BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BJSC 136: The Legendary (伝説) Semi Final Reveal!, reincarnation versus resurrection
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 02:36 PM
Post #1
Live, we shall- through moments both fleeting and eternal!
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

5pm.

Everything is, touch wood, prepared, so when we start I will be going fairly quickly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 8 2021, 03:03 PM
Post #2
jerd
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Looking forward to it!

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jul 8 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #3
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Nooooo I missed this

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jul 8 2021, 03:07 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,473

I would say I'm looking forward to it but I'm working waaaaah.

+Quote Post
FrankLuck
post Jul 8 2021, 03:16 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 10,284
   No Gallery Pics

Yaaas, I'm ready for the gems cheer.gif

+Quote Post
uhsting
post Jul 8 2021, 03:17 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 77,363
   No Gallery Pics

wub.gif

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 8 2021, 03:25 PM
Post #7
brer
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 8,300

wave.gif

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 03:45 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

MISSION STATEMENT AND INTRODUCTION

One of the reasons I’ve stayed so interested in BJSC over 10 years of participation is something which I think is often underrated in its appeal – and that appeal is the narrative. Think about it. That same force with which we cheer on a nation returning to the Eurovision final after a long absence, or to talk about an unbroken streak like Ukraine’s, a Swedish or Irish dominance, or to see Portugal winning for the very first time after years of attempts, we get to see that high stakes drama play out on this forum 10 times a year. And it’s made better because instead of distant nation states, this is about people we know, getting success, breaking records, finding comebacks, building a story.

And so, with my chance to host, I want to draw attention to that. And while my chosen flavour, anime aesthetics, is very specific to me, I made some choices with that flavour that benefit this focus on a narrative of friendly competition. It’s not just submitting music, but telling a story with that music that makes it even better to listen to, better discoveries and memories that will last. At least that's the idea. I always have really bad short-term memory of recent contests, so I'm going to pass over recent results in this reveal, as well as what I know about this month's bunch of entries.

To begin, I’d like to introduce a PLOT TWIST. The anime flavour does not only include anime-inspired horse races, which is still part of my flavour, don’t misunderstand me, but another show as well. In fact, many shows are represented, of course, I never know quite when to quit, but these two are the main ones… for now. I picked these two shows because, quite apart from finishing their second seasons recently, they both use unconventional settings to deliver this same kind of focus on telling a sporting, or artistic, journey. Both make use of music in their narrative. We are renaming the semis to be Horses against Zombies. Or H against Z. Make of that what you will.

Uma Musume (“Horse Girls”) is an anime based around what is currently the most popular mobile game in Japan. It’s also almost a documentary. It focuses on the conceit that famous Japanese racehorses (from the 90s, mostly) have been reincarnated into an alternate world as anime girls with horse ears and incredible running capabilities (who then sing like idols at the conclusion of their races because of course). It then makes use of this anthropomorphization to shine a spotlight on some of the greatest non-human athletes that I would have otherwise never heard about. The races in the show are almost entirely accurate to their real-life counterparts and in some cases the horse characters literally reflect the mannerisms of the real-life horse counterparts. There’s also a heavy focus for the characters on winning streaks, being the best, and when they reach a point where they can’t do that, accepting that reality. Their own narrative, told over a season. Incredible sports show. It will be leading off Semi 1, or Semi Horse. Example below. If your reveal card has one of these blue or red rectangles on the right with an H, you are in Semi Horse. Counting on you to make the jokes.

馬 (‘uma’) is the kanji for horse. H stands for, probably ponies idk.

Zombieland Saga is an anime based around the politics of localism, diversity and acceptance. Set in the southwestern prefecture (county) of Saga, one man reincarnates a bunch of long-dead LEGENDARY idols as zombies, puts magic makeup on them and sends them out as a local idol group with the focus on ‘saving the town’. It is, really, a way to trick normal people into watching an idol show. Not that people who willingly watch other idol shows like Love Live or the Idolmasters aren’t normal, they’re fantastic people, but it’s a hook more than any sort of Walking Dead horror-esque. With each member of the group from a different time period, they each get different character arcs as they work towards musical dominance, and there really is some rather good J-pop out of it. They will be representing Semi 2, or Semi Zombie. If your reveal card has a blue or red rectangle with a Z on it, you are in Semi Zombie.

甦 (‘yomigae’) is the kanji for resurrection – zombies don’t have their own kanji. Z stands for the Z-word.

Why not 1 and 2? Because 1 and 2 are boring. I hope this is clear enough. Plus there’s enough to contrast between the two shows (like reincarnation vs resurrection for their methods) that I feel like making the semis into competitors against each other is fun.

Both shows have some characters represented in the reveal to follow. Not everyone, there aren’t enough characters in these two shows for everyone, but I tried to get all of the main characters from these two represented as a priority. I’ll be shouting them out. NB: there are some horse characters in Semi 2 and some zombie characters in Semi 1 as I randomised the semis after assigning characters – if I say HORSE ALERT or ZOMBIE ALERT it doesn’t change what semi you are in, the picture is always correct. NB2: The zombie idols are fictional. The horses, as in the real world horses, are not fictional. Wiki them.

If you have a character from another anime it’s based on some association with your artist or song title with the character's name, mannerisms, occupation or interests or anything else related to them. Because I like doing incredibly thin stretches of connections.

The autoqualifier will have this 安‘(‘an’) is the kanji for relaxation, peaceful, ‘cheap’ (lol), and the meaning I’m trying to convey here, ‘safety’ – the word ‘anzen’ (安全) which means ‘safety’, is more literally translated as ‘complete peace’.

As in below:

We will reveal starting from the Autoqualifier, the winner of the previous contest, as there are an odd number of entrants, they are the only autoqualifier, followed by the runner up. Then we will alternate between a finalist and a non-qualifier from the previous edition. Additionally, each reveal will focus on the nation’s previous 3 results.

TL;DR: I like BJSC because it has a narrative, the reveal will be aimed at focusing on that as well as presenting the entries. Also, if your entry card has an H, you are in Semi 1, if it has a Z, you are in Semi 2. If you have an A, you are FARC and you are autoqualified.

Anyway, (H)eins, Zwei, drei!

(well, in like 15 minutes to give you all time to read this)

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 04:00 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

Recent National History

BJSC 135 - Stockholm Noir - Boy Like A Girl (feat. Ofelia) – 1st
BJSC 134 - Ane Brun - Take Hold Of Me – 1st
BJSC 133 - ASHS - Don't Call Me – 5th

FARC are our reigning champions as we head into this BJSC – with two wins in a row. They also scored a 5th place the contest before that, will ‘Move With Me’ continue their legacy of success? Is the Triple Crown in sight? Only Aeroche have ever achieved it before, almost 90 contests ago.

Entrant History

Mad Circuit, LG (Team Genius) and Sereda are all making their debut in BJSC. Mad Circuit is a project headed by Norwegian producer Joachim “JR” Rygg. LG is an up and coming musical artist from Philadelphia.

FARC will be autoqualified for this contest as the defending champions. They will vote in both semis.

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 04:02 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

Recent National History

BJSC 135 – Chariot - Sky Wheel – 2nd
BJSC 134 – Fear Of Tigers - I Hope You Know – 27th
BJSC 133 – Aeroche // DJ Seinfeld - Dreams Of U And Me Above The Mezcal Moon – 4th

Perennial contenders Aeroche have had two top 5s in the last three contests, will Motiv8 score another success for them for their return in representing the nation?

Entrant History

Motiv8, an alias of Eurodance producer Steve Rodway, came 3rd in BJSC 99 for, once again, Aeroche with ‘Rockin’ For Myself’. They were also a remixing artist on #00274E’s Crush ‘Jellyhead’ in BJSC 114, coming 14th on that occasion. “Break The Chain” is a 1995 single.

Aeroche will perform 18th in Semi Final Z.

(the semis will be referred to as 'H' and 'Z' throughout this reveal to save typing).

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 8 2021, 04:05 PM
Post #11
brer

Whoops this thread is going to expose me for having not yet updated the flags for anyone who wanted to adopt the new designs made for BJSC 134 (I will be getting around to that at some point I promise, in the mean time my apologies for people being represented by outdated flags x)

Admiring the effort put into the theming here. Hoping to be a horse xx (also inb4 Cody implying he has a narrative of flopping or something)

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 04:06 PM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

Recent National History

BJSC 135 – sewerslvt – Jvnko Still Loves You – 3rd
BJSC 134 – FAKE TYPE – FAKE LAND. – DNQ
BJSC 133 – Mori Calliope – Off With Their Heads – DNQ

Hosts Séyetana came off 2, well, 3 DNQs in a row last contest by scoring a shock hit that we’re still reverberating from over here. Now, as it’s our turn to host, it’s coincided with the 100th time we’ve entered the main contest. Anniversary entry time, bitches!

Entrant History

BABYMETAL were first entered in BJSC 63 with ‘Megitsune’ by Séyetana, scoring a DNQ. The Japanese J-Pop metal hybrid subsequently became a worldwide sensation, with 3 albums released in a variety of metal styles. They were also entered in the second Masquerade spinoff with ‘Gimme Chocolate’, there ostensibly also representing Séyetana before it was revealed they were sent by Flynonnda. They won that contest.

“Road Of Resistance”, an intra-era single on both their first and second albums, features Herman Li and Sam Totman of power-metal outfit Dragonforce on guitars.

Séyetana will perform 30th in Semi Final Z.

+Quote Post
BiminiBonBoulex
post Jul 8 2021, 04:07 PM
Post #13
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Member No.: 5,342

Oooh looking forward to a contest of sky high production values based on this thread so far!

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 04:07 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Jul 8 2021, 04:05 PM) *
Whoops this thread is going to expose me for having not yet updated the flags for anyone who wanted to adopt the new designs made for BJSC 134 (I will be getting around to that at some point I promise, in the mean time my apologies for people being represented by outdated flags x)

Admiring the effort put into the theming here. Hoping to be a horse xx (also inb4 Cody implying he has a narrative of flopping or something)

Oh yes, I meant to ask you if the thread was updated. I think Greenfroze got their new design but if anyone else did remind me and I can switch them quickly.

(for what it's worth I THINK this thread will be the only time I'm using the flags, I'll use the banners I painstakingly designed for most of the contest)

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 8 2021, 04:08 PM
Post #15
brer

Living for BABYMETAL returning to the main contest again cheeseblock.png they already had some redemption by winning a spinoff but here's hoping they'll do a little better this time around in the main contest than the complete robbery of 'Megitsune'. Excellent anniversary choice x

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 04:08 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

Recent National History

BJSC 135 – Kamille – Mirror Mirror – DNQ
BJSC 134 – Lissie - Don't You Give Up On Me – 26th
BJSC 133 - Helion and Violet Days – Raindrops – 27th

Jupiterdonia qualified with two of their last entries but narrowly missed out last contest with ‘Mirror Mirror’. How will ‘Waves Of Blue’ do for them?

Entrant History

Majid Jordan are a Canadian RnB duo, probably most famous for their feature on the Drake hit “Hold On We’re Going Home” from 2013.

“Waves Of Blue” is their returning song after over a year not releasing any music.

Jupiterdonia will perform 15th in Semi Final H.

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 04:11 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

Recent National History

BJSC 135 – Hanne Mjøen - Hell With You – 4th
BJSC 134 – Mark Diamond – Monster – 41st
BJSC 125 – SAINT PHNX – Sorry - DNQ

Varakë returned after almost a year away with small smash ‘Monster’ before following it up with a huge smash with ‘Hell With You’ the following contest. Where now from here with ‘Колёса’?

Entrant History

ONINO is a first-time entrant, I can’t find much about them aside from that they are probably Russian.

Varakë will be performing 31st in Semi-Final Z.

+Quote Post
Iz 💀
post Jul 8 2021, 04:13 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

Recent National History

BJSC 135 – fred again.. – me(heavy) - DNQ
BJSC 134 – TeZATalks – Panic Attack – 18th
BJSC 133 – So Below – Breathe – 10th

After narrowly missing out on the final last contest, Elëdan are back with a vengeance, bringing an artist called JACKIE EXTREME to the table.

ZOMBIE ALERT: Eledan are represented by the extreme Zombie Number Zero – the Legendary TAE YAMADA. Who is known for being THE LEGENDARY TAE YAMADA. No questions.

Entrant History

ј𝕒𝕔𝐤ι乇 έ𝐗ţ尺𝐄мE seems EXTREME. This is their first time in the BJSC.

Elëdan will be performing 22nd in Semi Final Z.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jul 8 2021, 04:14 PM
Post #19
brer

'Waves Of Blue' is my favourite of the few Majid Jordan songs I have heard outside of the Drake collab, interested to see if it will do well here, could see it going either way really. (For what it's worth it did do well over on PopJustice though ofc that doesn't always translate here)

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Jul 8 2021, 04:14 PM
Post #20
#TeamAnneMarie
Member No.: 11,421

ooh Waves of Blue! Known that for a few months but hadn't considered for BJSC. Very much in the same vein as Hold On We're Going Home was.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2021 - 09:26 PM