BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ansel's 2022 Countdown, top songs underway - counting down the top ten!
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Ansel
post 30th December 2022, 09:30 PM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

50. beabadoobee - Talk
Chart peak: 9 Sales: 966,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 8
Chart run: 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 16 - 23 - 31 - 37 - X
I really love the dreamy indie rock sound beabadoobee has drifted into, and this track was the perfect introduction to her latest album Beatopia. I'd largely forgotten about the album itself, this being its biggest hit, but Talk is a song I'll always sing along to.

49. The Weeknd - Out Of Time
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 943,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 9
Chart run: 3 - 4 - 12 - 16 - 25 - 29 - 33 - 35 - 38 - X
The Weeknd released Dawn FM out of nowhere in early 2022, and this track became an instant favourite. It's a chilled out slice of 80s R&B with classic The Weeknd lyrics, and a Jim Carrey outro monologue that does slightly harm its ability to fit into a playlist.

48. Kalush Orchestra - Stefania
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 874,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 12
Chart run: 20 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 11 - 18 - 22 - 28 - 33 - 39 - X
While some might be more cynical, I can't think of a better Eurovision 2022 winner than Kalush Orchestra. Drawing heavily on Ukrainian folk music - a tactic that has worked wonders for them in recent years with SHUM - Stefania is a hugely emotional song about motherhood. However it's still a massive banger. I wish more countries would try this type of approach to Eurovision, I'm sure there's loads of traditional genres that deserve to reach a new audience.

47. Taylor Swift ft. Lana Del Rey - Snow On The Beach
Chart peak: 4 Sales: 529,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 9
Chart run: 4 - 6 - 6 - 10 - 18 - 17 - 21 - 32 - 38 - X
Taylor ft. Lana was a hugely exciting prospect and the finished product is a gorgeous track. Like any female artist whose name isn't Phoebe Bridgers featuring on a Taylor Swift song, Lana is mainly reduced to backing vocals but it's kind of fun to listen and try to spot her buried in the mix. Also Lana not even acknowledging the song's existence outside of a throwaway comment about "the beach song" is kind of iconic.

46. Charli XCX - Crash
Chart peak: 11 Sales: 345,000 (Silver) Weeks on chart: 6
Chart run: 11 - 20 - 25 - 25 - 31 - 34 - X
Charli has really perfected the art of the opening track (Next Level Charli and 'pink diamond' are elite), and Crash perfectly sums up the album. New jack swing meets hyperpop to create the perfect duo, and the lyrics about crashing a car are absolute textbook Charli (every Charli song contains lyrics about car crashes or cheating on her boyfriend. I assume it's a contractual obligation). I have nothing more to say about this song except Himalayas fancam:

(Around the time the album came out I met up with a friend who I hadn't seen in over a year, he started to say "have you seen the..." and I immediately finished the sentence "Himalayas fancam?". I think that's the true sign of friendship.)

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JSG
post 30th December 2022, 11:38 PM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Hello!

100. Harry Styles - As It Was A fab comeback for Harry. Very unexpected though! I think this is the only of his singles I've liked though and I unfortunately never got round to listening to the album.
96. Caroline Polachek - Welcome To My Island I am thrilled to see this place on your EOY despite only just being released. Unfortunately didn't make my cut off point for the EOY but should place quite highly next year.
94. Tove Lo - How Long One of the few tove tracks I never got round to chatting that I enjoyed this year but oh my gosh her album is amazing definitely in my top 5 albums of the year. And don't get me started on no one dies from love!
64. Taylor Swift - Labyrinth

Nice picks so far!

+Quote this post
conorw
post 31st December 2022, 01:01 AM
Post #63
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 137,667

Just checking this out now:
Its awesome to see charli as your #1 artist! I've also only discovered rosalia now with the despecha remix and its such a bop!
From your top 100, its awesome to see escapism sneaking in, Cardboard box, Memories, the loneliest, imagining and a driver saved my life!
looking forward to the top 40 and great countdown so far!

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 31st December 2022, 10:59 AM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Great to see "Out Of Time", "STEFANIA" and "Snow On The Beach" on here.
3 great songs this year.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 31st December 2022, 06:54 PM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Lightning might be my favourite Charli song overall wub.gif The chorus sounds massive and the little production choices make all the more epic.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 1st January 2023, 03:32 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(JSG @ Dec 31 2022, 12:38 AM) *
Hello!

100. Harry Styles - As It Was A fab comeback for Harry. Very unexpected though! I think this is the only of his singles I've liked though and I unfortunately never got round to listening to the album.
96. Caroline Polachek - Welcome To My Island I am thrilled to see this place on your EOY despite only just being released. Unfortunately didn't make my cut off point for the EOY but should place quite highly next year.
94. Tove Lo - How Long One of the few tove tracks I never got round to chatting that I enjoyed this year but oh my gosh her album is amazing definitely in my top 5 albums of the year. And don't get me started on no one dies from love!

Nice picks so far!

Hey James! Great choices, I'm glad you're such a Tove fan too happy.gif

QUOTE(conorw @ Dec 31 2022, 02:01 AM) *
Just checking this out now:
Its awesome to see charli as your #1 artist! I've also only discovered rosalia now with the despecha remix and its such a bop!
From your top 100, its awesome to see escapism sneaking in, Cardboard box, Memories, the loneliest, imagining and a driver saved my life!
looking forward to the top 40 and great countdown so far!

Yes Charli fans rise up! There's loads more to come from her. Glad you're getting into Rosalía too, she's absolutely brilliant and DESPECHÁ is such a banger.

QUOTE(Sergej @ Dec 31 2022, 11:59 AM) *
Great to see "Out Of Time", "STEFANIA" and "Snow On The Beach" on here.
3 great songs this year.

Great choices! Stefania winning Eurovision definitely felt like a moment, a very deserving winner. It featured in the New Year's fireworks in London and sounded amazing happy.gif

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Dec 31 2022, 07:54 PM) *
Lightning might be my favourite Charli song overall wub.gif The chorus sounds massive and the little production choices make all the more epic.

Lightning is a banger so that's a great favourite Charli song! I don't know what mine would be - maybe Nuclear Seasons, New Shapes or Good Ones?

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 1st January 2023, 03:33 PM
Post #67
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

45. Beyonce - BREAK MY SOUL
Chart peak: 5 Sales: 805,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 15
Chart run: 24 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 7 - 11 - 15 - 16 - 19 - 18 - 20 - 24 - 26 - 31 - 33 - X
BREAK MY SOUL is an uplifting, hugely singable and danceable track, the perfect accessible introduction to RENAISSANCE. I'm not usually a fan of songs where the (ostensibly very rich) artist cosplays as one of us poor folk (in this case, being told to quit our jobs by Beyoncé and her $500 million net worth). But I'm making an exception here because it's a banger, actually. The samples are utilised to maximum effect (as is the case across the album), contributing to four minutes of total dancefloor euphoria. I also really love that Beyoncé decided to release the Queens remix where she shouts out black female talent in the music industry, from music legends like Grace Jones (twice!) to upcoming artists like Tierra Whack. Overall, this song deserves its place on any respectable year-end list - it's only so low here because there are other incredible RENAISSANCE tracks still to appear.

44. Charli XCX - Yuck
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 713,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 9
Chart run: 6 - 3 - 5 - 9 - 16 - 19 - 27 - 33 - 39 - X
Yuck is an ick anthem, because I feel like we've all been there (my biggest ick is woodwind instruments. If I see a trombone best believe I will be OUT of there. But that's a story for another day). This is a fun disco-pop track with a lot of personality, essentially a "no thanks" to a guy who's just a bit too clingy. Although just an album track, it had a great run on my chart.

43. Mĺneskin - SUPERMODEL
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 943,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 12
Chart run: 3 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 9 - 13 - 16 - 22 - 29 - 34 - 40 - X
SUPERMODEL is a trademark Mĺneskin banger, thankfully straying from the I Wanna Be Your Slave formula. The Max Martin assisted track features high-fashion lyrics and seemingly references that Middle Eastern riff that cropped up everywhere in mid 00s pop music (when do we get a Mĺneskin cover of Kiss Kiss??). It's a hugely infectious track that deserved more UK success, but certainly compensated with a lengthy Pestolian chart run.

42. Kurs Valüt - Nomer
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 782,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 4 - 3 - 4 - 9 - 22 - 40 - 39 - X
Ok this isn't really a 2022 song. But I discovered it this year so it counts! This was my Worldvision entry (in the first contest of the year) when I was lucky enough to get Ukraine as my country. I discovered a lot of great tunes and this synthwave track immediately struck me. The band now reside in Berlin but originate from Dnipro, and the two cities' music scenes have clearly left their mark. I'm all about the dark synthy vibes on display here, and Kurs Valüt's entire album (Veselo) is a gorgeously atmospheric listen if this genre is your sort of thing.

41. Carly Rae Jepsen - Talking To Yourself
Chart peak: 2 Sales: 621,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 12
Chart run: 15 - 2 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 10 - 16 - 19 - 24 - 36 - 36 - 35 - X
Talking To Yourself was the perfect course correction after Beach House (a fun track that wasn't a total red flag, but probably should've been recycled as an SNL skit). It's typical Carly synth-pop perfection, with lyrics about wondering whether an ex still thinks about you (again, fairly standard CRJ fare). While I wish the album had been more in the vein of Western Wind, this song has become a Carly staple in a very short time.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 1st January 2023, 10:36 PM
Post #68
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Now that we've reached the top 40, it's time for a quick interlude! (I did promise some chart stats that are interesting to no one except me x) Service will resume shortly following the...
NOT 2022 COUNTDOWN
Since the year is officially over, my last.fm stats are set in stone. So here are a few lists of my most-streamed albums/songs in 2022 that came out prior to 2022! I've split the lists into 2021 and pre-2021, since some 2021 songs were hits into the beginning of this year.

Biggest 2021 albums in 2022:
1. Angčle - Nonante-cinq
2. Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version)
3. Taylor Swift - Fearless (Taylor's Version)
4. Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed
5. Lady Gaga - Dawn Of Chromatica
6. Tinashe - 333
7. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
8. Lorde - Solar Power
9. Clairo - Sling
10. Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever

Biggest catalogue (pre-2021) albums in 2022:
1. Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
2. Taylor Swift - folklore
3. Taylor Swift - Lover
4. Taylor Swift - Speak Now
5. Taylor Swift - Reputation
6. Kylie Minogue - Fever
7. Lady Gaga - ARTPOP
8. Lady Gaga - Born This Way
9. Taylor Swift - 1989
10. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

Biggest 2021 songs in 2022:
1. Angčle - Bruxelles je t’aime
2. MUNA ft. Phoebe Bridgers - Silk Chiffon
3. ROSALÍA ft. The Weeknd - LA FAMA
4. Caroline Polachek - Bunny Is A Rider
5. Charli XCX ft. Christine and the Queens & Caroline Polachek - New Shapes
6. ELIO ft. Charli XCX - CHARGER
7. Taylor Swift - All Too Well
8. Mitski - The Only Heartbreaker
9. Angčle - Libre
10. Clairo - Amoeba

Biggest catalogue (pre-2021) songs in 2022:
1. Sky Ferreira - Everything Is Embarrasing
2. Lady Gaga - Monster
3. Taylor Swift - cardigan
4. Taylor Swift - august
5. Lady Gaga - I Like It Rough
6. Taylor Swift - Cruel Summer
7. Dua Lipa - Love Is Religion (The Blessed Madonna Remix)
8. Lady Gaga - LoveGame
9. Dua Lipa - Love Again
10. Kylie Minogue - Love At First Sight

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 2nd January 2023, 01:09 PM
Post #69
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Loving all the Charli songs appearing! BREAK MY SOUL is amazing too, my favourite Beyoncé track in ages!

+Quote this post
Lunar
post 2nd January 2023, 05:47 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 73,703

My favourites so far:
54. Sigrid - A Driver Saved My Life
63. Charli XCX - Lightning
68. Taylor Swift - Bigger Than The Whole Sky
92. FLO - Cardboard Box
97. RAYE ft. 070 Shake - Escapism.
100. Harry Styles - As It Was

RENAISSANCE, Hold The Girl, Midnights, Dawn FM & Harry’s House are my favourites from your top albums! wub.gif

Loving all the Taylor in your last.fm stats too, and looking forward to seeing your top 40! *.*

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 2nd January 2023, 07:45 PM
Post #71
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

hi.gif Ansel and happy new year to you! Catching up since my last comment. These were standouts for me:

79. Soccer Mommy - Shotgun
78. Christine and the Queens - Je te vois enfin
59. Charli XCX - Constant Repeat
55. Tove Lo ft. SG Lewis - Pineapple Slice
53. Mareux - The Perfect Girl
50. beabadoobee - Talk
46. Charli XCX - Crash
44. Charli XCX - Yuck

Soccer Mommy also made my countdown with Shotgun only a couple places higher wub.gif All the Charli tracks have reminded me to revisit the album again which I haven't done in a while. Mareux was a fab BJSC entry by you. Pineapple Slice possibly the most sexy song of the year. Break My Soul was a great comeback and great to hear that inspired house sound on mainstream radio again. I think it only peaked at 20 something for me though which I kind of regret now in hindsight.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 2nd January 2023, 09:26 PM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jan 2 2023, 01:09 PM) *
Loving all the Charli songs appearing! BREAK MY SOUL is amazing too, my favourite Beyoncé track in ages!

Thanks Joseph! The whole RENAISSANCE era definitely turned me into a Beyoncé fan after not really bothering to pay attention before. There's more from both Charli and Bey to come!

QUOTE(Lunar @ Jan 2 2023, 05:47 PM) *
My favourites so far:
54. Sigrid - A Driver Saved My Life
92. FLO - Cardboard Box
97. RAYE ft. 070 Shake - Escapism.
100. Harry Styles - As It Was

RENAISSANCE, Hold The Girl, Midnights, Dawn FM & Harry’s House are my favourites from your top albums! wub.gif

Loving all the Taylor in your last.fm stats too, and looking forward to seeing your top 40! *.*

Great choices! I'm glad you enjoyed all those albums too. Taylor definitely soundtracked a lot of my year and I really got into some of her older albums - especially Speak Now wub.gif Thanks Lunar!

QUOTE(k👠th @ Jan 2 2023, 07:45 PM) *
hi.gif Ansel and happy new year to you! Catching up since my last comment. These were standouts for me:

59. Charli XCX - Constant Repeat
55. Tove Lo ft. SG Lewis - Pineapple Slice
50. beabadoobee - Talk
46. Charli XCX - Crash
44. Charli XCX - Yuck

Soccer Mommy also made my countdown with Shotgun only a couple places higher wub.gif All the Charli tracks have reminded me to revisit the album again which I haven't done in a while. Mareux was a fab BJSC entry by you. Pineapple Slice possibly the most sexy song of the year. Break My Soul was a great comeback and great to hear that inspired house sound on mainstream radio again. I think it only peaked at 20 something for me though which I kind of regret now in hindsight.

Hey Kath, happy new year to you too! Impeccable taste with those choices. The whole Crash album doesn't get old for me, it sounds so good every time. Glad you liked Mareux too, that was my first entry of 2022 so I need to find something for 2023 to live up to it! drama.gif Pineapple Slice's lyrics are definitely iconic, and Break My Soul is such a banger, always here for that house sound.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 2nd January 2023, 09:27 PM
Post #73
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

40. Taylor Swift - You’re On Your Own, Kid
Chart peak: 5 Sales: 529,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 5 - 8 - 13 - 16 - 27 - 25 - 25 - 30 - 36 - 38...
Midnights spawned a number of massive smash hits for me, and this is one of them. YOYOK is a hugely emotional track that looks back on Taylor's career so far. It reminds me a lot of 'cardigan' - which for me is perhaps Taylor's greatest song ever - and the bridge is one of Taylor's most powerful.

39. Charli XCX - Every Rule
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 1,081,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 15
Chart run: 2 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 6 - 7 - 11 - 16 - 22 - 30 - 33 - 35 - 36 - 36 - 38 - X
Every Rule is an interesting one - I don't think it's massively popular among fans but I am so obsessed with the synths. They remind me a lot of Feels Like Heaven by Fiction Factory which is honestly one of my favourite 80s songs. I just NEED A.G. Cook to bring that sound back into the mainstream! Now he's worked with Beyoncé I'm sure there's some strings he could pull. It's just a shame this one is about Charli cheating on her boyfriend tearsmile.gif

38. Rose Gray - Cupid
Chart peak: 2 Sales: 621,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 4 - 2 - 4 - 7 - 11 - 13 - 16 - 20 - 22 - 28 - 36 - X
Cupid was a big BJSC hit, and also a hit for me (although it debuted on my chart before being sent)! Rose occasionally has a very Kylie vibe about her, and this is one of those songs. It's a 90s-inspired anthem which proves she deserves to be so much bigger.

37. Taylor Swift - The Great War
Chart peak: 4 Sales: 552,000 (Gold) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 11 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 10 - 13 - 14 - 24 - 29 - 27...
The Great War almost missed out on a top ten placing after its first week, but it soon got stuck in my head and ended up one of the album's biggest hits. I kinda don't have much more to say about this song oops (it should be clear from some of these commentaries that I'm really grabbing at straws with what to say) but I really like it!

36. Carly Rae Jepsen - Anxious
Chart peak: 4 Sales: 621,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 6 - 7 - 7 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 6 - 10 - 12 - 15...
I can't believe this is just a bonus track - it's one of the best songs on The Loneliest Time! It's a vulnerable yet confident track with plenty of disco flair.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 3rd January 2023, 06:39 PM
Post #74
Group icon
The light will cast me aside
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey Ansel hi.gif these are my favourites since I last commented:

76. Mahmood & BLANCO - Brividi
72. AURORA - A Temporary High
65. FKA twigs feat. Rema - jealousy
61. Mĺneskin - THE LONELIEST
60. Phoebe Bridgers - Sidelines
56. Paramore - This Is Why
55. Tove Lo feat. SG Lewis - Pineapple Slice
51. Rina Sawayama - Imagining
50. beabadoobee - Talk
47. Taylor Swift feat. Lana Del Rey - Snow On The Beach

The absolute taste on display *.*

Glad to see more Soccer Mommy love on here as she really blossomed into an artist I paid more attention to this year - all thanks to 'Shotgun'.

Funnily enough I had the exact same journey with 'Brividi' laugh.gif was obsessed with it around the time of Sanremo festival but I wasn't feeling the magic during the Eurovision final so much oops sad.gif

I have completely dodged 'The Perfect Girl' on TikTok (I don't use it that much tbf) so I'm supremely grateful for you to sending that to BJSC, what a discovery wub.gif

I re-listened to Dawn FM for the first time in ages today (a bit neglected due to being released so early in 2021) and I'm still loving it. 'Out of Time' really clicked for me after it was pushed!

Some great album track picks here - e.g. for Taylor, 'Pineapple Slice' and 'Imagining' <3

+Quote this post
JSG
post 3rd January 2023, 07:14 PM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Break my soul would probably be regarded as comeback of the year were it not for Taylor gatecrashing in September. Go have her and Carly both release on the same day was phenomenal. Back to the song at hand though, this is so good. Not quite as good as some of her other material but on the whole a good bop!

Talking to yourself was my fave of the singles until surrender my heart came along but boy has beach house done a number on me now. We're talking 16 weeks I think? And it's only just hit it's peak whereas talking to yourself is long gone. Her album is still great now and I appreciate it much more than I did on release.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 3rd January 2023, 07:49 PM
Post #76
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Stefania was a fantastic Eurovision winner - one of the few songs to still be growing on me weeks after the contest.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 3rd January 2023, 08:51 PM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 3 2023, 06:39 PM) *
Hey Ansel hi.gif these are my favourites since I last commented:

76. Mahmood & BLANCO - Brividi
72. AURORA - A Temporary High
65. FKA twigs feat. Rema - jealousy
61. Mĺneskin - THE LONELIEST
60. Phoebe Bridgers - Sidelines
56. Paramore - This Is Why
55. Tove Lo feat. SG Lewis - Pineapple Slice
51. Rina Sawayama - Imagining
50. beabadoobee - Talk
47. Taylor Swift feat. Lana Del Rey - Snow On The Beach

The absolute taste on display *.*

Glad to see more Soccer Mommy love on here as she really blossomed into an artist I paid more attention to this year - all thanks to 'Shotgun'.

Funnily enough I had the exact same journey with 'Brividi' laugh.gif was obsessed with it around the time of Sanremo festival but I wasn't feeling the magic during the Eurovision final so much oops sad.gif

I have completely dodged 'The Perfect Girl' on TikTok (I don't use it that much tbf) so I'm supremely grateful for you to sending that to BJSC, what a discovery wub.gif

I re-listened to Dawn FM for the first time in ages today (a bit neglected due to being released so early in 2021) and I'm still loving it. 'Out of Time' really clicked for me after it was pushed!

Some great album track picks here - e.g. for Taylor, 'Pineapple Slice' and 'Imagining' <3

Hi Jade! Glad you had so many favourites happy.gif Shotgun was a great discovery for me too, having only heard 'rom com 2004' before it was an interesting sound change!

I do feel bad for Brividi as it felt like such a winner contender until the final! I remember telling my flatmates "this is my favourite, surefire winner"... and then it wasn't laugh.gif

Really pleased that you enjoyed The Perfect Girl so much, I think that and Hoping No One Notice are still the entries I'm most proud of.

And that's great to hear you've rediscovered Dawn FM - I was given the CD as a Christmas present and I'm coming to appreciate the whole album even more than before happy.gif

Thanks for commenting!

QUOTE(JSG @ Jan 3 2023, 07:14 PM) *

Break my soul would probably be regarded as comeback of the year were it not for Taylor gatecrashing in September. Go have her and Carly both release on the same day was phenomenal. Back to the song at hand though, this is so good. Not quite as good as some of her other material but on the whole a good bop!

Talking to yourself was my fave of the singles until surrender my heart came along but boy has beach house done a number on me now. We're talking 16 weeks I think? And it's only just hit it's peak whereas talking to yourself is long gone. Her album is still great now and I appreciate it much more than I did on release.

Carly and Beyoncé appreciation is always welcome here! Yeah the joint Midnights/Loneliest Time release was a chaotic moment for me, Midnights of course won that battle but both deserve a lot of love. Surrender My Heart is nice but I'd rank a fair few tracks above it personally. Glad you're enjoying Beach House so much though - someone has to (jk laugh.gif). Thanks James!

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 3 2023, 07:49 PM) *
Stefania was a fantastic Eurovision winner - one of the few songs to still be growing on me weeks after the contest.

It's definitely been a long-running fave for me, I'd say it's grown into my favourite from last year's contest. Thanks Pete! happy.gif

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 3rd January 2023, 08:52 PM
Post #78
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

35. Beyoncé - PURE/HONEY
Chart peak: 7 Sales: 713,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 23 - 18 - 10 - 7 - 8 - 11 - 13 - 17 - 24 - 35 - X
PURE/HONEY is an absolute highlight from RENAISSANCE (though - spoiler - one track is still to come). It feels quite hyperpop-adjacent to me - there's something very Vroom Vroom-y about some of the production here. Lyrically it's all about confidence and serving ****.

34. Carly Rae Jepsen ft. Rufus Wainwright - The Loneliest Time
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 736,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 12
Chart run: 4 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 12 - 21 - 18 - 20 - 29 - 34 - 31...
The Loneliest Time was a bit of a surprise #1 in a way - when I first listened I figured I'd just chart it in the low 20s for a week or two. But after a few more listens I came to appreciate the pop perfection that it is - and the space-pop music video complements it perfectly. The vocal style reminds me a lot of Carly's first album Tug Of War, with a disco update. I'm really glad the bridge - the most fun part of the song - took off on TikTok and brought Carly to a whole new audience.

33. Beyoncé - ALIEN SUPERSTAR
Chart peak: 9 Sales: 897,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 9 - 13 - 16 - 16 - 19 - 23 - 24 - 30 - 32 - 37 - X
The final Beyoncé track in this countdown, ALIEN SUPERSTAR is an absolute anthem. As with the rest of the album, the samples are perfectly chosen - I'm Too Sexy is fast becoming a tired sample choice but here it shines alongside the futuristic production. I'm glad this is one of the tracks that charted in the UK as it's such a banger.

32. Rose Gray - Prettier Than You
Chart peak: 8 Sales: 690,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 8
Chart run: 26 - 8 - 11 - 12 - 25 - 30 - 32 - 35 - X
Rose Gray has gone from strength to strength this year, rebounding from a brief flop era with the smash hit Cupid. She followed that up with Prettier Than You, a no-holds-barred pop anthem that you can't help wanting to dance along to.

31. Taylor Swift - Karma
Chart peak: 2 Sales: 644,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 5 - 5 - 7 - 11 - 14 - 17...
When Midnights came out, there were a few lyrics that received a lot of attention - one of these was "karma is a cat, purring in my lap cause it loves me". Allegedly people thought this was a bit cringe. But honestly 🎶Karma is my boyfriend, karma is a BOP🎶! It's fun and sometimes that's all you need, in this case it certainly is. Karma haters do not interact x

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 4th January 2023, 09:16 PM
Post #79
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

30. MisterWives - Wrongside
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 759,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 9 - 1 - 4 - 7 - 10 - 13 - 15 - 29 - 34 - 36 - 40 - X
MisterWives earned 2 #1s this year - although the lower-"selling" of the two, this is the highest in this countdown! Wrongside is the sort of pop MisterWives have excelled at in recent years, with lyrics about going through a rough patch emotionally. It's a really nice little song and has aged better than a lot of their recent discography. (One thing I will say - last time I checked the mixing for the YouTube upload of this song sounded a bit off so if it sounds a bit flat in places, try Spotify instead!)

MisterWives' EOY history:
2020 05 rock bottom
2022 30 Wrongside
2022 52 Stepped On A Bee

29. Charli XCX - Used To Know Me
Chart peak: 8 Sales: 851,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 10
Chart run: 18 - 17 - 14 - 8 - 11 - 14 - 20 - 29 - 34 - 39 - X
Used To Know Me is the UK smash that got away - this sounds like every song on Capital blended into one, with a Robin S sample and all the hallmarks of a Joel Corry summer hit. Despite that, it never feels like the "sellout" that Charli perhaps marketed it as: the music video is a lot of fun and flips the song from a breakup anthem into a leaving-my-record-label anthem.

Charli's EOY history:
2020 34 claws
2020 39 i finally understand
2021 09 Good Ones
2021 22 CHARGER (with ELIO)
2021 71 911 Remix (with Lady Gaga & A.G. Cook)
2021 96 New Shapes (ft. Christine and the Queens & Caroline Polachek)
2022 29 Used To Know Me
2022 39 Every Rule
2022 44 Yuck
2022 46 Crash
2022 59 Constant Repeat
2022 63 Lightning
2022 80 Twice

28. Carly Rae Jepsen - Western Wind
Chart peak: 3 Sales: 805,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 7
Chart run: 3 - 10 - 16 - 24 - 24 - 26 - 31 - X
After a smash era with Dedicated Side B (two #1s and countless more top tens), the chart performance of Carly's big comeback should have set off alarm bells. But that's partly due to a huge amount of competition at the time of release, and partly due to me just being totally wrong. Western Wind is one of Carly's most beautiful songs - I was super excited when I found out she was working with Rostam, and his production really shines here. The song sounds very early 00s singer-songwriter, teasing a Tug Of War esque era that turned out to be quite the opposite. The visuals are gorgeous and despite the differing genre it's a great intro to The Loneliest Time.

Carly's EOY history:
2020 03 Trouble in the Streets (with BC Unidos)
2020 10 Summer Love
2020 25 Comeback (ft. Bleachers)
2020 47 Want You In My Room
2020 59 This Love Isn't Crazy
2020 69 Never Get to Hold You
2020 73 Julien
2020 98 Let's Be Friends
2022 28 Western Wind
2022 34 The Loneliest Time (ft. Rufus Wainwright)
2022 36 Anxious
2022 41 Talking To Yourself

27. Charli XCX - Baby
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 1,173,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 4 - 1 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 12 - 20 - 24 - 35 - 36 - X
Charli channels her inner Janet Jackson on this track - before her previous album 'how i'm feeling now' she mentioned working on a "Janet album" and this certainly embodies that spirit. It's more minimal than what Charli is often known for, and the chorus (essentially just Charli saying "baby" at random intervals) takes some getting used to. But the more you listen, the more you're drawn in.

Charli's EOY history:
2020 34 claws
2020 39 i finally understand
2021 09 Good Ones
2021 22 CHARGER (with ELIO)
2021 71 911 Remix (with Lady Gaga & A.G. Cook)
2021 96 New Shapes (ft. Christine and the Queens & Caroline Polachek)
2022 27 Baby
2022 29 Used To Know Me
2022 39 Every Rule
2022 44 Yuck
2022 46 Crash
2022 59 Constant Repeat
2022 63 Lightning
2022 80 Twice

26. Caroline Polachek - Sunset
Chart peak: 1 Sales: 805,000 (Platinum) Weeks on chart: 11
Chart run: 32 - 19 - 15 - 9 - 6 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 5 - 8 - 10...
In late October, Caroline decided that enough was enough. "The main flamenco girls have had their fun, it's time for Flamencolachek," she thought. She dropped Sunset, immediately ending ROSALÍA's career and turning flamenco into Spotify's #1 genre of the year. Sunset is just such an addictive song - I saw someone on TikTok saying Caroline is in fact the last living siren and honestly, this song is pretty solid evidence.

Caroline's EOY history:
2020 11 La vita nuova (with Christine and the Queens)
2020 99 So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings
2021 16 Bunny Is A Rider
2021 47 Breathless
2022 26 Sunset
2022 96 Welcome To My Island

+Quote this post
JSG
post 5th January 2023, 08:53 AM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Hello!

Pure/honey is defiyths highlight of the album for me. I was literally gagging for it to be a single. This whole album has been a squandered mess much like Adele's kabum unfortunately.
Western wind is pretty decent though not the best comeback single I wouldn't say. She's done much better on all of her albums.
I really wish I could have likes sunset but it was a bit too far out there for me. I donlive Caroline though and her newest track is a bop!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 20th June 2024, 12:34 AM