BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "British #1 Hit Songs Americans Have Never Heard Of", a Diamond Axe Studios video
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
N-S
post Jul 5 2021, 01:13 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 816
   No Gallery Pics

On the occasion of the 4th Of July, US youtuber Sean Fay Wolfe, whose channel Diamond Axe Studios analyzes US chart music did a speacial video analyzing some of the most astonishing UK #1 hit singles, most of them unknown to the American public. It includes Bob The Builder, Mr. Blobby, Swagger Jagger, Japanese Boy, Ebeneezer Goode, Mull Of Kintyre, Nutrocker, It's My Birthday, Marmalade's cover of O-bla-di O-bla-da, the Eamonn/Frankee double punch and Rage Against The X-Factor.

This post has been edited by N-S: Jul 5 2021, 01:26 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Jul 5 2021, 01:19 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 19,585
   No Gallery Pics

Eamon / Frankee is a surprise considering the former went Top 20 in the US! But we definitely took to the "drama" a lot more I guess

+Quote Post
dan::G
post Jul 5 2021, 01:46 PM
Post #3
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

there'd be enough material for a few videos like those considering the sheer amount of UK #1s that never crossed over.

I am a fan of the channel and the video although it was very much on the side of 'let's laugh at the UK for their shit taste in music' for the most part, a lot of credible pop and EDM got overlooked in favour of novelty and charity songs. Surprised Eamon was never bigger than #16 in the US though.

+Quote Post
Rush
post Jul 5 2021, 02:12 PM
Post #4
wayback machine gif rescuer
Member No.: 18,564
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dan::G @ Jul 5 2021, 11:46 PM) *
there'd be enough material for a few videos like those considering the sheer amount of UK #1s that never crossed over.

I am a fan of the channel and the video although it was very much on the side of 'let's laugh at the UK for their shit taste in music' for the most part, a lot of credible pop and EDM got overlooked in favour of novelty and charity songs. Surprised Eamon was never bigger than #16 in the US though.
I think it probably did about as well as it could for a not-very-radio-friendly song, as CD singles were so dead (outside of American Idol singles) at the time that the Hot 100 was practically airplay-only. Eamon was actually the 4th best selling single of 2004 there (behind 3 American Idol artists), but that only made the difference between peaking at #16 on the Hot 100 and peaking at #19 on airplay.

+Quote Post
Dot Branning
post Jul 5 2021, 04:06 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 122,344
   No Gallery Pics

I enjoyed watching that, it's an interesting topic and definitely scope for another couple of videos, especially if they focus on some of the genuinely great #1s that had zero impact in the US as well as all the bizarre novelty shit.

+Quote Post
fiesta
post Jul 5 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

Mr blobby, Cher Lloyd and Bob the builder they aren't missing out on much then!

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Jul 7 2021, 06:04 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

I don't know if this would work the other way around as US hits that did nothing chartwise in the UK seem to eventually be known here anyway - see 'Baby Got Back' (#1 US, #56 UK) and T-Pain's 'Buy U A Drank' (#1 US, #DNC UK) as two examples of that.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 9 2021, 01:08 PM
Post #8
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

This was a very funny video, and I got to know more about these hits. Some of them I already listened to.
Been following both Diamond Axe and Mode Reviews since the end of 2018.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd August 2021 - 08:09 AM