BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)
If you have forgotten your password and a recovery email has not arrived, please click here to send us an email.

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mariah Carey - Singles Rate [RESULTS], FULL RESULTS ON PAGE 13!!!
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 24th July 2023, 10:24 PM
Post #21
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

My heart races when my Motorola beeps or my cell rings

60. You Don't Know What To Do (ft Wale) | 5.95 Highest Scores: 10: (Nina West), Lowest Scores: 3/3.5: (Jessie Where, vibe, rafik4u)
59. Boy (I Need You) (ft Cam'Ron) | 5.976 Highest Scores: 9.5/9: (elgornio, Jay), Lowest Scores: 4/4.5: (Nina West, Simon, vibe, rafik4u)
58. Up Out of My Face (ft Nicki Minaj) | 6.025 Highest Scores: 10: (Josh, AaronTM), Lowest Scores: 3: (Jessie Where, Jord, vibe)
57. I Want To Know What Love Is | 6.071 Highest Scores: 10: (Herbs), Lowest Scores: 0: (Bjork)

At #60 is You Don't Know What To Do, released in June 2014 as the final single from Mariah's 14th studio album Me I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse and features rapper Wale & was written by Wale, Carey, Jermaine Dupri and Bryan-Michael Cox, with production helmed by the latter two. The song contains an interpolation of "I'm Caught Up in a One Night Affair" . The singles artwork caused controversy when the media criticised Carey for photoshopping and re-using images of herself. Mariah herself expressed discontent on the matter and stated she had no knowledge of it until the song's release. Upon release the song failed to find much success by failing to chart on any of the American charts & only managed to chart in Belgium & South Korea. This song deserved so much more & maybe if it got released as the 2nd single with a music video, then it may have had more attention as this is a stunning track with swirling disco beats mixed with elements of R&B & Gospel and of course Mariah's vibrant vocals layered over the fabulous production. This was an instant firm fave upon the album's release & an underrated gem in her discography for sure.

At #59 is Boy (I Need You), released in November 2002 as the 2nd single from Mariah's 9th studio album Charmbracelet and features American rapper Cam'Ron, where the track is actually a reworked version of one of his song's "Oh Boy". Originally 'The One' had been chosen as the album's 2nd single, however halfway through filming the music video, Mariah changed her mind & decided to release this instead. Upon release the song failed to make much impact on the charts worldwide by failing to reach the Billboard Hot 100, instead only charting in the lower reaches of the component charts. Elsewhere it managed top 20 peaks UK & Spain as well as top 40 peaks in Australia, Netherlands & Ireland. Despite being somewhat of a highlight on 'Charmbracelet' (which isn't saying much) as that said album was very weak, this feels very lightweight hip-hop & the sampled vocal doesn't really work & comes across as more annoying than adding anything to the already basic track.

At #58 is Up Out My Face, which featured on Mariah's 12th studio album Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel & was later re-recorded with Nicki Minaj for its single release in January 2010. This version was intended for a remix album titled Angels Advocate, which ended up getting scrapped. The lyrics for the song have been speculated to be directed at American rapper Eminem, whom Carey has a longstanding feud with since the early 2000's after his claims that they were in a relationship. Upon release the song gained positive reviews, but wasn't a big success by only managing the scrape the Billboard charts at #100. This is a fun little track with great vocals by both Mariah & Nicki & this is certainly one of the more lively tracks on the album with some nice repeated bass stabs & simple yet catchy R&B beats.

At #57 is I Want To Know What Love Is, Originally sung by Foreigner in 1984. Mariah covered it for her 12th studio album Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel where it was released as the 2nd single in September 2009. Upon release it experienced success in several countries such as a top 10 peak in France & top 20 peaks in Denmark, UK & Sweden. In the UK this would be her final top 20 hit to date & even managed to outperform the lead single 'Obsessed' over there. In the USA the track wasn't quite as successful by only reaching a #60 peak. This is a decent cover version where Mariah stays close to the original with its piano and finger clicks, but with more updated production & a nice gospel sounding chorus where Mariah gets to really show off her vocal power which adds a nice touch, but she's done far better covers than this in her back catalogue.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 30th July 2023, 05:42 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 25th July 2023, 12:31 AM
Post #22
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

I really liked her cover of 'I Want To Know What Love Is', not better than the fantastic Foreigner orignial of course but still I thought she did good a job with it.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th July 2023, 10:21 AM
Post #23
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I Want To Know What Love Is being pushed as the first single from the Memoirs album here in the UK wasn’t a good decision in my opinion. I think it showed a lack of confidence in the material, to try and sell it with a cover version… and it didn’t work!

In terms of Mariah’s career I’ll always be annoyed that they fumbled the bag with Obsessed in the UK. That was a big mess. IWTKWLI only outperformed Obsessed here in 2009 because Obsessed wasn’t given the opportunity to amount to much. The label got cold feet over it for some reason and cancelled it. It only charted initially because of a couple of dodgy unofficial releases, which were somehow chart eligible. The peak it achieved was stunted because of the download being pulled from sale.

Also I forgot that the UK got the Memoirs album 2 months after most countries. drama.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 25th July 2023, 10:22 AM
Post #24
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

QUOTE(Herbs @ Jul 24 2023, 12:49 PM) *
Justice for Thank God I Found You - has always been such a flawless song for me (gutted it’s so low)

Completely agree, actually probably my favourite Mariah single, so I wouldn't agree that it sounds lazy. I guess I get the comparison to One Sweet Day although had never thought about it before.

It was elevated for the UK single release by the Stargate Radio Edit, which is what was promoted here and helped it reach the top 10, for me it just adds some sparkle to the album version. The second half of the song is particularly great for me, Mariah and 98 Degrees all put in some great vocals. Also, the Make It Last remix, which is so soulful and smooth, I love it almost as much as the original, although it's a bit like those J.Lo remixes of Ain't It Funny and I'm Real in that it sounds nothing like the original, apart from sharing a title.

But yeah, for me this will always be one of the most underrated songs of her career, in terms of fan reception at least, as I guess a US No.1 and UK top 10 peak was very impressive for it.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 25th July 2023, 10:29 AM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 25th July 2023, 10:31 AM
Post #25
Group icon
Rob aah

Mariah also performed it on X Factor at the time which helped IWTKWLI get to that peak in the first place!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th July 2023, 10:34 AM
Post #26
Group icon

Always interesting just how different all of our tastes can be; sadly for me I’ve never particularly understood the appeal of Thank God I Found You. For me, it kind of meanders along uninterestingly, and then eventually it reaches a point where it’s a bit of cacophony with too many OTT ad libs fighting over each other. I find that part kind of unpleasant sounding. Evidently it was very well received by the US for it to become one of her Hot 100 #1s, but it’s by far my least fave of her #1s.

To be totally fair the StarGate remix is an improvement… but it doesn’t totally save it for me.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th July 2023, 10:41 AM
Post #27
Group icon

QUOTE(Roba. @ Jul 25 2023, 11:31 AM) *
Mariah also performed it on X Factor at the time which helped IWTKWLI get to that peak in the first place!

I have to wonder how that single & the album would have done if she hadn’t have got that X Factor exposure! drama.gif Memoirs sold 26,552 in its first week to reach #23. The #20 sold 28,750. For Memoirs to have gone Top 10, like the majority of her studio albums had managed, she would have needed over 49,485 sales.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th July 2023, 10:57 AM
Post #28
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

It's so weird what happened with 'Obsessed', I really think that had the potential to be a decent-sized hit in mid-2009.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 25th July 2023, 11:31 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Biggest shock for me: against all odds not being last!!!
And with an average >5
Was expecting more -1s smile.gif

Really like Theres got to be a Way
and Thank God I found you

Think the upbeat numbers are gonna outdo the ballads

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 25th July 2023, 11:53 AM
Post #30
Group icon
sick nasty
User: 13,530

Honestly I Want to Know What Love Is served its purpose in this x

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th July 2023, 12:31 PM
Post #31
Group icon

^ !!!! her power tbh x

Some other UK first week sales I managed to find if anyone is interested to see. Memoirs one of her strongest first weeks but has the perception of being a flop! That's the risk of a Q4 release back then...

75,000 - Daydream (#1, 1995)
56,000 - Music Box (#1, 1993)
38,000 - #1's (#10, 1998)
34,769 - E=MC² (#3, 2008)
28,758 - Butterfly (#2, 1997)
26,552 - Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel (#23, 2009)
26,000 - Rainbow (#8, 1999)
20,876 - The Emancipation of Mimi (#7, 2005)
19,000 - Charmbracelet (#52, 2002)
18,000 - Greatest Hits (#46, 2001) {"fewer than 18,000"} [peaked at #7 in 2005]
11,190 - The Ballads (#17, 2008) [peaked at #13 in 2008]
9,314 - #1 to Infinity (#8, 2015)
6,547 - Me. I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse (#14, 2014)
3,357 - Caution (#40, 2018)
2,536 - Merry Christmas II You (#101, 2010) [missed out on Top 100 by 6 sales drama.gif ]
2,393 - The Rarities (#44, 2020)
1,232 - Mariah Carey's Magical Christmas Special (#154, 2020) [peaked at #106 in 2022]

I couldn't find these unfortunately:

Mariah Carey (#6, 1990)
Emotions (#10, 1991) [peaked at #4 in 1992]
MTV Unplugged (#3, 1992)
Merry Christmas (#45, 1994) [peaked at #32 in 1994]
Glitter (#10, 2001)
The Remixes (#35, 2003)

+Quote this post
Davidson
post 25th July 2023, 12:34 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847

Crybaby and Sweetheart the biggest casualties so far for me!

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 25th July 2023, 05:12 PM
Post #33
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Didn't she perform 'I Stay In Love' on The X Factor in 2008??

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 25th July 2023, 08:06 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

I really enjoy all of the last 4, not sure i’d call any classics, however all very good!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 25th July 2023, 08:57 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Rob aah

QUOTE(Mack. @ Jul 25 2023, 06:12 PM) *
Didn't she perform 'I Stay In Love' on The X Factor in 2008??

She did!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 25th July 2023, 10:08 PM
Post #36
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

True love's a gift, we let it drift in a storm

56. Loverboy (ft Cameo) | 6.095 Highest Scores: 10: (Jay), Lowest Scores: 3: (Nina West, Lukuzz)
55. Angels Cry (ft Ne-Yo) | 6.119 Highest Scores: 9.5: (AaronTM), Lowest Scores: 4: (Davidson, Jessie Where, Jade, vibe, rafik4u, dandy*)
54. You're Mine (Eternal) | 6.2 Highest Scores: 9.5: (Jay), Lowest Scores: 3: (vibe)
53. The Art of Letting Go | 6.225 Highest Scores: 10: (Lukuzz), Lowest Scores: 3: (Josh, vibe)

At #56 is the controversial Loverboy, released in June 2001 as the lead single from Mariah's 8th studio album Glitter, which also acted as the soundtrack to the movie of the same name. The song is built around a sample from "Candy" by the funk band Cameo, who are also featured on the track. There's also a lot of controversy surrounding the song, following confirmed reports that Jennifer Lopez and Tommy Mottola (Carey's ex-husband) stole the idea of sampling the singer's original planned sample, Yellow Magic Orchestra's "Firecracker", over a month after Carey had signed for it. So Mariah had to change the melody and rush to find another sample due to the time constraints. There was also media around Mariah during the promotion which I won't go into, but let's just say that none of it was any good. Upon release the track received very mixed reviews & initially it stalled on the American Billboard charts due to weak airplay, but did manage to climb to #2 due to Virgin discounting the CD for 49 cents. At the time this was Mariah's first lead single not to reach the #1 spot. Elsewhere it did have some success by topping the charts in Croatia & hit top 10 peaks in Australia & Canada, but failed to garner strong elsewhere. The track does have a fun slinky pop funk vibe to it, but this has never been one of my fave singles from Mariah and even after all these years I struggle to find a connection to it, due to the cluttered production & even Mariah's vocals sound very subdued on it. I've never found this a very strong lead single & its not hard to see why it underperformed.

At #55 is Angels Cry which featured on Mariah's 12th studio album Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel & was later remixed for its single release to feature Ne-Yo & was meant for the remix album Angels Advocate which ultimately got shelved. The song was written and produced by Mariah, Tricky Stewart and James "Big Jim" Wright, with additional songwriting from Crystal Johnson. Upon release the track was released to rhythmic contemporary and urban contemporary radio in the United States where it only made minor impact on its component charts & only managed to chart in Japan, UK & South Korea where it only managed to peak in the lower regions of those countries. This is quite an underrated little number which opens with slow simple piano notes and when the rhythm picks up it really shows off some nice vocal harmonies from both artists. It's a shame that this version isn't on streaming, but at least we still have the lovely original album version.

At #54 is You're Mine (Eternal), released in February 2012 as the 3rd single from Mariah's 14th studio album Me I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse & was written and produced by Carey with Rodney Jerkins. An R&B song, the lyrics revolve around the singer reminiscing about a past lover. Upon release the song experienced very minor success by reaching a #88 peak on the Billboard charts & hit a #87 in the UK. Elsewhere it did manage a top 20 peak in Hungary & hit top 40 peak in Spain. This is a twinkling and intimate ballad that Mariah does best, a nice slow burning R&B number with sparse production and a nice passionate chorus, sure this will never rank up there with some of Mariah's finer ballads, but its a nice little modern take.

At #53 is another Me I Am Mariah single The Art of Letting Go, released in November 2013 as the first promotional single (second overall) from the album, following a digital release the same day worldwide. The song was actually the original title for her then upcoming album, which was then due for a Spring 2014 release, but Mariah stated that the album wasn't ready to release the album as well as sustaining an injury to her shoulder while filming the music video to the remix version of her hit single '#Beautiful'. Upon release due to the several album delays the song didn't make the standard edition of the album, instead only featured on the deluxe edition. The song garnered critical acclaim upon release, but didn't find much chart success by peaking in the lower regions of the charts in Australia, UK, Italy, France & Ireland. In the USA it failed to enter the Hot 100, instead peaked at #119 on the Bubbling Under chart. This is a beautiful stripped back orchestral R&B ballad with smooth production and of Mariah's gorgeous vocals which sound absolutely serene on this simple yet refined number.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 9th August 2023, 03:44 PM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 25th July 2023, 10:31 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Rob aah

'Angels Cry' I remember being quite good.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th July 2023, 11:31 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I like the original but the Vintage Throwback remix of 'Triumphant' is far superior! I get the covers of 'Against All Odds' and 'I Want to Know What Love Is' aren't usually fondly thought of but I actually really enjoy them and dare say I prefer to the more well-known versions.

'Loverboy' is far too high, that would have been my first out. My 4 was actually quite generous.

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jul 25 2023, 11:21 AM) *
In terms of Mariah’s career I’ll always be annoyed that they fumbled the bag with Obsessed in the UK. That was a big mess. IWTKWLI only outperformed Obsessed here in 2009 because Obsessed wasn’t given the opportunity to amount to much. The label got cold feet over it for some reason and cancelled it. It only charted initially because of a couple of dodgy unofficial releases, which were somehow chart eligible. The peak it achieved was stunted because of the download being pulled from sale.

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Jul 25 2023, 11:34 AM) *
Always interesting just how different all of our tastes can be; sadly for me I’ve never particularly understood the appeal of Thank God I Found You. For me, it kind of meanders along uninterestingly, and then eventually it reaches a point where it’s a bit of cacophony with too many OTT ad libs fighting over each other. I find that part kind of unpleasant sounding. Evidently it was very well received by the US for it to become one of her Hot 100 #1s, but it’s by far my least fave of her #1s.

To be totally fair the StarGate remix is an improvement… but it doesn’t totally save it for me.

Agreed on both points! I loved 'Obsessed' when it was first released, I always remember seeing it on the music channels and I wasn't following the charts at that point so it was only later I realised it's release was cancelled and performed the way it did. I'm happy it's received its flowers eventually.

I kept returning to 'Thank God I Found You' but just couldn't get into it either. I can't even remember how it goes thinking about it now!

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jul 25 2023, 12:53 PM) *
Honestly I Want to Know What Love Is served its purpose in this x

Iconic! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th July 2023, 11:40 PM
Post #39
Group icon

Nothing but respect for the biggest selling single of 2001, Loverboy! *.* Lol, it is true that it was the best selling physical single in the US in 2001. Destiny’s Child also did a price reduction for Bootylicious in the same week, seemingly as a retaliation to Mariah’s 49 cents price - their label was Columbia, which was Mariah’s former label. I’ve always found Loverboy to be a lot of fun, it’s honestly a fave of mine. I remember the music video coming on quite regularly on the music channels. The eventually released “Firecracker” version makes for an interesting listen, how it was intended to be. It’s certainly a more frantic listen than the “Candy” version. Impossible to know whether it would have been any better received in that version.

Angels Cry charting in the UK was odd because the Ne-Yo version was never made available here, so technically he doesn’t deserve the credit. thinking.gif It’s a lovely song!

You’re Mine (Eternal) - one of my Mariah favourites, which I appreciate is a bit random! I just love it a lot for some reason.

I’ve never really got to grips with The Art of Letting Go though. It’s a very wordy song that doesn’t leave much of an impression on me.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th July 2023, 11:52 PM
Post #40
Group icon

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Jul 26 2023, 12:31 AM) *
'Against All Odds' - dare say I prefer to the more well-known version.

I know it’s sacrilegious, but honestly, same. blush.gif I guess it’s just because it’s the first version I knew.

'Loverboy' is far too high, that would have been my first out. My 4 was actually quite generous.

Not this. cry.gif In this essay, I shall explain why Loverboy is a misunderstood career highlight… ( kink.gif )

Agreed on both points! I loved 'Obsessed' when it was first released, I always remember seeing it on the music channels and I wasn't following the charts at that point so it was only later I realised it's release was cancelled and performed the way it did. I'm happy it's received its flowers eventually.

A silver smash! *.* I wish the label hadn’t got cold feet with it. I’d love to know exactly why they felt the need to pull it. thinking.gif When it was new it honestly felt like it was shaping up to be a hit. Bizarre!

+Quote this post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th September 2024, 02:35 AM