BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To Binge or Not To Binge..., Streaming era..
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
How do you like your series nowadays?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
Tafty³³³
post Jun 19 2021, 06:20 PM
Post #1
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

So in the age of Streaming, it's so easy to get access to shows and be able to binge all the episodes at once.

But talking about this v briefly in the 'Love Victor' thread... what is your preferred choice?

Do you like having all episodes at once to binge at your own free will (like a lot of the Netflix shows ala 'Stranger Things' & 'Sweet Tooth') or do you like having them drop an episode once a week so you're not too overwhelmed with it all (ala the Disney+ shows like 'WandaVision', 'Falcon & The Winter Soldier' & 'Loki')
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 19 2021, 06:25 PM
Post #2
I found the love, I found the love in me
Member No.: 5,042

I have to say, I don't mind either way, but I think my preferred method is Weekly Episodes.

I feel like there's a lot more discussion to be had when an episode is dropped weekly than there is when its all out at once. It also feels like it maintains the hype a lot more and for a lot longer. Plus I don't have to worry too much about having to avoid too many spoilers if I don't watch it straight away etc..

I like it when I can binge too, don't get me wrong. But I feel that once I'm done watching that show, I'm over it a few days later until the hype starts going around the next season etc..

---

The 'Love Victor' situation is v bizarre. It's all available on Hulu in the US (a service which isn't available WW) but getting weekly episodes via their STAR service on Disney+... makes absolutely ZERO sense to me. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Quarantilas
post Jun 19 2021, 06:29 PM
Post #3
Queen of Soon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,474

It depends. If it’s a new show then sometimes weekly can be nice, especially if it’s event tv but if it’s something more reality like nailed it or queer eye or home edit then I’ll take them all at once because it’s not really a show that makes you crave the next ep. I think if I’m watching something weekly then I should really crave the follow up episode as soon as the one I’m watching finishes.

Older stuff just drop en mass.

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 19 2021, 07:11 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543

I prefer the way Netflix do it where everything is available at once.

Although I can see why Disney are doing the one drop a week as it helps to build anticipation and discussion around it.

I just like being able to watch it all when I want though laugh.gif

From a business sense I can see why one a week works though like for the reasons you've said, for extending the hype and whatnot.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jun 19 2021, 10:58 PM
Post #5
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Mostly I prefer to binge. Recently It's a Sin gave viewers the choice of watching the whole series immediately on All 4, or watching it once a week on Channel 4... and I went for the binge watch approach! I also couldn't wait for Love, Victor... with it all being available online, it was way too tantalising to wait for 1 episode per week drops on Disney+ Star sad.gif

Having said that, if once a week is the only option, then I can appreciate it being paced out and having something to look forward to.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jun 19 2021, 11:11 PM
Post #6
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm kind of in the middle as I never really watch a streaming programme all in one go as it's over too quickly and you don't have time to process it, but that said, I like having all episodes available and don't often watch terrestrial or live TV mainly cos there are very few programmes I'm interested in that work better live, although a benefit to live episodes is they do make it easier to Google and avoid spoilers, I have to be very careful of that when watching a streaming show.

It generally depends on the type of show - short-form, escapist comedy series and brain-switched-off type stuff that are about 15-30 minutes an episode I can watch very quickly and definitely work better all in one (off the top of my head, This Time with Alan Partridge and This Country from what I recently watched), but most things longer than 45 minutes an episode or a series that just is heavier and more challenging in general (I May Destroy You and Inside No. 9 come to mind from what I'm currently watching) I like/need to spread them out over at least a few days as I want time to really understand them and think about what I've seen. Although overall, it does ultimately depend on how invested I am, I got through season 3 of Line of Duty super quickly!

tl;dr: not really a binger, but like having them all available to fit my own pace, not sure where that would put me thinking.gif

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jun 20 2021, 10:38 AM
Post #7
i love el diablo
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

I'd prefer all episodes to drop at once so I can watch at my own pace. I'm not someone who watches an entire season of a show in one day, but I might watch 2 or 3 episodes of the same show in one night and can be done with a season in a few days (depending on episode count). But I also don't mind what Netflix did with the recent season of The Circle USA and what they're about to do with Too Hot To Handle, where they drop 3 or 4 episodes one week and then 3 or 4 more the week after...I just can't deal with stuff being dragged out with one a week anymore laugh.gif

The situation with Love, Victor is very annoying because I only just caught up with season 1, watched it all over two nights, and now I just want to crack on with season 2 like US viewers are able to with Hulu, but at the minute I'm hanging on in order to make the most of my Disney+ subscription, and I want to be watching it through a legal method so that I'm 'counted' as a viewer in the Disney+ data laugh.gif sad.gif I think it would be less annoying if the way it drops was consistent worldwide.

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jun 20 2021, 11:15 AM
Post #8
Live, we shall- through moments both fleeting and eternal!
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Anime basically stuck to weekly all the way through this 'streaming trend' (outside of a few Netflix exclusives that were mostly not received very well) and that's my preference, I've always been someone who prefers to hear other people's thoughts on what I'm watching - even when I'm watching an old show I'll look up archives of the original discussion thread on reddit if possible - and the fact is that there's just more discussion that way. It's very comforting as well, every season I take a couple of weekly shows to watch, note down the times of the week they're on and it becomes a ritual to a least catch up with them on that day. I also like watching a lot of series at a time, even if I may switch my focuses every now and then.

And it means the series last longer, shows I've binged I forget very quickly if they're not good, even some of my favourites I did binge, I only did near the end or near a critical point, they largely stay with me because I spread at least some of the series out. You can only absorb so much into your memory in one day and binging series causes the episodes to seep into each other and not stand out so much in your memory.

Could never do the day 1 binge anyway, I have to be able to see what people have said about a show, and the thing is, if it's one that drops all its episodes at once, that's not actually much. Everyone forgets it and moves on to the next thing.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jun 20 2021, 07:40 PM
Post #9
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

I don't binge watch, but it just depends really. I feel like Disney+ and Amazon started this trend as it strings out the content (which lacks massively compared to Netflix). The discussion is better as most people are at the same pace and it feels more like an event. My one thing with the Netflix shows is it's so hard to discuss stuff as you'll benture in to spoiler territory!

I do think Netflix will start to go down to the 'airing weekly' to test the concept out with users if it's one of their big brands.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2021, 01:51 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I don't binge. Everything in moderation (yawn). laugh.gif

I hate binge-watching, it fries my brain and my concentration goes so end up not paying attention. If it's something I LOVE then I want to absorb all of it, with no distractions. If it's something that turns out a bit trashy (Doom Patrol last night) I don;t mind texting while watching cos its not missing owt much.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Jun 21 2021, 02:15 PM
Post #11
Schlagerdrottningen
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Binge is my preferred method for most shows, especially Limited Series and something where you know there isn't going to be another season. It depends on the show, but in a lot of cases you either need to be ''in the zone'' and fully focussed or you'll forget stuff between episodes (especially an issue as I watch 6/7 shows at a time) or for the likes of a lot of stuff if you stop, you'll probably never start again.

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jun 21 2021, 03:21 PM
Post #12
Live, we shall- through moments both fleeting and eternal!
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qween @ Jun 21 2021, 02:15 PM) *
Binge is my preferred method for most shows, especially Limited Series and something where you know there isn't going to be another season. It depends on the show, but in a lot of cases you either need to be ''in the zone'' and fully focussed or you'll forget stuff between episodes (especially an issue as I watch 6/7 shows at a time) or for the likes of a lot of stuff if you stop, you'll probably never start again.

This is why I track religiously. Sometimes I forget to get around to an episode of something I'm watching for a few weeks more, but a quick skim of the last couple of episodes I watched when I do get back to it and I make it my default watch for the next few days. Rarely watch more than 2 episodes of something in a day still, but that's because of needing to focus.

(also sometimes I just watch one episode of everything currently on my watch list to ensure I stay abreast with everything going on, a nice bit of control and orderliness in this sort of very serious business)

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Jun 21 2021, 03:31 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

I love binge-watching, yesterday I watched all season 2 of Special, 8 epic in one day biggrin.gif but they were short

Best thing is though when you discover a show you didn't know but three's like 4-5 seasons and like 40-50 episodes
so you can watch at your own pace, no rush, but no need to wait between episodes either

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Jun 21 2021, 05:59 PM
Post #14
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
Member No.: 67,771

Weekly all the time for me!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd August 2021 - 06:57 AM