BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Charting Duets, The latest trend?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post May 4 2021, 11:29 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Iíve been noticing a trend in the charts of late whereby duets are the way to go for an almost certain hit. They didnít used to feature so heavily in the charts for the last few years but lately there are a lot more breaking into the Top 40. I wondered if anyone nad any theories on why this is happening a lot more lately than in recent years.

Hereís just a few I picked from 2020 and 2021 that have charted inside the UK Top 40;

So why the sudden surge in duets breaking into the Top 40 in the last 12 months or so? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dobbo.
post May 5 2021, 09:23 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Well I wouldn't say there's a sudden surge. It's just more commonplace nowadays for an '&' or a 'x' to be used instead of a 'ft.' which gives the impression it's more of a half and half job than one of them just turning up to do some vocals. Why the accreditation preference is changing is something I'm not too sure about though.

On a general note a song by 2 artists is usually a decent tactic to gauge more interest and get a combined fanbase purchasing power but often at the expense of an actually decent song. On paper, a Shawn/Bieber collab sounds like an absolute monster smash but (in my opinion at least) it was a pretty forgettable effort.

+Quote Post
Herbs
post May 5 2021, 09:36 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 214

Always love a good duet. Iíve noticed an increase in pop duets, although most of them seem to be screwed over by streaming

+Quote Post
MangÝ
post May 5 2021, 09:46 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 151

Duets have bee a thing for years surely? I can't say I've noticed they've been more prominent lately but like Dobbo says, maybe it's the more commonplace '&' or 'x' crediting which makes it feel like there's a surge.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post May 5 2021, 10:53 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

in the past we had more of a Pop Artist ft Rapper
as in Jennifer Lopez ft Pitbull

now we'er having more like Pop Artist ft (or &) another Pop Artist
which is a good tactic cos you get the 2 fanbases

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post May 5 2021, 11:19 AM
Post #6
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I'd probably say the track appearing on both artist's streaming profiles is a big reason for their omnipresence these days.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2021 - 02:37 AM