BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2021 German Federal Election
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Quarantilas
post Apr 20 2021, 09:53 PM
Post #1
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

Lot happening today but the big news out of the Bundesrepublik is That both the Greens and the CDU/CSU have Chosen their Kanzler/in candidate and the above polling is the immediate reaction of the German public. The Greens leading a national poll for the first time.

Potentially a seismic shift in the largest EU member
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Apr 21 2021, 07:10 AM
Post #2
welcome to the mountaintop
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Woah, that's quite interesting to imagine - as is any situation with the CDU Union not in power to be honest*. The German Green party is a lot stronger than many other Green parties but it's nice to imagine a knockon effect. From what I hear they have some issues that make them a lot less radical than other Green parties - though that might contribute to their popularity, though what's your impression of them?

*assuming a SPD/Green coalition is a possibility?

+Quote Post
Quarantilas
post Apr 21 2021, 07:28 AM
Post #3
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

They want a 130 km/h mandatory Autobahn speed limit, so bad. My impression is Bad. 🤣

Nah on a serious note. They are a lot more grounded and realist than most green parties are. They would be a very vocal champion of HS2 for example as here they are a big voice in favour of further improving ICE to replace domestic flights. They’re fairly centre-left rather than the tree hugging musli eating weirdos that they were seen and dismissed as until fairly recently. I haven’t seen the firm platform yet because we’re still months out from the elec but they seem to be quite pragmatic and collegiate. Remind me more of the Scottish Greens than the E&W Greens tbh

Current coalition possibilities are:
Schwarz-Grün - CDU/CSU + Greens (with polling volatile enough that either could be the lead partner there)
Rot-Rot-Grün - SPD + Die Linke + Greens (Lead)
Traffic light - Green (lead) + SPD + FDP

All are constellations currently found in Germany. Baden-Württemberg has swapped from a CDU lead to a Green lead Schwarz-Grün coalition and the SPD head a traffic light in Rheinland-Pfalz. SPD also head RRG in Berlin but it’s likely that come the Berlin state election later this year the Greens will head a re-elected RRG instead.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 21 2021, 07:44 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

My recollection from the time is that Die Grune (can’t be bothered to find the umlaut) had a major reckoning when they were in power with the SPD. There was conflict between the fundamental wing (Fundis) and the more realistic wing (Realis). The Realis won at the time and have remained dominant.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2021 - 12:17 AM