BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack's favourite Number 1 of 2021 - the results!, Full results on Page 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JulianT
post 26th January 2022, 08:45 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

Thank you very much to the 54 people who voted in this! The votes have all been counted and verified and the results will be counted down here over the coming days. Do join in with your comments, reactions and predictions.

Who do you think will win? Could it be Lil Nas X with his autobiographical number? How will Adele fare with her comeback? Will Little Mix go out on a high with their last #1 as a foursome being crowned Buzzjack's Number 1 of the year? Olivia managed 2 in the official Top 3 of the year but will she repeat that here? How will Buzzjack fave Dua do with her Elton duet? How will Buzzjack not so fave Ed do with his 4 entries?

The contenders:
Little Mix – Sweet Melody
Olivia Rodrigo – Drivers License
Nathan Evans, 220 Kid and Billen Ted – Wellerman
Lil Nas X – Montero (Call Me By Your Name)
Russ Millions and Tion Wayne – Body
Olivia Rodrigo – Good 4 U
Ed Sheeran – Bad Habits
Ed Sheeran – Shivers
Elton John and Dua Lipa – Cold Heart
Adele – Easy On Me
Ed Sheeran and Elton John – Merry Christmas
LadBaby featuring Ed Sheeran and Elton John – Sausage Rolls For Everyone

A reminder of the 2020 results:

01 549 The Weeknd - Blinding Lights
02 476 Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande - Rain On Me
03 376 Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
04 366 Joel Corry featuring MNEK - Head & Heart
05 321 SAINt JHN - Roses
06 285 Wham! - Last Christmas
07 251 Ariana Grande - positions
08 234 Cardi B featuring Megan Thee Stallion - WAP
09 228 Billie Eilish - No Time to Die
10 209 24kGoldn featuring iann dior - Mood

11 167 DaBaby featuring Roddy Ricch - ROCKSTAR
12 161 Lewis Capaldi - Before You Go
13 90 Jawsh 685 and Jason Derulo - Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat)
14 80 Stormzy featuring Ed Sheeran and Burna Boy - Own It
15 70 Internet Money and Gunna featuring Don Toliver and NAV - Lemonade
16 63 Live Lounge Allstars - Times Like These
17 50 Eminem featuring Juice WRLD - Godzilla
18 44 Drake - Toosie Slide
19 38 LadBaby - Don't Stop Me Eatin'
20 12 Michael Ball, Captain Tom Moore and The NHS Voices of Care Choir - You'll Never Walk Alone

So 20 different lead artists featured in 2020 and only 9 in 2021. And the only artist to have featured in both years as a lead is of course.... LadBaby! cheer.gif

Speaking of which, the first elimination will be coming later today. I wonder who it might be thinking.gif .

This post has been edited by JulianT: 7th February 2022, 05:28 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 26th January 2022, 08:56 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

LadBaby for the win in this with Little Mix last.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 26th January 2022, 03:06 PM
Post #3
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Lmao at the difference of diversity / number of #1s just between 2020 and 2021 laugh.gif 2022 is already looking more interesting as well just 3 weeks in.

Hoping for Little Mix to not win this, any of the other realistic contenders would be fine. Rooting for Adele x

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 26th January 2022, 03:07 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

rooting for Good 4 U

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 26th January 2022, 05:20 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Number 12 – 43 points

LadBaby featuring Ed Sheeran and Elton John
Sausage Rolls For Everyone

Sales to the end of 2021: 161,000

Highest ratings:
+10 x1 (Dobbo.)
+7 x1 (WhoOdyssey)
+6 x1 (rio309)

Lowest ratings:
0 – 42 voters!

I’m sure this finishing last is not a surprise, but the scale of it was really quite something. With only one 0 rating available you might have expected it to pick up a few more default points, but no fewer than 42 of the 54 voters were happy to give it their one and only 0. It didn’t receive a single +12 and only the 3 voters listed placed it in their top half! Sorry Dobbo.
No sausage rolls for any of Buzzjack then, but here is where the competition really begins as everything else picked up a decent level of support. So who has just missed the Top 10?

Biography

Mark Ian Hoyle (born 12 April 1987), commonly known by his Internet pseudonym LadBaby, is a British blogger, YouTuber, social media personality and musician from Nottingham, England. His video content focuses on his experiences as a father, and is filmed with his wife, Roxanne Zee Hoyle. The couple had the Christmas number one on the UK Singles Chart in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 with the novelty songs "We Built This City", "I Love Sausage Rolls", "Don't Stop Me Eatin’” and “Sausage Rolls for Everyone” respectively. This made LadBaby the first act to secure four consecutive Christmas number ones, surpassing the previous record of The Beatles and the Spice Girls. - Wikipedia

+Quote this post
Notorious D.O.T
post 26th January 2022, 05:24 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 122,344

43 points too many for that shit

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 26th January 2022, 05:26 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Yes maaate, same again next year.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 26th January 2022, 06:28 PM
Post #8
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I have enjoyed Ladbaby's presence in the past, but this year felt a lot more cynical with Ed and Elton roped in, a current number 1 cover that felt especially lazy even for him, and the constant patting himself on the back about charity. I think it may be time to stop x

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 26th January 2022, 07:23 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,383

It may have been somewhat tolerable if there wasn’t so much spoken word guff in it

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 26th January 2022, 08:14 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

As its for charity, its been stomached for 3 years.
But the 4th year and it being what it was just made this unbearable.

Don't get me wrong... I like Ed and I enjoy Merry Christmas. But this was just unnecessary.

This post has been edited by CJK: 26th January 2022, 08:14 PM

+Quote this post
BOOBA GRANDE
post 26th January 2022, 08:16 PM
Post #11
Group icon
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
User: 5,591

QUOTE(Dorothea @ Jan 26 2022, 09:24 PM) *
43 points too many for that shit

Seems like when you only have 12 number ones, you will still grab some points. 12 out of 54 voters didn’t place it last, and it was enough to grab more points than any of the bottom-2 of last year.

This post has been edited by Zárate: 26th January 2022, 08:17 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 26th January 2022, 08:26 PM
Post #12
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

No shocks there and fully deserved, unfunny joke remains unfunny for fourth year in a row. Don't blame Ed and Elton for hopping on and raising money for charity is never bad but I wish they'd at least put a LITTLE effort into making better songs sad.gif

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 27th January 2022, 05:53 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Number 11 – 182 points

Ed Sheeran and Elton John
Merry Christmas

Sales to the end of 2021: 313,400

Highest ratings:
+12 x1 (WhoOdyssey)
+10 x3 (gooddelta, rio309, JulianT)

Lowest ratings:
+1 x13 (Bjork, JackTheeStallion, Boymetworld91, Frenchie, chrissmith276, Nick F1, Dot Branning, Zárate, oof, Ansel, Waverly, bludmonday, alby)
0 x2 (SevenSeize, coi)

It was extremely tight between this and #10, but both the Christmas period Number Ones are out first. However, this did receive more than 4 times as many points as the song it sandwiched at Number One, with 50 of 54 voters ranking the original higher than the sausage roll re-make.
I don’t know if Christmas songs tend to fare worse in polls done in dull January when the festive period couldn’t be further away, but Mariah and Wham! did quite well last year so it seems that for most voters “Merry Christmas” just didn’t stand up to most of the year’s other chart toppers. Of course Ed and Elton are both still in the running despite two losses – surely #10 won’t also be featuring one of them?

Biography

Ed Sheeran
There’s a lovely moment a little ways into Apple Music’s Songwriter documentary about Ed Sheeran in which Sheeran, jet-lagged and carrying a cup of tea, straggles out into a yard in Malibu at dawn, sits down at his laptop and begins writing a song about the moment right in front of him: the crisp air, the birdsong, the hot tea, the day ahead. He gets a full verse in, melody and all, then pauses. “Songs are weird things,” he says. “How so?” an interviewer asks. “They just come and go,” Sheeran says, smiling. “And they never give you any warning.” For Sheeran, they seem to come pretty reliably. Born in 1991 in Halifax, England, he started out gigging on the UK pub circuit before releasing his first studio album, +, in 2011, and has since become one of the most unstoppable singer-songwriters in music, forging a light blend of folk, pop, hip-hop and dance that feels slick but lived-in, intimate but universal. Whether on his own (“Sing”, “The A Team”, “Shape of You”, “Perfect”) or in collaboration with artists from Taylor Swift to Eminem to Justin Bieber, Sheeran has a unique ability to strike a chord that feels both bittersweet and redemptive, good-natured and genuine: the hopeless romantic who convinces you he might just be right. In 2017, he was made a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, touching Prince Charles on the arm while shaking his hand—a breach of royal protocol, and an appealingly human one at that. - Apple Music

Elton John
At the height of the fever dream that was Elton John’s life in the ’70s, the singer-songwriter had the optician Dennis Roberts design a pair of giant, sculptural glasses studded with 57 battery-powered lights in the shape of the name Elton—to the tune of about $5,000. Adjusted for inflation, you’re talking about something more like $25,000. But John had a show to put on, and wouldn’t that be something to talk about?

The excess was always apparent: the rhinestones, the costumery, the old Hollywood glamour retrofitted for a new, gender-bending world. But beneath the feathers, John’s music—written with the lyricist Bernie Taupin—was direct and unpretentious, the kind of rock ’n’ roll storytelling that met you where you were. Even if you didn’t know exactly what it meant—who is the dancer, and why are they so tiny?—the feeling was immediate, universal. By 1973’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, John said they were writing a couple of songs at breakfast and recording them before lunch. This was pop music, John argued: You weren’t supposed to think about it too much, and god help you if you did. And yet here we are, singing the songs five decades later.

Born Reginald Dwight in Pinner, England, in 1947, John took to the piano young, studying on a scholarship at the Royal Academy of Music while obsessively listening to Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. They were so physical, John marvelled—they didn’t just play the piano, they beat it. He started playing in pubs at 15 and, around 20, met Taupin through a want ad in a music magazine.

There were good years and bad ones, highs and lows—that handful of Valium before jumping into the swimming pool in 1975, for example, or the disco album, which John himself described as jumping on a dying bandwagon—but he has always endured, emerging from the debauchery of the ’70s and redefinitions of the ’80s bruised but never beaten, a gay icon, AIDS activist, philanthropist, Knight Bachelor, and father of two. In 2018, nearly 50 years after his debut album, he embarked on a three-year farewell tour, and published his first autobiography, Me, in 2019. The host of Apple Music 1’s Rocket Hour, Elton has been the recipient of countless awards (Grammys, Oscars, BRITs, Tonys, Ivors), has been knighted by Queen Elizabeth II and, in 2020, was awarded the Companion of Honour.
- Apple Music

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 27th January 2022, 05:56 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

When I first heard Merry Christmas, I thought it was pretty genius. It was like a Christmas paint-by-numbers Song and that's no bad thing when you're wrapped up in the festivities.

But although I like it and think I gave it some reasonable points, it think the LadBaby thing really kind of tarnished this song for me...

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 27th January 2022, 06:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

correct bottom 2

+Quote this post
chartjack2
post 27th January 2022, 06:46 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,383

It’s not a bad song at all in isolation. Hopefully next year it will be played without the LadBaby association

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 27th January 2022, 06:51 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Yeh in a few years it’ll be better judged as to its legacy!

It was No1 on my PC for 3 weeks anyway and I enjoyed a new Xmas song being highly rotated!

+Quote this post
danG
post 27th January 2022, 07:13 PM
Post #18
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

ah I thought the original Edton song deserved better than second from last.
we don’t talk about the awful other version of it though.

+Quote this post
seven.
post 27th January 2022, 07:39 PM
Post #19
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

Even I couldn't hand the LadBaby song with more than a point laugh.gif granted you can't do much with the most mediocre christmas song ever written but they should stick to butchering the old karaoke classics

+Quote this post
Chartfridays
post 27th January 2022, 07:39 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 135,527

Who the hell ranked this below Body?

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »