know she was now of Swiss nationality!

+Quote this post
pippa
post 7th June 2021, 11:07 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Nice amount happening to keep her fans happy.
The new version of Foreign Affair has much to offer.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 19th July 2021, 07:10 AM
Post #20
Group icon

Foreign Affair reissue is out now!

+Quote this post