BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

> 
8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mack's #ThrowbackThursday 00s Edition, 13th Jun & 20 Jun included.
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Roba.
post 5th November 2023, 11:36 PM
Post #81
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

A great Snow Patrol track there and I really did enjoy 'See You Again' too although a major guilty pleasure at the time and topped my chart which felt weird at the time but such a mega bop!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 9th November 2023, 03:08 PM
Post #82
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

This Week:

2000- Coldplay- Trouble

2007- Take That- Rule The World

2009- Calvin Harris- Flashback

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 16th November 2023, 03:36 PM
Post #83
Group icon

This Week:

2002- Jan Wayne- Because The Night

Which was a cover of Patti Smith's version:

And covered in 2008 by Cascada:

'Because The Night' was a cover of Patti Smith's version, this version from German DJ Jan Wayne would go on and peak at #14 in the UK, Jan Wayne also had an previous hit the previous year where he covered Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of The Heart' where that would peak at #28 in the UK. Patti Smith's original version would peak at #5 in the UK. In 2008 this once again was covered this time German dance act Cascada where their version would peak at #28 in the UK. All three versions sound great in my view.

2008- Girls Aloud- The Promise

'The Promise' was the lead single for Girls Aloud's fifth and final studio album 'Out of Control'. This would go and peak at #1 in the UK where it would become their 4th UK #1 it would stay at one week. At the time I quite liked it when it came out however my interest in this waned as it was overplayed, although now it is an poignant song following Sarah Harding's death in 2021.

2009- Robbie Williams- You Know Me

'You Know Me' was the second single from Robbie Williams' eighth studio album 'Reality Killed The Video Star'. This would go on and peak at #6 in the UK. I very much preferred this to 'Bodies'.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 16th November 2023, 04:28 PM
Post #84
Group icon
Rob aah

Sorry not sorry but I really like 'You Know Me' (which I know it's a major fave for some) and whilst not really a Christmas song at all feels Christmassy to me!

Same goes for Cascada's cover of 'Because The Night' as well kink.gif

The Jan Wayne version is good too though. 'The Promise' I did like for a while but soon got on my nerves!

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 23rd November 2023, 03:29 PM
Post #85
Group icon

This Week:

2002- Madonna- Die Another Day

Opening titles:

2004- McFly- Room On The 3rd Floor

2008- Katy Perry- Hot N Cold

Commentary will follow due to personal reasons.

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 30th November 2023, 02:26 PM
Post #86
Group icon

This Week:

2002- Britney Spears- I Love Rock 'N' Roll

'I Love Rock 'N' Roll was the fourth European single from Britney Spears' third studio album 'Britney'. This a cover version of the Arrows which was done in 1975, six years later this would be covered by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts. Britney's version would peak at #13 in the UK. This cover version is quite good from Britney, this song was used in her film from that year 'Crossroads'.

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts version:

Which was sampled by:

Original Version:

Covered by Ladbaby:

2005- The Darkness- One Way Ticket

'One Way Ticket' was the lead single from The Darkness' second studio album 'One Way Ticket to Hell...And Back. This would go on and peak at #8 in the UK. This is one that I haven't heard since this it came out.

2006- Nelly Furtado- All Good Things (Come To An End)

'All Good Things (Come to an End)' was the third European single to be released from Nelly Furtado's third studio album 'Loose'. This would go on and peak at #4 in the UK, in the US this would peak at #86 in the Billboard Hot 100. This features uncredited harmonies from Coldplay's Chris Martin. Haven't heard this for a while but it still sounds good.

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 7th December 2023, 03:00 PM
Post #87
Group icon

This Week:

2000- Bon Jovi- Thank You For Loving Me

'Thank You For Loving Me' was the third European single to be released from Bon Jovi's seventh studio album 'Crush'. This would go on and peak at #12 in the UK, in the US this would peak at #57 in the Billboard Hot 100. The first of a couple this week I haven't heard since this it came out, although I don't particularly remember this one from Bon Jovi. This sounds all right from Bon Jovi.

2001- Hear'Say- Everybody

'Everybody' was the first single to be released from Hear'Say's second studio album in a year of the same name. This would go on and peak at #4 in the UK. This was the last single to be released before Kym Marsh quit. 'Hear'Say' the original talent show band thanks to Popstars. Listening to this it sounds a bit similar to Five's 'Keep On Movin'

2005- Babyshambles- Albion

'Albion' was the third single from Babyshambles' debut album 'Down in Albion'. This would go on and peak at #8 in the UK, can't say that I remember this song certainly one I haven't heard since this came out.

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 14th December 2023, 02:50 PM
Post #88
Group icon

This Week:

2003- The Cheeky Girls- Have A Cheeky Christmas

I apologize it is a cheeseball we have The Cheeky Girls with 'Have A Cheeky Christmas'. This went on and peaked at #10 in the UK. In the music video I feel sorry for the reindeer in this as he doesn't look comfortable at all. This isn't a great Xmas song at all, I remember this was played on repeat at my house as my sister was a massive fan of the Cheeky Girls at the time. Their 3rd UK Top 10 hit to include 'Cheeky' which

2008- Kings of Leon- Use Somebody

'Use Somebody' was the second single from Kings of Leon's fourth studio album 'Only by the Night'. This went on to peak at #2 in the UK behind Leona's 'Run'. 'Use Somebody' is probably in my view the best song that Kings of Leon did and up there with one of my favourite songs of all time. I remember this being played as background music on a slideshow on my last day at high school.

2009- Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band- The Official BBC Children In Need Medley

This time, this may not be a popular choice but we have Peter Kay's 2009 Children In Need offering which featured characters from Fireman Sam, Thomas & The Tank Engine, Bob The Builder, Pingu, Rubbadubbers, Angelina Ballerina, Thunderbirds, Paddington, Bagpuss, Postman Pat, Rorary The Racing Car, Fifi and The Flowertots, The Koala Brothers, Little Robots, Muffin The Mule, The Woodentops, Bill & Ben, Andy Pandy, Pudsey, Teletubbies, In The Night Garden, The Wombles, Peppa Pig, Thunderbirds, Bagpuss, Engie Benjy, Ben 10, Scooby Doo, Sponge-Bob, Roobarb, Fluffy Gardens, Rainbow, The Sooty Show, Camberick Green and Trumpton. This somehow ended up getting to #1 in the UK,

+Quote this post
Brer
post 14th December 2023, 10:55 PM
Post #89
Group icon
stick my flag in the dirt, watch it blow
User: 8,300

The CIN Medley is a classic tho cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 19th December 2023, 02:47 PM
Post #90
Group icon

This Week:

(Doing this two days early due to being busy on Thursday)

2002- Las Ketchup- The Ketchup Song (Asereje)

'The Ketchup Song' was the debut single from Spanish group Las Ketchup. This would somehow peak at #1 in the UK. I remember this being played at discos at primary school, it's probably one of those songs that would be at most weddings, parties. There was even a Christmas version of this:

2002- Liam Lynch- United States of Whatever

86 seconds was all that was needed for this from one-hit wonder Liam Lynch. This would peak at #10 in the UK at the time this would be the shortest single to enter the UK charts before being beaten in 2007 by 'Spider Pig' and 'The Ladies' Bras'. This is great fun from Liam Lynch.

2008- Duffy- Rain On Your Parade

'Rain On Your Parade' was the fifth single from Duffy's debut album 'Rockferry'. This would go on and peak at #15 in the UK. I very much preferred to this to her UK #1 that was 'Mercy'. This was to be her last UK Top 40 hit.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 19th December 2023, 02:51 PM
Post #91
Group icon
Rob aah

Ah Las Ketchup is a bop and 'United States of Whatever' is also a funny tune.

Shame Duffy fizzled out after that big first era. They really did balls up the follow up really. 'Rain On Your Parade' was another good single from her but I do prefer the other three singles before it imo!

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 19th December 2023, 08:36 PM
Post #92
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Some interesting choices here.

"United States of Whatever" - one from the most strangest songs, which I heard. In Australia this single was peaked at # 6 and got Gold sertifiaction for sold 35.000 copies.
"Asereje" - Lithuanian girl group Mokinukes did a cover version of this hit on Lithuanian. www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V3TVm9pHxk
"Have A Cheeky Christmas" - didn't age well, but good enough for # 1 in my retrospective chart. It's their best song.
"The Official BBC Children In Need Medley" - cutest video and very rare situation, when I like various "artists" colloboration.

This post has been edited by Last Dreamer: 19th December 2023, 08:45 PM

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 4th January 2024, 03:42 PM
Post #93
Group icon

This Week:

2000- Madonna- Don't Tell Me

The first song in 2024 for this series is: Madonna with 'Don't Tell Me'. This was the second single from her eighth studio album 'Music'. This would go on and peak at #4 in the UK and in the US. Maybe a bit of an controversial opinion but I prefer this to her previous single 'Music'.

2000- Robbie Williams- Supreme

Which contained an melody of this:

'Supreme' was the third single to be released from Robbie Williams' third studio album 'Sing When You're Winning'. This would go on and peak at #4 in the UK. The music video is particularly one of my favourite music videos of the 2000s with Robbie's tribute to three-time F1 world champion Jackie Stewart. Where Robbie portrays a driver called Bob Williams where he completes for the F1 World Championship but he doesn't win the title due to getting locked in his caravan. I think that is portraying Brazilian two-time F1 world champion Emerson Fittipaldi possibly. This would contain an melody of Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive'.

2005- Nizlopi- JCB Song

'Midlands Today' was the first time that I heard this from one-hit wonders Nizlopi with 'JCB Song'. This would go on and peak at #1 in the UK. it was cosnidered to be one of the favourites for the Christmas No.1 in 2005 but was beaten by the beginning of the X Factor juggernaut this time from Shayne Ward with 'That's My Goal'. I can remember people that my high school were obsessed with the song and me getting a pasting just because I didn't like this song. Its one that you would hear on Christmas No.2 playlists or one-hit wonders.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 4th January 2024, 08:20 PM
Post #94
Group icon
Rob aah

Really like both 'Don't Tell Me' & 'Surpeme' from this weeks. 'JCB Song' is alright but a bit lame for me too x

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 11th January 2024, 01:50 PM
Post #95
Group icon

This Week:

2002- Ronan Keating ft Lulu- We've Got Tonight

'We've Got Tonight' was the third single from Ronan Keating's second studio album 'Destination' and featured on Lulu's twelfth studio album 'Together'. This would go on and peak at #4 in the UK. It is the highest charting version of this song. It isn't one that I wouldn't go back and listen to again as I'm not a fan of Lulu. The original version was Bob Seger, and in 1983 Kenny Rogers would cover this with Sheena Easton

Original:

Kenny Rogers & Sheena Easton Version:

2008- The Script- Breakeven

'Breakeven' was the third single from The Script's self-titled debut album. This would go on and peak at #21 in the UK, in the US this would outpeak its position in the UK by peaking at #12 in the Billboard Hot 100 albeit in May 2010. I quite liked this from The Script, I was quite gutted at the time that this didn't peak higher. At least James Arthur has left this alone after he plagizsed 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved'.

2009- Miley Cyrus- Party In The U.S.A.

'Party In The U.S.A.' was the lead single from Miley Cyrus' EP 'The Time of Our Lives'. This would go on and peak at #11 in the UK which at the time was her highest charting single tied with 'See You Again' and 'The Climb'. In the US this would fare better by peaking at #2 in the Billboard Hot 100. This was one that did get skipped or switched off when this used to come on, now I would listen to it for nostaglia.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 11th January 2024, 04:41 PM
Post #96
Group icon
Rob aah

'Break Even' should've swapped with 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved' for me. Shame it never did get a lift into the top 20 at the very least sad.gif still had a decent run though.

Never liked 'Party In The USA' oops and I liked pretty much all of what I heard from Miley up to that point as well!

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 11th January 2024, 08:24 PM
Post #97
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

For German speaking countries Ronan recorded a special version of "We've Got Tonight" together with Jeanette Biedermann instead Lulu.

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 17th January 2024, 02:44 PM
Post #98
Group icon

This Week:

2001- Sophie Ellis-Bextor- Murder On The Dancefloor

Be warned:

2003- Shane Richie- I'm Your Man

Which was performed on Children In Need:

Which was a cover of this:

2006- Sharam- PATT (Party All The Time)

Which was a remix of this original:

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 23rd January 2024, 02:17 PM
Post #99
Group icon

This Week: (Doing this 2 days earlier as busy on Thursday)

2002- One True Voice- Sacred Trust/After You're Gone

Popstars: The Rivals was the show that would produce two bands One True Voice and Girls Aloud (I wonder what happened to them). One True Voice would complete with Girls Aloud for the Christmas #1. They were beaten to the Christmas #1 spot by Girls Aloud with 'Sound Of The Underground'. This and 'Sound of The Underground' there wasn't much of a contest, it was definitely gonna be Girls Aloud. This was a cover of the Bee Gees version. This was the start of the beginning for One True Voice as they would release one further single 'Shakespeare's (Way With Words) which would peak at #10. In August they would split up. This wasn't a great song from One True Voice.

Bee Gees version:

2002- Cheeky Girls- Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum)

From One True Voice, an unlikely duo called The Cheeky Girls from Gabriela and Monica. This would go on somehow and peak at #2 in the UK for four non-consecutive weeks. This unfortunately was overplayed a lot at my house as my sister would keep playing the CD for this at least 20 times a day. Not one that I would go out of my way to listen to. This would later be voted the worst pop record in the 100 Worst Records which was complied by Channel 4 in January 2004. This however would probably be played at most weddings, discos, christenings.

That audition:

2005- Shayne Ward- That's My Goal

The song that would start the X Factor hold on the Christmas #1 for the next four years it is the winner's single from Shayne Ward with 'That's My Goal'. This of course would go on and get the 2005 Christmas #1. This was later included on his debut self-titled album. This would be the last original X Factor winners' song til Matt Terry's 'When Christmas Comes Around'. This is often played on those best selling singles of the 2000s countdown on music channels.

+Quote this post
SlimShadyMack
post 1st February 2024, 02:23 PM
Post #100
Group icon

This Week:

2001- S Club 7- Have You Ever

2001- Stereophonics- Handbags And Gladrags

Didn't realise this was a cover version. A haunting song from Stereophonics here.

Which was mentioned in my Top 100 Songs of the 2000s countdown I did back in 2015.

2009- Paolo Nutini- Pencil Full of Lead

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 14th June 2024, 03:20 AM